Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Orcas and System.Web.Extensions

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Created a new Web Application Project in Orcas, and it can't resolve System.Web.Extensions.

My web host doesn't support the 3.5 Framework yet, so I choose 3.0 as the ASP.NET version when I was creating the project.

So I figured, I would just add the reference manually, but when I browse to references, System.Web.Extensions is disabled???

Ideas?

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

You might have better luck asking your question over on ASP.NET forums if you haven't already...

http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34

• User profile image
    W3bbo

phreaks wrote:
    Created a new Web Application Project in Orcas, and it can't resolve System.Web.Extensions.

My web host doesn't support the 3.5 Framework yet, so I choose 3.0 as the ASP.NET version when I was creating the project.

So I figured, I would just add the reference manually, but when I browse to references, System.Web.Extensions is disabled???

Ideas?

You'll notice it's a .NET 3.5 assembly, yet your project is 3.0, Visual Studio won't let you reference imcompatible assemblies.

• User profile image
    offwhite

Try putting the assembly into the bin folder of your website and referencing it locally. If you eventually get an error about an ambiguous reference you will need to remove the one in the bin folder.

• User profile image
    offwhite

And remember that ASP.NET AJAX Extentions was not a part of .NET 3.0. It is an add-on to the framework so it was not treated like WCF, WF and CardSpace which is installed with .NET 3.0. Your hosting provider may just need to install the AJAX Extensions and drop the assembly into the GAC.

• User profile image
    phreaks

offwhite wrote:
    And remember that ASP.NET AJAX Extentions was not a part of .NET 3.0. It is an add-on to the framework so it was not treated like WCF, WF and CardSpace which is installed with .NET 3.0. Your hosting provider may just need to install the AJAX Extensions and drop the assembly into the GAC.

Oh right, good point.

The odd thing is that I didn't manually add the reference, VS added it automatically.

If I install the Ajax Toolkit, will that break anything with the 3.5 Extensions?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.