Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Wow they're taking this home branding for WHS seriously

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

This is the image on the remote login page

Umm ok.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:

Umm ok.

Is there any way to disable the stock photos from the login page anyway?

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Umm ok.

Is there any way to disable the stock photos from the login page anyway?

Well you could overwrite them I guess. inetpub is easily accessible.

• User profile image
    blowdart

And they've stopped the work around for "strong" passwords damnit. You can no-longer add yourself manually to the remote users group, the web site rejects your password saying it's not strong enough

Dear WHS team,

A 12 letter and digit password which doesn't have any real words in it is strong enough for me thanks, without having to add a capital letter or punctuation mark.

So bang goes the password I've used for 3 or 4 years on my boxes.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    And they've stopped the work around for "strong" passwords damnit. You can no-longer add yourself manually to the remote users group, the web site rejects your password saying it's not strong enough

Why would a workaround be necessary? Can't you dive into the Local Security Policy MSC and reset it?

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

Why would a workaround be necessary? Can't you dive into the Local Security Policy MSC and reset it?

No, they've layered something on top [6]

Althought amusingly all the Windows Server admin icons are *still* there, along with useless stuff like the Indexing Service (guys Desktop search is there, it drives searching on the remote web site, why install index service? Or cluster admin tools? Perplexed)

At least they haven't install SMTP any more

• User profile image
    BryanF

So Microsoft's branding is cheesy and uninspiring to the point of contempt. On the bright side, they're pretty consistent.

This actually does make an otherwise appealling product look somewhat unattractive. Who wants to use software that looks like it's trying to be an antidepressant commercial?

Expressionless

• User profile image
    Blooming​Vision

BryanF wrote:
    So Microsoft's branding is cheesy and uninspiring to the point of contempt. On the bright side, they're pretty consistent.

This actually does make an otherwise appealling product look somewhat unattractive. Who wants to use software that looks like it's trying to be an antidepressant commercial?

That's actually not a bad image. It connects with a large demographic from an 'emotional' or, 'right-brain' angle. There is a little bit of cheese on it but, I think on balance it resonates with those that it reflects. I think it's also important to consider that companies like Microsoft have to architect their campaigns to appeal to an enormous audience so that rather than utilizing material that deeply resonates with any one niche, it is more important for them not to offend or alienate.  

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

BryanF wrote:
    Who wants to use software that looks like it's trying to be an antidepressant commercial?

ROFLOL!  Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.