Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Nuke shelter turns out to not be waterproof

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/15/buried.classic.ap/index.html

Calling it "our King Tut's tomb," thousands of people watched as a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere was pulled from the ground where it had been buried for 50 years as a time capsule of American Midwest culture.

The concrete vault encasing the car may have been built to withstand a nuclear attack, but it couldn't keep away water.

At Friday's ceremony, protective wrapping was removed to show the mud-caked vintage vehicle covered in rust. Shiny chrome was still visible around the doors and front fender, and workers were able to put air in the tires.

• User profile image
    borosen

To sad the shelter was not water proof.

Was 50 years the originators idea, or did they dig it up earlier than planned?

It seems a bit short to me?

Of course I could google it...

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Did they try starting the car? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Why does a nuclear shelter have to be water proof?

How to survive a nuclear attack During the Cold war?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

SecretSoftware wrote:

To prevent radioactive rain from the fallout clouds seeping in, or any radioactive air particles. These shelters must be hermetically sealed or have a safe source of air and water, in either case, they must be self-sufficient for 14 days minimum.

My guess is the sealant broke down over 50 years, allowing moisture, groundwater, and rainwater in.

• User profile image
    phreaks

W3bbo wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

To prevent radioactive rain from the fallout clouds seeping in, or any radioactive air particles. These shelters must be hermetically sealed or have a safe source of air and water, in either case, they must be self-sufficient for 14 days minimum.

Not to mention to prevent drowning... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Did they try starting the car?

I noticed the Tongue Out and at first when I read the article a few days ago it seemed logical that maybe the body was rusted but the engine might be workable...

No. Everything was rusted out, except the time capsule that they put in the trunk of the car, which conicidently was nuclear safe...by w3bbos definition

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.