Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Annoying new type of web ad on msnbc

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • ScanIAm

I noticed this yesterday, but it hit me again today.

From the same people who brought us the 'dancing shadow' mortgage ads, comes 'ads tha stop your browser from scrolling'.

If you click on the link below, you'll see some story on msnbc.

If you use your scrollwheel to scroll down at an average pace, as soon as your mouse is over the advertisement, the scrolling stops.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485

I welcome our new AJAX overlords, but this is rediculous.

• phreaks

Ya, that's rude.

I guess we will all have to get accustomed to either:
    a) not using the scroll wheel
    b) positioning the cursor as far right as possible before using the scroll wheel to avoid with the most probability of not getting ad-stuck.

• borosen

It is in situations like this, that adblock is really nice to have.

Adblock has really made my life (browsing life that is) less infuriating.

• W3bbo

borosen wrote:
    It is in situations like this, that adblock is really nice to have.

Amen to that.

Norton Internet Security has an adblocker, but it's rudimentary and operates at the firewall level (by intercepting HTTP verbs for resources from known adservers and replacing them with bright red images). It's nowhere near as good as Firefox's (which just removes them in first place). I don't know if NIS's let you define your own regular or wildcard expressions for adserver resources, but better than nothing, I guess.

Note that NIS has never been installed on this machine, I only know this because a friend of mine had it installed. I'd never touch anything with "Norton" in its name with a 10-foot pole.

• ScanIAm

I'm at work now, so I can't modify my machine, but at home, I use an adblocking hosts file that catches most of this garbage.

• cbright

Try squsi tracking blocker. It's URL based which is muc more efficient than editing hosts files. It's got both a global database and a local one that you can use to add or override the global one.

You can download it free from download.com. Does the job on the dancing cowboys and the home loans. Plus  it's great at blocking the flash ads.  MSNBC is now actually readable.

• Xenon101

I agree that when a website is ad supported they deserve to make their money and that won't happen if you block their ads.
    However it is also the responsibility of the advertiser to ensure that their adverts are tried & tested in every major browser and don't break essential functionality.

Loss of scroll wheel use is seriously taking the biscuit but recently a lot of websites have been breaking this functionality.
    Come on web developers! Get it sorted!

• borosen

Siyavash wrote:

borosen wrote:

If you don't like advertisement on a website, don't visit it. Regarding adblocking, I'm gonna quote someone for this one :

What business do you have reading an obviously ad supported website and striping out the ads. If you are going to have that little class you might want to keep it to yourself. Or maybe you can offer to pay the website for the content some other way. These people have to work for a living to feed their families just like everyone else, but you want them to provide you with information for free. What do you do for a living? maybe you should give me something for free. Why don't you come mow my lawn or clean my toilets. Freeloading jacka**.

Would that not make you a freeloader as well?

Thanks for the quote. Here is a link for you:
    What ever happened to Civility on the Internet?

I did hesitate to answer your post, but here I am.

In an attempt to rectify myself, (without success, I am sure) I only block annoying ads.

But to make things worse, I also use noscript and cookiesafe.

I'm not alone though, in getting tired of annoying ads. See the interest in IE7pro, safariblock. Opera has a similar feature.

Just out of curiosity, Do you use a browser with popup blocker activated?

Edit:
    I realized after I posted that it looks like I am defending my behavior by pointing on the behavior of others. This is not my intention.

• ScanIAm

Siyavash wrote:

borosen wrote:

If you don't like advertisement on a website, don't visit it. Regarding adblocking, I'm gonna quote someone for this one :

What business do you have reading an obviously ad supported website and striping out the ads. If you are going to have that little class you might want to keep it to yourself. Or maybe you can offer to pay the website for the content some other way. These people have to work for a living to feed their families just like everyone else, but you want them to provide you with information for free. What do you do for a living? maybe you should give me something for free. Why don't you come mow my lawn or clean my toilets. Freeloading jacka**.

Nice sentiment, but I have no intention of utilizing the product.  I'll 'view' an ad long enough to determine if the product appeals to me (or in some cases, has boobies), but if I'm not in the market for a car/house/soulmate, then nobody is served by forcing me to watch a car/house/soulmate ad.

I'm, at least, being honest about the arrangement.  If you truly wish to  prove that you aren't a freeloader, then you should probably purchase something from the advertizer. 

But ultimately, the idea that advertizing is 'work' is completely rediculous.  It's craft, (as in 'Arts-and') and since the advent of the internet, it's sole modus operandi has been to f*ck up my browsing experience.

So I use an adblocking hosts file.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.