Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft to Alter Vista (Modifying Vista's search?)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

Article

Reuters wrote:
    CHICAGO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) has agreed to modify its new Vista operating system in response to complaints that its desktop search function puts Google Inc. (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and other potential competitors at a disadvantage, a source familiar with the case told Reuters on Tuesday.

Um. Search is in almost every OS. Just because Google has its own desktop search and doesn't like the fact that Windows makes such a program useless doesn't mean they can cry "Antitrust violation!"

So, if I make a Sound Recorder alternative, can I cry "Antitrust violation!" and say that MS is making it impossible for my sound recorder to thrive in this day and age?

And...what about Spotlight? Isn't that a desktop search utility too?

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

mVPstar wrote:
    Article

Reuters wrote:
    CHICAGO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) has agreed to modify its new Vista operating system in response to complaints that its desktop search function puts Google Inc. (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and other potential competitors at a disadvantage, a source familiar with the case told Reuters on Tuesday.

Um. Search is in almost every OS. Just because Google has its own desktop search and doesn't like the fact that Windows makes such a program useless doesn't mean they can cry "Antitrust violation!"

So, if I make a Sound Recorder alternative, can I cry "Antitrust violation!" and say that MS is making it impossible for my sound recorder to thrive in this day and age?

And...what about Spotlight? Isn't that a desktop search utility too?

Well, one could be weasel out of that by saying how Apple isn't a big bad corporation and stuff.  But they are.

sndrec32 is pretty sad, so I dunno about your choice of example.

I surely hope the changes are not going to affect the user experience, because I'm content with the way it works so far.  I avoided the stupid Eolas "Click to activate" patch for as long as I could, but at some point, it had to be installed.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

sh!t, not again some pus.sy crying about OS integration Perplexed

Imo search functionality is integral part of OS experience, the same as web browser. Looks like google is taking the same path as netscape. Crying incompetent babies. So much about 'do no evil'. Envious dissemblers.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

DoomBringer wrote:
    sndrec32 is pretty sad, so I dunno about your choice of example.

Eh. I was thinking about notepad...still works nonetheless.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

First, Microsoft will create a mechanism for end users and OEMs to select a default program to handle desktop search. ISVs will be able to register their desktop search products for this default, in the same way that ISVs can register third-party web browsers and media players as the default in Windows today.

Second, the default desktop search program will be launched whenever Windows launches a new top-level window to provide search results. This will include an existing location on the Start menu that a user can select to display additional search results in a new window. Windows Vista also includes search boxes located in the upper-right hand corner of various windows in the operating system, such as all the windows used to explore the files on the computer -- often called "Explorer" windows -- and the Control Panel. In these windows, when the user enters a query Vista will continue to display the search results using the internal Vista desktop search functionality. Microsoft has agreed, however, to add a link that, if clicked, will launch the default desktop search program and display search results from that program.

Third, Microsoft will inform ISVs, OEMs, and end users that the desktop search index in Vista is designed to run in the background and cede precedence over computing resources to any other software product, including third-party desktop search products and their respective search indices. Microsoft will emphasize that there is no technical reason why OEMs and end users cannot, if they choose to, install additional desktop search products on their system, even if those products maintain separate indices from that operated by Windows. products maintain separate indices from that operated by Windows. In addition, Microsoft will provide technical information that will enable other desktop search companies also to design their products to optimize their priorities on the computer and minimize any impact on performance.

Microsoft will deliver the required changes in Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista, which Microsoft currently anticipates will be available in beta form by the end of the year.

Read the Status Report.

Those aren't huge concessions. Or even concessions at all.

Basically:

1) Indexing will remain enabled. Instant Search will be Microsoft's.
    2) Google et al can plug into various boxes and have it launch their application with a search string (basically open a URL).
    3) Microsoft will "provide documentation" to allow Google et al to modify their indexing services to take priority over Microsoft's.

Currently, OEMs can modify Microsoft defaults; so "extending" that to search is a misnomer. Microsoft will just make it "saner."

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Its a sad day when Ford is forced to install a Chevrolet engine.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Another '(I need to watch my language) pleasing' feature, great.. like the stupid N versions in europe that almost literally NO ONE bought because believe it or not EU, people actually WANT basic media functions etc..

• User profile image
    Rowan

That is ridiculously and undeniably stupid.

I think MS should be forced to port IE7's updated rendering engine to IE6 and include it in a critical update to all IE6 capable PCs. That would at least benefit mankind to some degree.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Personaly I think that the real loser in most of these antitrust cases is the consumer. Instead of just buying a pc and turning it on and using it, you have to buy it, turn it on, download/buy a load of 3rd party applications that don't integrate as well with the os and are less reliable.

I don't realy care who makes my software so long as it does what I want, does it well, is easy to use and not too expensive.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

binah wrote:
    Micro$oft needs to be shut down and all it's upper management thrown in jail for crimes against humanity.

Well that just lacked effort, didn't it?  Trolling's bad anough, but lazy trolling?

1/10 for effort.

Herbie

• User profile image
    phreaks

http://whois.domaintools.com/googlesucks.com

Registrant:
    Google Inc.
    (DOM-258923)
    1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View
    CA
    94043 US

Expires on..............: 2007-Oct-15. [6]

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dr Herbie wrote:

binah wrote:
    Micro$oft needs to be shut down and all it's upper management thrown in jail for crimes against humanity.

Well that just lacked effort, didn't it?  Trolling's bad anough, but lazy trolling?

1/10 for effort.

Herbie

Except you forget

-2 for using Micro$oft which even slashdot thinks is tiresome.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    3) Microsoft will "provide documentation" to allow Google et al to modify their indexing services to take priority over Microsoft's.

That will keep your computer nice and speedy. Having 2 indexs going at once Expressionless

• User profile image
    Refrax

if the google software is not loaded, would the indexer still work like it does today? or would the google deal cripple the Microsoft one to force me to use google?

• User profile image
    stevo_

To me, the point isn't the potential that a user will use googles alternative (probably no doubt forced upon us by google toolbar, firefox, all that (I need to watch my language)).The problem I have is with wasting time on implementing such an utterly pointless feature. Why don't we have an, ITaskbarBigMenuThatCannotBeCalledStartMenuForLegalReasons, an ISystemTray and INotificationArea as well so that all the other bitching companies can plug their shite all over the OS.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

I am of the opinion that if Microsoft had a better reputation amongst the population, then this would be a much smaller issue.

My, it's funny how the past comes back to haunt.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Jack Poison wrote:

I am of the opinion that if Microsoft had a better reputation amongst the population, then this would be a much smaller issue.

My, it's funny how the past comes back to haunt.

Actually, Microsoft has a fairly good rep amongst the "general population".

• User profile image
    BryanF

On the bright side, they've finally felt compelled to talk about Vista SP1. [6]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.