Coffeehouse Thread

63 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

coffeehouse group on facebook...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

i set one up.  its empty though.. Smiley

anyone on facebook in coffeehouse - try joining?

* its too hard to find 9ers on facebook without it?

i checked for channel 9 groups ..but didnt see like any were made by any of us..

its pretty cool..
    i see why scoble/mini are going on about it

ms.. buy it Smiley

* just search groups for coffeehouse and join

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2429226418

• User profile image
    Sabot

Woooow! I've joined!

(so there are now two of us, [C])

Apparently the difference between the social networking groups can be broadly drawn against social and economic groups.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6236628.stm

So using Facebook means that you're less likely to be a Chav!

• User profile image
    blowdart

For a "social" networking site Facebook users are very fond of closed groups.

Kind of defeats the object methinks.

• User profile image
    Bas

So, the site revolves around seeing pictures of people in your social circle? Wow..

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

blowdart wrote:

Well if you look at where they started, colleges, do you neccesarily want everyone in the world to be able to see your name, address, personal data and those drunk pictures of you and your buddies at the frat party?
    Tongue Out

Seven member nows, lucky Windows Seven!

• User profile image
    AndyC

blowdart wrote:

I'm not so sure. I think the original point of Facebook was that it was largely about creating an online focal point for groups of "real" friends. Unlike the likes of myspace which are just about whoring your private life out to anyone that'll vaguely listen.

• User profile image
    jamie

ha cool.  * re- above:  i think you only see pics and profiles from people youve "added".  So far it seems sort of like Messenger x wordpress..  still playing with it.  if youre not logged in - here is a screenshot of profile and group so you guys can see without joining..

* just wish there less SCHOOL stuff... i can see why its important - but i hope they make it more for regualr people

** plus if the real c9 goes down for HOURS like last night... there is now a place to check to see if it really is down

• User profile image
    eagle

This is funny, with the delay in C9V4 the community moves to facebook.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I like facebook, nice and clean UI. The Ajax feels very lightweight and fast.

• User profile image
    jamie

eagle wrote:

..well its not like we havent asked ..for 4 years about way more profile options (like facebook now offers)

v4?  LESS profile options  Tongue Out

anyway - its all in good fun.  its cool seeing 9ers real names / pics / locations etc - but NOT on messenger (which i dont open very often)

ps eagle - join Smiley

• User profile image
    Massif

I've been avoiding Facebook in much the same way I avoided mySpace... My wife's on it, and she can be all sociable, I'll stay with the poor poor features of live spaces thanks.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I fight against joining Facebook or/and other social networks, where I have to do a lot stuff - like writing messages, reading messages, having new friends etc... The only thing I'm part of is twitter - that because it being very limited - and Popfly - that because I like to test stuff...

Facebook and Co just keep me busy without adding real value to my life.

• User profile image
    Bas

littleguru wrote:
    Facebook and Co just keep me busy without adding real value to my life.

Excellently phrased. Besides, I find conversing with people on a forum to be a lot more social than adding someone as a friend on some site.

• User profile image
    jamie

i dunno facebook seems different though..

i could see how after using this for a while - and finding more friends - it could be a pretty valuable tool.

im the king of empty blogs Smiley  facebook doesnt seem so intimidating - like a blank post of Wordpress: "hmm what shall i bestoe apon the world today"

its just casual - snippets of life..

if you decide to share your info / photos / ...life with others - in return you get access to their info / photos ..life

this will be great for family stuff

edit:  if this was a boxed software application a sample name would be "Friends"  ..so you open it and can see whats going on with everyone

• User profile image
    littleguru

Bas wrote:
    Excellently phrased. Besides, I find conversing with people on a forum to be a lot more social than adding someone as a friend on some site.

Scoble said that he had added 500 new friends to facebook in one day. I asked him (over twitter), which one he thinks are real, and which one are just, you know, "friends"? He didn't reply on that...

This applies also to MySpace. How can somebody manage and take care of like 1000 friends? If you, let's take an example, chat with one of them on each day, you need 3 years to have spoken with all of them. It's silly, keeps you busy and has no real value.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

MySpace and Facebook

Let's build communities online where you can commingle with complete strangers with as little an investment of your time as "link me plz?  kthx!" and stroke your ego by publishing useless trivia about yourself -- in full photographic color and motion video even! -- in a terrbily misguided and vain effort to see if anybody else in the world cares.

Meanwhile, the unnamed forces that be collect all sorts of information about you and your "friends," sharing this data with third parties for great financial gain or using it themselves to further their own agendas!

If you build it, they'll come.  The spammers, that is...  And with a full fledged Web 2.0 API to abuse the system with too!  Thanks, Facebook!

• User profile image
    eagle

jamie wrote:

eagle wrote:

..well its not like we havent asked ..for 4 years about way more profile options (like facebook now offers)

v4?  LESS profile options 

anyway - its all in good fun.  its cool seeing 9ers real names / pics / locations etc - but NOT on messenger (which i dont open very often)

ps eagle - join

Your absolutely right, the C9 Team stopped listening long ago.

I was invited to join Facebook by a beautiful woman from Sheffield England, but when when I went to sign-up they wanted all my contacts.

• User profile image
    Bas

littleguru wrote:

Scoble said that he had added 500 new friends to facebook in one day. I asked him (over twitter), which one he thinks are real, and which one are just, you know, "friends"? He didn't reply on that...

Exactly. The word 'friend' now means no more than 'a link I don't necessarily know anything about'.

Sure, these sites allow you to manage your 'friends' easily, but.. If you need to 'manage' them, and if you don't have a lot of time to spend on them, then they're not really friends, are they?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.