Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Facebook - a thoroughly modern addiction

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CplCarrot

Nice opinion piece in the Telegraph on how all these social networking sites can be addicted. Seems Mr Scoble has been hooked. I particularly like these 2 quotes:

Facebook's administrators have access to a database about who knows who, how they know them, their sexual behaviour, favourite movies and what time they are chill: a database of which the Stasi or the Mukhabarat could only have dreamed.

Sooner or later, privacy be damned, the damage Facebook causes to the British economy in lost productivity may have to be offset by the sale of its data to marketing companies.

I did get pulled into LinkedIn but I have too many other addictions and this one did not get a look in against the competition

• User profile image
    Animaonline

I got dragged in to facebook by some friends, who told me oh man it's so cool blah blah blah.
    But now I'm starting to dislike facebook too because of all that privacy stuff, it seems like they know everything about me, I have been thinking about stopping using it.

• User profile image
    Ping

CplCarrot wrote:

Facebook's administrators have access to a database about who knows who, how they know them, their sexual behaviour, favourite movies and what time they are chill

True indeed, also your friends knows detail about what did you comment on other people and who you are friends with, a place to stalk people. It's quite annoying sometimes

• User profile image
    jamie

Mini thinks ms should buy facebook ...

http://www.facebook.com/p/Mini_Microsoft/590657791

*ive havent used it yet

** nice avatar mini Smiley

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I have a facebook account but I fail to see whats so "cool" about it.

It doesn't appear to be any different than tagged, hi5, myspace, and anyother social oriented sites.

• User profile image
    Sabot

I'm on Facebook and I still just don't get it.

It reminds me a lot of the odd CB radio in a way to keep up with your friends and have a good chin-wag but it has so many advantages that you could have only wished about back then.

... but now it's just passing me by, I'm sure that Facebook is pretty much for the <25's and I've had my time and now this this generations turn.

Geez now I feel old.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sabot wrote:

Geez now I feel old.

Which is why I refuse to open an account, even though I've had 6 invites in the last 2 months. From people who are old enough to know better.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    I have a facebook account but I fail to see whats so "cool" about it.

It doesn't appear to be any different than tagged, hi5, myspace, and anyother social oriented sites.

Facebook's "selling point" was that it was tailored to schools and colleges. Before recently, you could only join if you attended somewhere.

Anyone remember the Classmates.com adverts that littered Web 1.0? I'd say they missed the train, they should have provided for current students than just alumni.

Now Facebook is just another social-networking pit of depravity, but nowhere near as pathetic as Myspace or introverted as LiveJournal.

Anyone know what happened to FaceParty?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.