Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Missing feature? or Missing the point?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • GooberDLX

I'm currently using the absolutely wonderful Visual Studio .Net 2003 .. and am creating a simple solution with source projects and one included web application project.

The problem I'm having, aside from the fact that I'm trying to figure out whether it's the IDE or me that is not getting the point, is that when I go to utilize an object tag in the global.asax ..

#1 - I have to edit the global.asax file manually because the object tag is not a part of the design or code-behind.

#2 - The solution isn't aware of the "object" I place in the object tag.

Luckily, I created the "object" using the singleton pattern and can access it statically, but that defeats the purpose of me using the object tag.

Is there something I'm missing? or is it really the IDE? Look at it objectively, not subjectively Wink

Jake

• bitmask

I believe the object tag capability in global.asax is there just for some amount of backward compatibility with ASP. In other words, not many people use them and they are not well supported in the environment. Is thre a specific reason you wanted to use object tags? There are lots of alternative solutions (you've found one already) depending on if you want a singleton object for the application, or an object in each session, etc.

• GooberDLX

Thanks! I took this over to ASP.net forums and they were too quiet themselves..

the only reason I wanted to use an object tag was for syntactic sugar. Instead of calling an instance, going through the application/session object, or define a using statement.. I just wanted to present an ASPX developer with an object (which has restrictions on construction).. instead of them finding out how to get to the object themselves.

Similar to the Application and Cache object.

Instead of writing...

System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Cache

its just for an ASPX developer (presentation)...

Cache

Why cant I do that with my objects? Is there a way outside of using an object tag in the global.asax to accomplish exactly the same thing and have the IDE recognize it?

Jake

• Knute

Jake,
    Your sisters are cute! Wink

~ Knute

• GooberDLX

Knute wrote:
    Jake,
    Your sisters are cute! Wink

~ Knute

Thanks Wink I'll let them know!

Jake

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.