Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hooking an app up

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

What I want to do is simple yet probably more complicated than I imagine.

First off, the app (a small 108kb .exe file) HERE (also, only the armor "submit" button is hooked up, I havent had the time to hook up the other windows yet)

When navigating through it, I want to be able to have 2 databases. The BUY database, and the SELL database. In the BUY database theres ~8 sub categories (weapons, armor etc.)and then in each of those theres varying amounts of sub-sub-categories (still with me?)

I want the same database in the SELL database, sortof mirrored, but their purposes will be different, evidently.

Then, whan a user, for example goes:

Launch app > Click Buy > Clicks armor > Clicks Rune (a type of armor) > Then enters "Platebody" as a tag.

// This sends a query to the SELL part of the server, asking for anything in the categories Armor > Rune > and with a matching tag = "Platebody" \\

If the query comes back with an answer, then it shows the "rsn" of the user (which you have to enter when you open the app, I've yet to do that Form - so tbh in the query it must also send the RSN) which is selling the Rune Platebody.

If the query comes back with no answer, then then it accesses the BUY database and enters it in the Armor > Rune > "Platebody" until someone does the same query but to sell an item.

If you're unclear on anything, just ask... cause I'm completely lost. (well, not completely but I need a way of hooking it up to a non existant server - could I just put it on a free web hosting account or something? For now? I am hoping a large fansite will snap it up Wink)

Thanks
    Lloyd

* RSN = Runescape name

PS: Once I get this one completed, I hope to move on to other games in which you can trade Smiley

Also, this is in the Techoff already, but after ~2 days of it being there and getting no replies, I'm sticking it here. I've had some stuff on IRC about people really pushing for me to put this out, I must have had about 800 people on its channel asking for the release date.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    What I want to do is simple yet probably more complicated than I imagine.

First off, the app (a small 108kb .exe file) HERE (also, only the armor "submit" button is hooked up, I havent had the time to hook up the other windows yet)

I ran it, and it seemed straightforward.  You are going to want to figure out how to keep everything on one window, because it opened up multiple windows when I selected each option.  It's much clearer to the user if you do things that way (IMHO).
    Lloyd_Humph wrote:

When navigating through it, I want to be able to have 2 databases. The BUY database, and the SELL database. In the BUY database theres ~8 sub categories (weapons, armor etc.)and then in each of those theres varying amounts of sub-sub-categories (still with me?)

OK, but it might be easier to just put it all in 1 database Smiley

You could combine it into one table, but for simplicity, Use 2 tables that have

pk, item name, rsn, and price

Then, a buyer could search the sell table and return all the rsn's that have an item name that matches the tag the buyer is looking for.

The seller would search the buy table for the opposite information.

Then, where is the database going to be?  You are going to need a centralized server to hold this information.  You could probably rent one monthly or if you are brave and had the bandwidth, you can set one up on your local machine and serve it from there.

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I want the same database in the SELL database, sortof mirrored, but their purposes will be different, evidently.

Then, whan a user, for example goes:

Launch app > Click Buy > Clicks armor > Clicks Rune (a type of armor) > Then enters "Platebody" as a tag.

// This sends a query to the SELL part of the server, asking for anything in the categories Armor > Rune > and with a matching tag = "Platebody" \\

If the query comes back with an answer, then it shows the "rsn" of the user (which you have to enter when you open the app, I've yet to do that Form - so tbh in the query it must also send the RSN) which is selling the Rune Platebody.

If the query comes back with no answer, then then it accesses the BUY database and enters it in the Armor > Rune > "Platebody" until someone does the same query but to sell an item.

If you're unclear on anything, just ask... cause I'm completely lost. (well, not completely but I need a way of hooking it up to a non existant server - could I just put it on a free web hosting account or something? For now? I am hoping a large fansite will snap it up )

Thanks
    Lloyd

* RSN = Runescape name

PS: Once I get this one completed, I hope to move on to other games in which you can trade

Also, this is in the Techoff already, but after ~2 days of it being there and getting no replies, I'm sticking it here. I've had some stuff on IRC about people really pushing for me to put this out, I must have had about 800 people on its channel asking for the release date.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Great, thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to put it in one taskbar slot, and when I figure out how I'm going to get a system tray icon that pops up when it gets a hit (if it doesn't get a hit initially)

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Ok, so I got what I wanted (me thinks).

I've got a mysql database login/pass/name etc. provided by them (though its a weird address www.harrypotter7.com/lloyd). Also got an FTP host.

So, since I know sod all about mysql and it seems thats all they have to offer, I'm off to Google it and if anyone can give me a decent website to learn etc. or can just help me through it on MSN, that'd be great.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Well, I'm pretty happy with how stuffs going so far... I've got it all planned out Wink

I've got until Friday to give Zybez a working (I'm allowed a few mistakes etc.) prototype or they cut me loose. So, since I don't have time to learn a whole new load of stuff, I've got my friend who's handy with databases to give me a hand...

Planned it today, working on it 100% tomorrow, finish ASAP, then have ~2 days testing and improving etc.

Don't know how he plans on doing the database, but so long as it works and it works by Friday...

PS: GoddersUK have you used SwiftSwitch? When playing RS? (Its something I want to build on if you have Wink)

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.