Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Citizens rejoice! (Doctor Who finale)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dahat

…your lord and master stands on high, playing track three.

If you have yet to see the season/series finale of Doctor Who... stop reading.

Thoughts?

Dare I say it... I'm unimpressed. This last three episode arc written by Russell T. Davies was simply the standard cataclysmic season ending arc we've come to expect from Davies and frankly... it's getting kind of old.

The entire regeneration/restoration of the Doctor was just corny, I'm very let down to hear that Jack Harkness has got another 5 billion years or so to him (I can't stand the man), not to mention the best Davies could think of for an ending was once again "What? What? What? What?" I'm now finding myself glad that Davies will be leaving at the end of the next season/series.

The one redeeming quality of this episode... was that the Toclafane did not turn out to be some relation to the Daleks (yet?).

Call me crazy but I think Blink spoiled us with a truly good psychedelic episode.

Bring on more from Steven Moffat (The Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, Blink), and Paul Cornell (Father's Day, Human Nature, The Family of Blood).

• User profile image
    Ambition

The series has only just begun over here (Australia)... overall it's started on a much weaker note than its predecessors (what was with that first episode? - they drained the Thames, into the core of the Earth... it would have just evaporated going through the mantle, not to mention caused some fairly severe structural damage to the Earth when the steam ended up getting stuck in cracks in the crust on the way back up...).

I like Torchwood though... well, so far - I've only seen up to episode two... we seem to get everything ten years after everyone else over here... Sad

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Ambition wrote:
    The series has only just begun over here (Australia)... overall it's started on a much weaker note than its predecessors (what was with that first episode? - they drained the Thames, into the core of the Earth... it would have just evaporated going through the mantle, not to mention caused some fairly severe structural damage to the Earth when the steam ended up getting stuck in cracks in the crust on the way back up...).

I like Torchwood though... well, so far - I've only seen up to episode two... we seem to get everything ten years after everyone else over here...

I recommend you to use P2P. You will be much closer to the real life! Wink

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    irascian

It was a steaming turd of an episode. Davies has lost it completely.Suddenly the doctor is an alien with super powers (all that nonsense with light bolts out of his hands, levitating in mid-air) and as is usual with Davies he wrote himself into numerous corners and then just invented some ridiculous toy/power to magically solve the problem.The man hasn't a clue when it comes to basic narrative structure,  plotting and pacing, or writing decent dialogue. It's hard to believe that this is the man who gave us the excellent "(I need to watch my language) as Folk" and "Casanova".An insider friend tells me that the reason Moffat's episodes (he wrote "Blink") are so much better than the others are because he's the only one who stands up to Davies, who is overall script editor.The man is clearly WAY past his sell-by date. Sack him now. Please! Or the Dr Who franchise is dead.

• User profile image
    Jaz

irascian wrote:
    It was a steaming turd of an episode. Davies has lost it completely.Suddenly the doctor is an alien with super powers (all that nonsense with light bolts out of his hands, levitating in mid-air) and as is usual with Davies he wrote himself into numerous corners and then just invented some ridiculous toy/power to magically solve the problem.The man hasn't a clue when it comes to basic narrative structure,  plotting and pacing, or writing decent dialogue. It's hard to believe that this is the man who gave us the excellent "(I need to watch my language) as Folk" and "Casanova".An insider friend tells me that the reason Moffat's episodes (he wrote "Blink") are so much better than the others are because he's the only one who stands up to Davies, who is overall script editor.The man is clearly WAY past his sell-by date. Sack him now. Please! Or the Dr Who franchise is dead.

QFT

I keep watching it and always end up with a bitter taste of disapointment (and yes the episodes that people in this thread have previously listed are by far the best).

The ending was completely terrible, shockingly terrible.  bring on some good writing pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

• User profile image
    blowdart

• User profile image
    Tensor

Agree - blergh crap half arsed ending. The toclofane are the humans from the end of time thing was so telegraphed they may as well have just told you from the start. And had anyone not worked out that Captain Jack was the Face of Bo? BEside that the whole thing was a lazy deus ex machinal. Boo.

At least were rid of martha.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Tensor wrote:
    And had anyone not worked out that Captain Jack was the Face of Bo?

Me.

The problem is that the entire new series has become incredibly selfish. Each finale is saving the human race, nothing more. Never aliens truely saved. It's become very self centred; one more reason it's set on Earth so much. Davis has no imagination.

• User profile image
    j0217995

When do the series start showing up on SciFi in the US?     

• User profile image
    dahat

blowdart wrote:

Tensor wrote:
    And had anyone not worked out that Captain Jack was the Face of Bo?
    Me.

Nor had I.

blowdart wrote:
    The problem is that the entire new series has become incredibly selfish. Each finale is saving the human race, nothing more. Never aliens truely saved. It's become very self centred; one more reason it's set on Earth so much. Davis has no imagination.

Isn’t that part of the curse of science fiction? You need the audience to be able to relate to the characters and situations, something that is far easier when it is set close to home... well that and alien worlds and makeup is not the cheapest in terms of production.

• User profile image
    blowdart

dahat wrote:

Isn’t that part of the curse of science fiction? You need the audience to be able to relate to the characters and situations, something that is far easier when it is set close to home.

Easier? Simpler certainly and lazy writing. Keep in mind Davis's history, Que@r as Folk was ok, but it's not like it was intelligent writing.

• User profile image
    dahat

j0217995 wrote:

July they say for Season 3 of Doctor Who with the 2006's Chrstimas Special... still no word that I've heard yet for Torchwood... however I suspect that some heavy editing may need to occur before SciFi would air Torchwood here.

• User profile image
    Tensor

dahat wrote:

j0217995 wrote:

July they say for Season 3 of Doctor Who with the 2006's Chrstimas Special... still no word that I've heard yet for Torchwood... however I suspect that some heavy editing may need to occur before SciFi would air Torchwood here.

I'd pray to be spared Torchwood. Its oh so bad. Every episode can be boiled down to;

Someone swears early in the episode in a very obvious and heavy handed way - and almost gives a lingering "hey did you hear that I swore" look to the camera. You know - yo make it clear its not for, like, kids.

Two people of the same gender kiss.

Captain Jack will die, only get better - so someone who for some reason didnt yet know his "big secret" will find out.

Gwen will sleep with someone (if not allready involved in above mentioned kiss) - but either it will be under alien mind control or some other crappy reason, and she'll feel bad about it for a bit and think about telling her partner.

Grah. Rubbish.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

I want to know whether all this was in the pipeline when they came up with the idea if Rose absorbing the time vortex? or whether an invincible captain jack > Face of Bo was an afterthought.

Ambition wrote:

Ouch, you have a long time to wait, that was the Christmas special wasn't it?

• User profile image
    Ambition

Yep. Sad

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

Tensor wrote:
    I'd pray to be spared Torchwood. Its oh so bad.

Torchwood has so much potential. There is so much that could be done with it that just isn't.

• User profile image
    Colin Angus Mackay

Tensor wrote:
    At least were rid of martha.

I thought Martha was so much better than Rose. At least Martha had some brains. What I am really not looking forward to is Cathrine Tate reprising her role as Donna as the new companion. Oh FFS, someone should be strung up for that one.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.