Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Kicking Butts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

So I am kicking the habit.

Today is Day 1. Actually it's really only been about 10 hours since my last smoke ( at 1:00 am last night), but I could really, really use one now.

I have a meeting in about 8 minutes, it should be very interesting as I am having a hard time concentrating on anything other than how much I want a juicy cigarette.

Yumm, Marlboro's...

Any have any quit tips?

• User profile image
    littleguru

chew a gum Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

phreaks wrote:

Today is Day 1. Actually it's really only been about 10 hours since my last smoke ( at 1:00 am last night), but I could really, really use one now.

I have a meeting in about 8 minutes, it should be very interesting as I am having a hard time concentrating on anything other than how much I want a juicy cigarette.

Yumm, Marlboro's...

Any have any quit tips?

You are not 'kicking the habit' you have already kicked the habit.

You are not 'stopping smoking' you have already stopped, you are already a non-smoker.

You need to get it straight in your head that you no longer smoke, cigarettes are something that you don't do any more.

Wink

Herbie

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Take a walk, or program a new thing each time you think about smoking.

• User profile image
    phreaks

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Take a walk, or program a new thing each time you think about smoking.

I'm chewing gum like a madman; my intention was to absorb myself in code...

However, it's not as easy as that. I'm looking at the screen and all the charcters are jumping around, not literally, but in my mind.

It's very difficult to focus on anything other than how much I want to smoke!

Maybe I should try to 'ween' myself down a bit first.
    Perhpas by going 3 or 4 hours between cigs for a week and then quitting?

It seems that is the general approach they take for Herois addicts...
    Why not apply it to cigarettes?

This is harder than I thought.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Code something that makes the characters jump around. Perhaps they are then stable in your mind Big Smile

There is one reason I never started to smoke: it's so damn hard to quit.

• User profile image
    fdisk

phreaks wrote:
    Yumm, Marlboro's...
    What? You're not going to smoke your way to a shiny new jacket? Not sure if they still do that promotion any more...I think if you smoke 1,000 cartons you get an portable oxygen tank setup.
    phreaks wrote:
    Any have any quit tips?
    Sunflower seeds?

Edit: Nope...the "miles" campaign is over.

Wikipedia wrote:
    As a tie-in to the new "Marlboro Man" advertising campaign, Philip Morris began including "Marlboro Miles" above the barcode on each pack of Marlboro cigarettes. These Miles could be redeemed via a mail-order catalog for a variety of merchandise emblazoned with the Marlboro brand and logo, running the gamut from cooking implements and camping gear to apparel and lighters. This promotion--similar to the "C-note" redemption system for coupons found on packs of Camel cigarettes--was phased out in 2006. The redemption campaigns were referred to at various times as "Marlboro Country Store" and "Marlboro Gear".

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

It's not a cureall, but it helped me quit once1.  Every time you want a cig, do 5-10 reps of the following:

1) breathe in for a count of 4.  Try to make that be a complete lungfull
    2) hold it for a count of 7. 
    3) breathe out for a count of 8.  The last few ticks should require some effort to sustain Smiley

Something about the pattern and the amount of time you keep the air in your lungs will give you a bit of the same rush you get from smoking while stimulating your lungs.  Don't do it too long or for more than 10 reps or you'll find yourself a bit lightheaded.

Over time, increasing the amount of time between each tick will make up for the fact that your lungs will get better at working.

1I've quit for year or more long stints at least 3 times.  The problem seems to be that once you quit, you absolutely can never, ever again smoke.  And nothing goes better than beer and...well you get the picture.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I quit smoking, completely cold turkey, almost three months ago. In the meanwhile, I bought a house, remodeled said house, took a trip to Europe, had a not insignificant surgery on my knee and kept working with some amount of pressure.

Trust me, there were moments where I could have used a smoke. But everytime I had the urge, I thought "hey Paolo. Your mind is powerful. You decided you don't need that anymore and made a decision about it. Going back on that decision is like losing. You don't want to lose, right? Good Paolo" Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

For added motivation, try adding up all the money you've ever spent on smoking and see what else you could have bought.

Herbie

• User profile image
    littleguru

phreaks: How much is a packet of Marlboro over there and how often did you smoke one?

• User profile image
    phreaks

littleguru wrote:
    phreaks: How much is a packet of Marlboro over there and how often did you smoke one?

Between the wife and I we spend $20 a day on smokes. They are about $6.25 per pack.

We are both quitting.

I don't really smoke Marlboro's, I smoke Parliments.

• User profile image
    littleguru

phreaks wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Between the wife and I we spend $20 a day on smokes. They are about $6.25 per pack.

We are both quitting.

Wow, that's really A LOT!

• User profile image
    phreaks

littleguru wrote:

phreaks wrote:

littleguru wrote:

We are both quitting.

Wow, that's really A LOT!

Ya, about $7,300.00 per year. About $1,300 more than my car payment. It's ridiculous and bad for you, that's why I'm quitting.

• User profile image
    TK421

"You need to get it straight in your head that you no longer smoke, cigarettes are something that you don't do any more."

That is the absolute best advice. I tried to quit many times, but until I made up my mind I was never sucessful. It has been six years since I made up my mind to quit... And I haven't had one since...

"Someone is either a smoker or a nonsmoker. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that. If you're a nonsmoker, you'll know. " - Robin Williams  Dead Again
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101669/quotes

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

phreaks wrote:

Yumm, Marlboro's...

Any have any quit tips?

Lock yourself in a remote cabin in the most rural area you can find.  Peppermint, lots and lots of peppermint.  Regardless of what you do it will be painful.  Expect three weeks before you can feel close to normal again.  You know you are in the final stretch when you realize it hasn't occurred to you to smoke in several consecutive days.

I smoked for eleven or twelve years.  I have been smoke free for a year.

• User profile image
    Minh

phreaks wrote:

Ya, about $7,300.00 per year. About $1,300 more than my car payment. It's ridiculous and bad for you, that's why I'm quitting.
    (sigh) Also google nicotine fetal development. Mad

• User profile image
    phreaks

Minh wrote:

phreaks wrote:

(sigh) Also google nicotine fetal development.

I know, I know! That's really why we are quitting so abruptly!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.