Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Adobe Reader 8.1

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Adobe Reader 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Just once I'd like to be able to actually close Adobe Reader and have it "close"....and not crash.

Anybody else have Reader die ALL the time when trying to exit it?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

It happens most of the times for me. Usually it brings IE down with it.

• User profile image
    Vasudev

Start using Foxit Reader.

• User profile image
    The J

Reader 8.1 has been fine for me so far. Reader 8.0 used to crash on close whenever I used TexnicCenter to open a PDF, but 8.1 fixed that. Apparently there was a bug in 8.0's DDE system and it seems to have been fixed in 8.1.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Until Foxit gets a web browser plugin and an iFilter its pretty much useless.

• User profile image
    MB

I have these sorts of  issues with most Adobe software.

• User profile image
    javamdk

I don't recall having any problems with Adobe Reader 8 or 8.1 - if it brings down IE could it be an IE plug-in crashing Adobe?

• User profile image
    anand.t

Adobe is doing more harm than good these days. I hate how it wants to update itself everytime I open a pdf and worse most times you need the original CD as well.

• User profile image
    Vasudev

rjdohnert wrote:

By ifilter you meant this?
    Foxit PDF IFilter
    "Foxit PDF IFilter is designed to help users to index a large amount of PDF documents and then quickly find text within these documents. The PDF documents can be files, email attachments or database records.

Foxit PDF IFilter supports following Microsoft products: Windows Indexing Service, MSN Desktop Search, Internet Information Server, SharePoint Portal Server, Windows SharePoint Services (WSS), Site Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server and all other products based on Microsoft Search technology. Hereafter, we use term "search engine" to refer to these products."

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Good, Browser plugin?  Pay for the PDF iFilter when Copernic indexes and displays file contents as is.

Vasudev wrote:

rjdohnert wrote:

By ifilter you meant this?
    Foxit PDF IFilter
    "Foxit PDF IFilter is designed to help users to index a large amount of PDF documents and then quickly find text within these documents. The PDF documents can be files, email attachments or database records.

Foxit PDF IFilter supports following Microsoft products: Windows Indexing Service, MSN Desktop Search, Internet Information Server, SharePoint Portal Server, Windows SharePoint Services (WSS), Site Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server and all other products based on Microsoft Search technology. Hereafter, we use term "search engine" to refer to these products."

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.