Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Silverlight in 21 days!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wkempf

And I don't mean one of those cheesy development books that claim you can learn a technology in only 21 days.  No, I mean the Mono team, though volunteers, managed to implement Moonlight, their Silverlight implementation on Linux, in only 21 days!

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Jun-21.html

No matter how you dice this, no matter what you think of .NET/Mono and Silverlight/Moonlight, this is something massively impressive and we should all be singing praises to those that have achieved this!

I'm excited by this, and I have no interest in Silverlight/Moonlight.  I'd rather have cross platform WPF.  But 21 days?!!  Wow!!

• User profile image
    footballism

If they really ended up implementing the Moonlight within the alleged days, then you by no means should use it;)

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

Dup post deleted.

• User profile image
    wkempf

footballism wrote:
    If they really ended up implementing the Moonlight within the alleged days, then you by no means should use it

Sheva

I know you're joking, but did you read the post linked to?  They don't claim it's 100% complete.  Nor do they claim there's no bugs.  Nor do they claim it's production ready.  They haven't released a build for these very reasons.  However, they've implemented enough in those 21 days to run several sample applications and probably have enough to declare "beta" quality.

• User profile image
    cornelius

The past 21 days have been some of the most intense hacking days that I have ever had and the same goes for my team that worked 12 to 16 hours per day every single day --including weekends-- to implement Silverlight for Linux in record time. We call this effort Moonlight.

lol talk about slave labor! fairplay to them and to microsoft by having software being developed for them for free

• User profile image
    wkempf

cornelius wrote:
    The past 21 days have been some of the most intense hacking days that I have ever had and the same goes for my team that worked 12 to 16 hours per day every single day --including weekends-- to implement Silverlight for Linux in record time. We call this effort Moonlight.

lol talk about slave labor! fairplay to them and to microsoft by having software being developed for them for free

I've put in worse hours.  Not smart for companies to expect this kind of output, but I'd not classify it as slave labor.  Especially in this specific case, where it was done by volunteers who wanted to succeed at any cost.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Since this is open source, can we expect Moonlight to be ported elsewhere (freebsd, solaris, ...)?

• User profile image
    Rich2k

I've not played with it, or looked at Moonlight but if it's not 100% complete, then how have they implemented it in 21 days?  Seems to me they have some working examples but not a complete silverlight implementation.

Not to say they haven't done good work, because they have.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Since this is open source, can we expect Moonlight to be ported elsewhere (freebsd, solaris, ...)?

Definately.  Mono runs just about everywhere, and I think you can expect they'd do the same with Moonlight.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Rich2k wrote:

I've not played with it, or looked at Moonlight but if it's not 100% complete, then how have they implemented it in 21 days?  Seems to me they have some working examples but not a complete silverlight implementation.

Not to say they haven't done good work, because they have.

No one claimed it was "complete".  But it sounds like it's beyond just "run a few specific examples" and is closer to beta quality for this sort of thing.  With out a spec to base it on, it won't ever be "complete".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.