Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Singularity 1.0 finished and no video on C9?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Foxfire

    Sad

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Giv'em some time Smiley

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Source?

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    ZippyV wrote:
    Source?

    Maybe you should try going to the singularity site?
    http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/
    Doh Perplexed

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Chadk wrote:
    
    ZippyV wrote:
    Source?

    Maybe you should try going to the singularity site?
    http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/
    Doh


    I was waiting for someone to post a link. Wink

  • User profile image
    Cyonix

    Foxfire wrote:
    
    Sad

  • User profile image
    ZippyV
  • User profile image
    Charles

    They don't really have anything new to talk about... I asked them.

    When they do have something to talk about that we haven't already covered you will see it on C9...

    C

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Charles wrote:
    

    They don't really have anything new to talk about... I asked them.

    When they do have something to talk about that we haven't already covered you will see it on C9...

    C



    Researchers who don't want to talk endlessley?  I don't believe it!  Charles, burst into the Singularity offices and shout "Who are you, and what have you done with the real Singularity team?".

    Or I guess we'll just have to learn to be patient, like my mother always said.

    Herbie

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Charles wrote:
    They don't really have anything new to talk about... I asked them.


    When they do have something to talk about that we haven't already covered you will see it on C9...

    Can you see when/if they'll get round to developing a Managed windowing system and desktop for Singularity? Would be interesting...

  • User profile image
    Angus

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Charles wrote:
    They don't really have anything new to talk about... I asked them.


    When they do have something to talk about that we haven't already covered you will see it on C9...

    Can you see when/if they'll get round to developing a Managed windowing system and desktop for Singularity? Would be interesting...


    Yeah, I agree. I would really like to see something like that, especially with it all being managed code.

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Nothing to talk about? they created the first version of the OS, so what are they going to do with it? sit it on a shelf and forget?

  • User profile image
    Randolpho

    Screw the video, make with the download link!

     

    Seriously, how can I get my hands on it? I've got ideas for software I wanna write...

  • User profile image
    cornelius

    like it says in the whitepaper "Singularity Is A Journey, not a Destination"

    http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/publications/OSR2007_RethinkingSoftwareStack.pdf

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    cornelius wrote:
    like it says in the whitepaper "Singularity Is A Journey, not a Destination"

    http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/publications/OSR2007_RethinkingSoftwareStack.pdf

    And often the journey is more interesting than the actual destination.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    stevo_ wrote:
    so what are they going to do with it? sit it on a shelf and forget?


    It's a research project. Presumably they're going to continue working on it until it comes useful, right now it's just a functional microkernel with an innovative process management technique.

    I reckon it'll become a marketable product by v3.0 where Microsoft can push it in the Cluster/Enterprise computing area, maybe even other Science fields. Right now Apple's pre-empting Microsoft and advertising directly to scientists.

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    I reckon it'll become a marketable product by v3.0 where Microsoft can push it in the Cluster/Enterprise computing area, maybe even other Science fields. Right now Apple's pre-empting Microsoft and advertising directly to scientists.


    Sounds to me as if Microsoft is evolving itself into the next IBM. Lots of research. Lots of patents. No actual products.


  • User profile image
    Cyonix

    I want Singularity to be Windows 8 or even 7!

    I can dream can't I? Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.