Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Microsoft Mediaroom

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft Mediaroom

Microsoft Mediaroom IPTV and Multimedia Platform Debuts

Microsoft is renaming its IPTV platform Microsoft Mediaroom to better reflect the broader set of new connected entertainment experiences made possible today and the types of experiences anticipated in the future. In addition, the Microsoft Mediaroom name and identity are designed to be used by service providers as an ingredient brand to create a powerful competitive differentiator to support their consumer marketing activities.

Building upon existing Microsoft IPTV features, such as enhanced digital video recording, video on demand, high-definition television and instant channel zapping, the Microsoft Mediaroom platform introduces the following:

Personal media sharing. This enables consumers to easily listen to digital music and view digital photographs stored on PCs elsewhere in the home on the best screen in the house: the television.

Multimedia Application Environment. The environment offers richer support for Web services and applications, enabling service providers to deploy advanced features such as dynamic video-on-demand portals, casual games and interactive TV services.

Enhanced MultiView capabilities. These allow consumers to see multiple channels, programs and camera angles on one screen.

Microsoft renamed its IPTV platform Microsoft Mediaroom to better reflect its connected entertainment capabilities and to serve as an ingredient brand to service providers’ IPTV offerings.

• User profile image
    Bas
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

OK, I'll take the hit on this....QUIT (I need to watch my language)NG LINKING YOUR BLOG HERE

• User profile image
    Rossj

Cybermagellan wrote:
    OK, I'll take the hit on this....

You're fighting a losing battle, you *know* he gets special treatment.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Rossj wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote:OK, I'll take the hit on this....You're fighting a losing battle, you *know* he gets special treatment.
    I guess if I was a MSFT link-(I need to watch my language) I could post and say whatever I want and get away with it...

• User profile image
    eagle

Techmeme is linking to this post right now, wonder why the first post got pushed to page two so fast?

• User profile image
    Bas

Oh, the first post was still on the middle of the first page when I linked to it in this thread...

• User profile image
    eagle

I didn't see it there, but it nice to know it was of some use to you.

This is the #1 story over on Techmeme right now.

• User profile image
    Tensor

eagle wrote:
    Techmeme is linking to this post right now, wonder why the first post got pushed to page two so fast?

I guess you reposting it helped.

• User profile image
    eagle

That's the attention economy.

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:
    That's the attention economy echo chamber

Fixed that for you.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Will we even hear about "Microsoft Mediaroom" a year from now?

Right now, I'm stiffling a yawn.

"Personal Media Sharing" - I can do that with YouTube and MySpace.

"Multimedia Application Environment" - (dynamic video-on-demand portals, casual games and interactive TV services.) - I can do a lot of this with Comcast on demand, right? I get casual games on my XBox 360.

"Enhanced MultiView capabilities. " - I can only pay attention to one program at once. Repeat after me: less is more.

Sound like there are still plenty of people in Redmond who just "don't get it".

Come on, MS. Surprise us. Wow us. Do something unexpected.

• User profile image
    Bas

Jack Poison wrote:

Like a table that has a huge multi-touchscreen that recognizes objects for a surface, or a cross-platform version of the CLR, for instance.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Bas wrote:

Jack Poison wrote:

Like a table that has a huge multi-touchscreen that recognizes objects for a surface, or a cross-platform version of the CLR, for instance.

Exactly (to Surface).

More of the things like that, rather than this run-of-the-mill crap.

Think "Revolution", not "Evolution".

A cross-platform version of the CLR --by itself-- doesn't "Wow" the masses.. Give a killer app with it.

• User profile image
    Bas

Jack Poison wrote:

Exactly (to Surface).

So, doesn't that mean that they just did exactly what you asked them to do?

Jack Poison wrote:

A cross-platform version of the CLR --by itself-- doesn't "Wow" the masses.. Give a killer app with it.

It was unexpected, and quite a surprise, like you asked. And it certainly "Wowed" us, meaning the developer community. Big surprises don't always have to be marketable for the consumer masses.

Oh, by the way, Popfly was surprising, too.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.