Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Loaded silverlight/blend finally

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Disclaimer: long post...   and  i cant seem to get HC's quote of:

"CoffeeHouse is NOT our main priority for Channel 9.  It never has been and never will. "  out of my head.   

But ill go ahead and post my first thoughts anyway.  A long time ago i believed coffeehouse to be a direct input into the ms machine... but i guess with all the negative ballmer posts, trolls, arguing ... we are just lucky to have it at all..

so - even though im probably talking to myself ..and yes - complaining - not like a broken record.. just trying to help.. i will post them:   Tongue Out

-First thoughts on trying to use Blend (to make silverlight file)

The black interface:  ok its cool - but it is VERY unfamiliar.  It feels like trying to work in lightwave or something.  That said - i do like it... (i switched to "light" UI but put it back.  My opinion is basically - if more apps were designed like this i would feel more comfortable.  Say for instance there was an Office 07 skin - that made Office look like this app.   Then i would feel like it's worth changing my perception of what an application should look like..

again - i do like it.. its just such a change - that i wish this had have been implimented as a sort of default vista App theme.  So if i do try to get used to it - i could apply that UI style to all my apps.. outlook corel..photoshop.

Next up  - the tutorials.

GREAT ... except - some dont work as they show. Example: Motion path.  Get pencil - draw line - convert to motion path is not highlighted (like it is in video)

Moving on... i gave up and found the timeline - and made stuff move - but it was - again - different than normal apps. (Rave, Flash, Premier, Sonar *apps with timelines) There is a dotted line connecting to where object moves too.. but the other end is just a dot - so you cant drag it around. 

Next..  so i looked for Import under file... not there.. finally figured out how to bring in an "asset"  but almost all apps us file import.

File formats supported are not many.  WMF - vector.. etc.

so i bring in a video - it is there - it starts imediately.. performance in silverlight is fantastic - and font rendering and images seem clearer than flash.. EXCELLENT

but again.. im stuck in black weird litewave land.. i want to show controls on the video.. perhaps i cant - but i swear i searched for what seemed like an hour last night - an i couldnt find them.  its just a box - with property options..

you got it - again - all different..

ok here's my last - scarriest - point..   It seems this cool , new, great app - is really for programmers - to learn design.

so its not ..really .. for designers themselves.. as it works nothing like every other graphics program in the world..  (ie copy paste a square from corel,, nope.  Export file/movie..  * i swear i could not figure out how to make a silverlight file.. I could save the project.  I could preview the project.  Where is export?  Import?

inclosing - i am indeed impressed - especially with the windows media easy embed.. but man..  Some designers are used to working in windows design apps - for like 10 years.. and this is like visual studio x litewave

not that thats bad.. just ... different

im going to keep playin with it.. hopefully ill figure it out

the end

PS - i realise coffeehouse is not a priority - or a place for rants.. i just figured you might want to hear first impressions of trying it out for 4 hours last nite.

please ignore if you dont - and so far - very impressive! 

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

A conference I attended today motivated me to try them out as well. I've tried Blend but not Silverlight yet.

While my impressions mirror Jamie's for the most part, I just can't get over how awkward the controls and navigation are.  So awkward are they, their awkwardness is mirrored only by that of the word "Awkward".

What really got me was how difficult it is to connect to a SQL data source.  Having to go into Visual Studio and create a custom class just seems redundant when there is supposed to be (as is my understanding) such a bold line between designers and developers.

Seriously, why can't I just throw this thing a connection string or database connection info?

Edit: I also wasn't too enthralled when my demo app crashed, nor when I discovered it freezes when it has an XML data source that it suddenly becomes disconnected from (i.e. Internet connection drops).  I'd expect it to give me an error or recover later, but freezing is simply not helpful.

• User profile image
    jamie

i just wanted to throw in that there were alot of new UI things i  liked...

i just dont mention stuff thats ..normal or good

lots to like... lots ..unfamiliar too..

is it the "new way" though.. (for all apps? )

edit: ie; will you never no what to expect?  where's w3bbo! Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie wrote:
    D
    "CoffeeHouse is NOT our main priority for Channel 9.  It never has been and never will. "  out of my head.   

Well of course not; C9 is primarily the videos, and the buzz/conversations/marketing they bring.

The coffehouse is a cess pit compared to that Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart wrote:

jamie wrote:
    D

Well of course not; C9 is primarily the videos, and the buzz/conversations/marketing they bring.

The coffehouse is a cess pit compared to that

they have videos here?  Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.