Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Desktop Search

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Will Microsoft keep enhancing and shipping the product for Windows XP or will the development of the seperate utility cease and all efforts concentrate on the integrated tool in Windows Vista?

• User profile image
    Animaonline

I think they will be mostly focused on Windows Vista, but XP is not dead yet, you know. Big Smile

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Funny that no one from the team has responded to this yet. Ussually they are the first which doesnt bode well for the product.

• User profile image
    keeron

rjdohnert wrote:
    Funny that no one from the team has responded to this yet. Ussually they are the first which doesnt bode well for the product.

<sarcasm> What are they thinking of taking the weekend off???  </sarcasm>

The WDS on XP/2k3 is the same Engine as the one used in Vista .. just some UI slapped on top of it (no need in Vista, since the OS provides the search "UI"). I guess that would mean they can continue to work on it improving the UI for XP/2k3 while Vista+ OS ships with the same Engine and maybe a different UI, since there its integrated into the shell so might have to give a different look/feel and featureset.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I doubt it.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Alright guys, back from a painful weekend (my new knee acted up a bit Wink), here's what I can tell you about WDS:

We are working on a new release.

We will ship on Vista and XP.

We are not 100% sure if we can ship the "make coffee and clean the kitchen" feature in this release (but we have people working on it).

I can't go into more details right now, expect an official "coming out" later this summer.

• User profile image
    blowdart

PaoloM wrote:

We are not 100% sure if we can ship the "make coffee and clean the kitchen" feature in this release (but we have people working on it).

This is just typical Microsoft. You sell "wow" features up front, then drop them for delivery. WinFS was just a symptom of a long slide.

And now this.

You should be ashamed. Ashamed.

*snicker*

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Smiley

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

PaoloM wrote:
    Alright guys, back from a painful weekend (my new knee acted up a bit ), here's what I can tell you about WDS:

We are working on a new release.

We will ship on Vista and XP.

OH NOES YOUR GOING TO GET SUED BY DA GOOGLE LOLZ M$ M$
    PaoloM wrote:

I can't go into more details right now, expect an official "coming out" later this summer.

Good stuff, thanks for the update.

Now, this version will get back to having a Programs sub-group...right? Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.