62 posts

Microsoft has nowhere to run; Developers leaving Windows desktop

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Ray6 wrote:

jamie wrote:

That logo should scare the pants off MS

They waste time doing a logo for a license and MS should be scared?

the logo in question says GPL3 - FREE SOFTWARE  (imagine that on one computer case and another - for much more -without it (one day..)

jamie wrote:

but should an OS cost 500$ cdn?  Force you validate and activate multiple times, add DRM, etc

I have Vista running on a box here, and I have validated exactly once.

im still on XP - and need to validate for media player, ie, photostory, bla bla

i think i remember vista still makes you "validate" multiple times (not activate (once)

If they didn't have DRM then how would you play the DRM-locked disks?

i would load the drm software before playing the content - but most likely wouldnt BUY that content. This is not a decision for Microsoft (lovem or hatem) to make on "our behalf" - it should be ours

I don't think MS should ask its users to scour around for hacking software, - why is this MS's issue again? they already have their IP activated and validated...validated....validated....validated....

jamie wrote:

Why can Apple sell 5 home OS's for 129 - with everything?

Because they also charge over at least $500 for each of the five machines that you run it on.

i paid over 5k for 2 of the machines in my house - and over 1k for both 2 laptops.

And I cannot understand why everyone holds Apple up as a paragon of virtue when they're the ones who prevent you from running OSX on faster, cheaper and more reliable hardware.

this issue is not OSX per say - it is the REAMING of windows users cause vista didnt live up to the hype

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

jamie wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

People say that free software gets the short straw because it isn't getting enough promotion, but someone does a logo and now you say its a waste of time.  [C]

• User profile image
    jamie

PS - disclaimer...

ermm its me remember.. the guy with all the ms books.. the "fan" the "enthusiast"

im not trolling for OSS

but i am waiting for MS to treat it like when they were late to the internet

(ya ya internet platform and tools / ben slivka - "here we come to save the day" etc)

they bust that up (commies!" billg)

and from there its been sp2 / IE locked .. vista mac google black ui ..  zune..ha  live  hahaha

whatever

fans are allowed to get mad

and if they actually want ms to DO something ANYTHING it is here they should post it?

well we are.  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jamie

ps - on a whim i thought YOU would be a good new direction for windows/live.. so i typed youOS.com and got this

https://www.youos.com/

if you arnt buying facebook - at least buy this  (you.com is nothing but a login - get that too) *singularity - nice geeky name - is NOT the name (please!)

the cloud os - the "new" ms... we are waiting  (dump live)

(hmm facebook is all php... guess im going to have to start learning that)  *yes facebook is an OS (for life/communicating)

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

JChung2006 wrote:

corona_coder wrote:
    I predict in 2009 OS/2 will have more marketshare than Windows.

QFE.  corona_coder has clearly lost his mind.

I second that... and predict that by 2015 there will be more birds swimming in ocean than the fish but, later by 2050 fishes will learn to fly as there will be no space left in the oceans for all of them!

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Soviut

jamie wrote:
    ps - on a whim i thought YOU would be a good new direction for windows/live.. so i typed youOS.com and got this

https://www.youos.com/

if you arnt buying facebook - at least buy this  (you.com is nothing but a login - get that too) *singularity - nice geeky name - is NOT the name (please!)

the cloud os - the "new" ms... we are waiting  (dump live)

(hmm facebook is all php... guess im going to have to start learning that)  *yes facebook is an OS (for life/communicating)

Geesh!  Take two seconds to compose your writing rather than just typing out your train of thought.  Its like trying to decypher hyperactive teen girls discussing their latest purchases/rivalries at the mall.  Please write sentences, use punctuation, and string ideas together in paragraphs.  Then maybe I'll have some idea as to what you're SPECIFICALLY talking about.

• User profile image
    Ray6

k2t0f12d wrote:

jamie wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

People say that free software gets the short straw because it isn't getting enough promotion, but someone does a logo and now you say its a waste of time. 

Yes it's a waste of time because it focuses on something that the vast majority do not (and will not) ever give a hoot about.

When was the last time you saw a software company market its product by waving its licence in consumers faces? It's like trying to sell a car on the strength of its engine  serial number.

If you want to promote GPLv3, then time would be better spent actually writing software that can match MS and Apple in terms of usability and utility; then you will find it much easier to force your ideals on people.

• User profile image
    Ray6

jamie wrote:

the logo in question says GPL - FREE SOFTWARE  (imagine that on one computer case and another - for much more -without it (one day..)

No, the logo says 'GPLv3' - which kind of sums up the whole problem with open source thinking today. Rather than building the software for the people, they build it for themselves and then try to force people to become geeks so they can run it. A few days ago, someone here was arguing that things would be so much better once Mom and Pop got the hang of using version control software so that they could maintain their own source repositories.

jamie wrote:

m still on XP - and need to validate for media player, ie, photostory, bla bla

i think i remember vista still makes you "validate" multiple times (not activate (once)

Mmmm ... no and no.

The only validation I am seeing is the usual license key stuff that companies pop up when the demo has expired. Not seeing anything on the XP box either. One validation, and that has been it. I imagine it is carrying out some validation thing in the background, but we're not aware of it here.

jamie wrote:

i would load the drm software before playing the content - but most likely wouldnt BUY that content. This is not a decision for Microsoft (lovem or hatem) to make on "our behalf" - it should be ours

The huge majority do not care about DRM, they just want to stick the disk in the machine and just go. If you tell that they have to go chase down another piece of software, then they just won't bother. Since having DRM installed on the machine does not affect non-DRM disks in any way, then there is nothing to be gained by not having it installed. You are still free to play non-DRM disks.

jamie wrote:

why is this MS's issue again? they already have their IP activated and validated...validated....validated....validated....

