Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Google’s monopoly

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cyonix

    I was reading neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41064) and i found a comment made by Post-It Note in realtion to google makind Microsoft change the built in search in Vista SP1.

    Post-It Note on Neowin.net wrote:
    Why doesn't Google give me the choice of using MSN search while on www.google.com? I mean, I still like to use the interface, but why can't Google, instead of displaying Google's results, display MSN search results? Talk about using their power over web searching to squash the less popular search engines!
    I totally agree with this, Google has a monopoly on the portal for internet search, why doesn't it let me use Microsoft's search engine instead?

    By the way, I'm now using Live Search. I'm really starting to not like google.

  • User profile image
    Ray6

    Cyonix wrote:
    I was reading neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41064) and i found a comment made by Post-It Note in realtion to google makind Microsoft change the built in search in Vista SP1.

    Post-It Note on Neowin.net wrote:
    Why doesn't Google give me the choice of using MSN search while on www.google.com? I mean, I still like to use the interface, but why can't Google, instead of displaying Google's results, display MSN search results? Talk about using their power over web searching to squash the less popular search engines!
    I totally agree with this, Google has a monopoly on the portal for internet search, why doesn't it let me use Microsoft's search engine instead?

    By the way, I'm now using Live Search. I'm really starting to not like google.


    Certainly becoming a cause for concern


  • User profile image
    die-Sel

    google is for sure losing the plot. I didnt know they kept my search results for 18months.

    Goodbye google.

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    Google's monopoly in search is making it harder for other e-mail providers to compete .

    They should offer Hotmail as an option for Google account sign ups.

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    Well I guess they figure if they werent a monopoly on search, Microsoft would be, just like it is in other aspects of IT.

    I'm personally using Yahoo search more and more. It just works very well and finding specific pages.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    Vote with your feet!

    Use another search engine.

    Google doesn't have the monopoly on innovation.

    http://www.kartoo.com/ & http://www.quintura.com/ are just two examples of real innovation in the search space!

    I'm sure we can find more!

    So long Google, you have controlled and made money out of my butt for so long, it's time for a change.

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Of course, Google aren't exactly going to disappear if you stop using their search...

    Stop using AdWords too! Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    odujosh

    Silliest thread I ever seen.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    odujosh wrote:
    Silliest thread I ever seen.


    There is something real in this thread. Microsoft needed to open their search field in the IE for other search providers, such as Google. It's a Microsoft product... It's used by most people, but anyway it's their product. 

    Google homepage is a Google's product. It's also used by most people... Why do they not open their website for other search providers...

    Weird idea, but somehow really interesting!

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    Does google have monopoly? Its like saying that microsoft has monopoly, which i dont think.

    But i agree. Google should open their site. Allow us to switch out the engine, yet let the actual way its shown, be the same.

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    die-Sel wrote:
    Bye bye google


    Hello IXQuick Smiley

    and Dogpile. Dogpile searches through them all, which is handy Smiley

    Also, I've fallen for BeTheBot.com - really handy Smiley

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    offwhite

    The point of forcing MS to open up Windows to competition is because MS can make it hard for competitors to offer the alternatives. By locking out products they fortify their monopoly.

    But with Google, there is absolutely nothing forcing you to use their website. You can just as easily go to Live.com. And in Firefox you can add your own custom search provider. It is very easy to do and you could even add one for Live.com and make it your default. I set up one to search MSDN.

    The problem with the monopoly is that it kills competition.

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    odujosh wrote:
    Silliest thread I ever seen.


    Yes the world is flat and made in seven days ...

    Can you smell coffee yet?

  • User profile image
    odujosh

    littleguru wrote:
    
    odujosh wrote:
    Silliest thread I ever seen.


    There is something real in this thread. Microsoft needed to open their search field in the IE for other search providers, such as Google. It's a Microsoft product... It's used by most people, but anyway it's their product. 

    Google homepage is a Google's product. It's also used by most people... Why do they not open their website for other search providers...

    Weird idea, but somehow really interesting!


    The difference is switching costs.

    OS:
    1) Time to load
    2) Time to regrok OS skills
    3) Time to reallign software usage with new platform

    Web Site:
    1) Time to type new URL/URI

    See it really does not mirror what pain microsoft causes by not thinking about extensibility points when adding new features to the OS. Its a whole different arena.

    If anything Google makes it easy to enter, leave, and integrate their product into others as one can. Their APIs make mash ups easy.

  • User profile image
    anand.t

    uriel wrote:
    Google's search marketshare hasn't broken 50% yet, and they are suddenly a "monopoly"? I agree with odujosh, what a stupid thread.


    They have obtained obsolute monopoly in many countries. Probably msft and yahoo should sue google countrywise

  • User profile image
    Cyonix

    I was offline while you all replied Sad

    uriel wrote:
    Google's search marketshare (domestic) hasn't broken 50% yet, and they are suddenly a "monopoly"? I agree with odujosh, what a stupid thread.
    I really can't believe that percentage... Every person i know uses google. Perhaps it's just Australia Perplexed

    odujosh wrote:
    See it really does not mirror what pain microsoft causes by not thinking about extensibility points when adding new features to the OS. Its a whole different arena.
    Search has always been a part of windows, the only thing new is it is indexing files to speed up results.

    Please tell me the "pain" that is caused by Microsoft not providing extensibility points for Vista's search.

    I dont believe essiential things such as search in an operating system should be forced to provide the ability to be replaced.

    It's like forcing Microsoft to allow people to replace the part that launches programs when using the start menu, simply so you can record what users are opening.

    I just hope the changes Microsoft makes doesn't effect the way it works now.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    A lot of people think Google IS the internet.

  • User profile image
    die-Sel

    Google says Vista search changes not enough


    Give that a read. Google are just milking this now. Dam ( i need to watch my language) Tongue Out:P

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.