Coffeehouse Thread

172 posts

Yes or No: are humans naturally moral?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

Yes.

I'd love this to be a poll without replies. Lock it if it's a bad post. [A]

EDIT: My question does not include that the environment can turn humans evil - circumstances - that is not part of this question; so don't add it.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

No chance.  People need to be trained and disciplined to be good.  People only need to be taught how to be clever about being bad, the bad part is congenital.

• User profile image
    blowdart

JohnAskew wrote:
    Yes.

I'd love this to be a poll without replies. Lock it if it's a bad post.

No. Morals are a group structure (and of course vary), an individual's beliefs are not a moral system, not really.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

JohnAskew wrote:
    Yes.

I'd love this to be a poll without replies. Lock it if it's a bad post.

In a perfect world where every one has access to food , water, entertainment, one might argue that a humans greed is dead, hence this human would do the right things because there is no reason not to be moral.

But we hardly live in a perfect world, and hence morality itself is based on perspectives.

So my answer is no.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Yes.

But the morality varies from person to person and culture to culture.

Note that 1% of people are sociopathic, and thus could be said to have no morals.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Note that 1% of people are sociopathic, and thus could be said to have no morals.

reference please?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Yes.

I'd go for that. MG

SecretSoftware, Others: My question does not include that the environment can turn humans evil - circumstances - that is not part of this question; so don't add it.

Cool

• User profile image
    borosen

No.

I think that is a social dependent thing.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

JohnAskew wrote:

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Yes.

I'd go for that. MG

SecretSoftware, Others: My question does not include that the environment can turn humans evil - circumstances - that is not part of this question; so don't add it.

But how can we know? Humans are meant to interact with the environment. The Environment shapes behavior. Its one of the pillars of Animal Behavior Science.

But If we somehow create a human replica, like say Cmdr. Data of Star Trek, then maybe the answer would be Yes.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

SecretSoftware wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Yes.

I'd go for that. MG

But how can we know? Humans are meant to interact with the environment. The Environment shapes behavior. Its one of the pillars of Animal Behavior Science.

But If we somehow create a human replica, like say Cmdr. Data of Star Trek, then maybe the answer would be Yes.

If given equal results from two actions, one 'moral' the other 'immoral', which will humans naturally select when not compelled to choose one or the other by external forces?

It is more rhetorhic than answerable, perhaps. Thanks for replies, anywho.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Actually, I have a theory that in reality 100% of the world's population of humans are insane. So within that theory, being a sociopath is fairly mild.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Maybe I should ask "are people naturally nice"?

I guess the whole topic is a personal perspective and not objectifyable.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Rossj wrote:

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Actually, I have a theory that in reality 100% of the world's population of humans are insane. So within that theory, being a sociopath is fairly mild.

Excellent. My data points were rather clumped in a pile until now.
    Big Smile

• User profile image
    cescotto

no, humans are naturally selfish and learn to be moral later in life (when they find out that being selfish hurts relationships with other people).

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

JohnAskew wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Yes.

I'd go for that. MG

If given equal results from two actions, one 'moral' the other 'immoral', which will humans naturally select when not compelled to choose one or the other by external forces?

It is more rhetorhic than answerable, perhaps. Thanks for replies, anywho.

They will go for the moral one.

I see it with kids always. When they take something that is not theirs they return it.

Kids tell us a lot about ourself as humans. That is why we say Kids are innocent, because they are not shaped by the environment as adults. We can learn more about humanity from our kids or even animal kids. Mammalian kids in general.

• User profile image
    Chadk

JohnAskew wrote:

Whats nice? People do whats in the best interest to them.

With terror, alot of people think what they do is good, and is the very right thing. They live and breath by it. They think we are mad. And at the same time, we think they are mad!

So in general, i would say no. But you have to be nice, and your often taught to be nice. Yet in the thing its the ego that will dedice.

• User profile image
    borosen

JohnAskew wrote:

I would still say no.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice people in the world, probably the vast majority.

I just think under normal circumstances, nice pays better.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

borosen wrote:

JohnAskew wrote:

I would still say no.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice people in the world, probably the vast majority.

I just think under normal circumstances, nice pays better.

Big Smile:D

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.