... as I said, I have not seen this multiple validation thing on any of the boxes at home or at work.

jamie wrote:

i paid over 5k for 2 of the machines in my house - and over 1k for both 2 laptops.

But that is your choice. With Apple, you don't really get one. You put up with their outdated, limited-option and suspect quality hardware or you don't.

jamie wrote:

this issue is not OSX per say - it is the REAMING of windows users cause vista didnt live up to the hype

I'm sorry but did you see the last WWDC keynote? Leopard certainly isn't the revolution that Jobs had been gassing on about for months. What was that 'hidden feature' by the way? In fact, over the five years that Apple has been charging for relatively minor changes to their operating system, I could actually have bought Vista Ultimate and seen a lot more additions to the OS

• User profile image
    prencher

At least have some decency and refer to "Free Software" or "FSF" / "Free Software Foundation", not Open Source. Don't lump all of us in with those freaks that thinks stallman is not a complete loon.

Stallman himself loathes the Open Source movement, because unlike the FSF, it plays well with commercial entities, it doesn't try to change the world outside it's own stuff.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Ofcourse Microsoft is losing market share in the developer world, they are at 100% marketshare.

It's only downhill from there!

• User profile image
    prencher

Siyavash wrote:
    Linux = 40% MAC + 40% Windows + 20% other spices.

The thing about morons is... when they start saying stuff like "Micro$oft is dying next year" taken from back of their body... you better start buying Microsoft stocks. That is what I learned from the past.

I seen the "Microsoft hating" back in 1995, I actually been one of these morons. ALL so called "Open source coders" ( back then we called them code rippers since they didn't write their own code and stole it from others ) that I known, all the Linux h4x0r guys I known, they were and are all out of jobs. No money, no life, no nothing. and the ones I know STILL go around saying it should all be free!!! haha... So anyhow back then the little brainy started thinking. I started coding on Windows and oh boy, how I fell in love with it.

Today, more than a decade from then, when I look back I see I made the right choice. Even back then they said "Microsoft will die next year."

One wonders, these morons who probably love Star Wars ( I do too ) should somehow learn from it? I mean, they say Microsoft is evil but see who is hating who, who is angry towards who. Eventhough they see us as bad people, I think they are the ones who are Evil and hate. This hate will prevent them from winning.

What they forget is that "Microsoft" is not one evil person, but it is built by people, people who have families and kids, they feel love and sadness, they too work hard like everyone else and let us not forget that it is built by people who love technology not hating it.

Anything which is built upon spite and hate will fail, it is doomed from the start. History is the best teacher.

And speaking of food, I love fried penguins! and sometimes just raw and bloody.

Wow.

You actually managed to come off as more of a retard than  corona_coder. Well done.

• User profile image
    Massif

OK, I'm having difficulty in figuring out whether to decide this thread is troll-spawn and release "thar kitti3z", or whether you're actually having a serious debate.

Regardless, it's ridiculous to pretend that Microsoft are going to disappear, overnight or otherwise. IBM are still here, so why would MS vanish? It's not going to happen, ever (well, ok, so everything disappears eventually, but my point is that if MS vanish, it'll be through a slow degradation of profitability, and a failure to adapt to a changing market and as such take many many many years.)

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Debating about the future is useless, it changes everytime you talk about it.

• User profile image
    Soviut

k2t0f12d wrote:

jamie wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

People say that free software gets the short straw because it isn't getting enough promotion, but someone does a logo and now you say its a waste of time. 

This has got to be one of the worst "professional" logos I've seen in a while.  What's with the giant sabertooth sticking out of the 3.  Go figure, the OSS comunity has no designers.  Just look at the PHP logo, a photoshop beveled oval with the letter's php in it.

This is where all the developers who can't design go "its not about design, its about functionality blah blah".  Well this post was about marketability and this GPL logo fails grandly at that.  While I can't stand the zealot linux and mac communities who defend their "team" for no real reason other than to feel like they belong to something, at least apple can market their stuff.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Why do you need to have a logo and market a license?

It should be a document, and no more.

• User profile image
    prencher

Soviut wrote:

k2t0f12d wrote:

jamie wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

This has got to be one of the worst "professional" logos I've seen in a while.  What's with the giant sabertooth sticking out of the 3.  Go figure, the OSS comunity has no designers.  Just look at the PHP logo, a photoshop beveled oval with the letter's php in it.

This is where all the developers who can't design go "its not about design, its about functionality blah blah".  Well this post was about marketability and this GPL logo fails grandly at that.  While I can't stand the zealot linux and mac communities who defend their "team" for no real reason other than to feel like they belong to something, at least apple can market their stuff.

What was that? Have you actually seen a gnome or KDE desktop lately? Or the ubuntu logo? Or the...? No? Didn't think so.

I guess because the FSF and PHP have crappy logo's it means the OSS don't have designers, right?

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

The Logo wrote:

Actually, the problem with the logo is that it uses a swoosh similar to the Nike logo. There was a time about 10 years ago when it seemed every logo used that very swoosh and it got old very quick.

I actually think the PHP logo is nice as is the Gentoo Linux logo and the Enlightenment logo.

Just wish the stock installs of Linux distros had a little more graphic punch to them.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Dharma Punk wrote:
    Actually, the problem with the logo is that it uses a swoosh similar to the Nike logo.

You're right.  It does look like a sneaker logo.  The "v3"  swoosh after "GPL", I opine, is following the precedent of the Emacs logo art, rather then trying to be anything new.  I personally like the Debian swirl, as far as free software logos go.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.