Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

2008: The Year of the Linux Desktop

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JChung2006

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/2008_year_of_the_linux_desktop

Wait!  I thought this year was the year of the Linux desktop?

Like every year prior...

Such a joke and what's sad is that they don't even realize it.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

I have not renewed my subscription to Maximum PC because they have had a long string of Linux articles.  I never read that magazine for information on software.  I read it for information on hardware.  

I wish they would get a clue and realized that most of their readers are Windows users so catering to the wrong audience is going to cost them in the end.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Dont worry, it'll still be the 'Year of the Linux Desktop' in 2050. And then again in 2051.
    Tongue Out

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Jason Cox wrote:

Dont worry, it'll still be the 'Year of the Linux Desktop' in 2050. And then again in 2051.

I thought the world was going to end in 2012 Sad

• User profile image
    anand.t

Yes. In 2008 microsoft will make a forced takeover of Novell. If you read the recent migrations to linux everything is to SUSE. And with mono being developed by Novell and miguel who has no ill feelings about microsoft it is very well possible. Add it to the fact that microsoft does not even have to write even one line of code. They can take everything available online in GPLv3. Just add a couple of packages on their own like office 2008 and sell it.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

Here is my legit question of the whole linux thing. Those guys don't realize they're not competing with MS, they competing with everyone that uses windows and is used to it - regardless of its faults ... so ...

why not come up with a completely new paradigm for using a computer, something better than the typical win/mac desktop and then go out and tell the world its the best new thing and nothing like it exists today because one thing is for sure, it is almost impossible to compete with something that had a 15 year head start ....

Cool

• User profile image
    PaoloM

anand.t wrote:
    Yes. In 2008 microsoft will make a forced takeover of Novell. If you read the recent migrations to linux everything is to SUSE. And with mono being developed by Novell and miguel who has no ill feelings about microsoft it is very well possible. Add it to the fact that microsoft does not even have to write even one line of code. They can take everything available online in GPLv3. Just add a couple of packages on their own like office 2008 and sell it.

What?!

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

Heh, I remember a few years ago when MaximumPC slagged on Linux, calling it an OS for commies and what not.

How times change.

• User profile image
    MB

For those of us old enough to have actually "been there" during the original Unix days, none of this is new.

Almost from its inception, Unix has been the O/S adopted by Universities (basically because they got it for nothing) and has tended to be the O/S students associate themselves with, because it's free. It became a rallying point for young-angry men who needed a cause to champion.

Unix is an excellent O/S and much good software comes out of the Unix community. But the Unix community is the biggest impediment to Unix being more widely accepted. They just have this unhappy knack for shooting themselves in the foot.

Back when I were a lad, if you were in business, Unix was an option, but most would choose VMS or VM (with the later addition of MS-DOS/Windows) because the Unix fraternity just didn’t get the business thought process... that computing is simply a means to an end.

Nothing much as changed.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Dharma Punk wrote:
    Heh, I remember a few years ago when MaximumPC slagged on Linux, calling it an OS for commies and what not.

How times change.

Whatever brings eyeballs to the site .... Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray6

typemismatch wrote:
    Here is my legit question of the whole linux thing. Those guys don't realize they're not competing with MS, they competing with everyone that uses windows and is used to it - regardless of its faults ... so ...

why not come up with a completely new paradigm for using a computer, something better than the typical win/mac desktop and then go out and tell the world its the best new thing and nothing like it exists today because one thing is for sure, it is almost impossible to compete with something that had a 15 year head start ....

Seems obvious, doesn't it? The problem is that the community isn't focussed on making Linux a success; they're interested in defeating Microsoft.

They probably think that you can't have one without the other, but I think that Steve Jobs has proved that this is not the case.

Apple has pretty much outmanouevred Microsoft in every other market  besides the desktop (can't wait for MS's Zune like response to the iPhone), and have made a  boatload of money doing it, and also made it possible for people to contemplate switching to the Mac in the future.

The Linux community continues with this full on frontal assault, and it doesn't really appear to be getting them anywhere.

I had an idea a while back though. Since just about every home NAS manufacturer uses Linux, then why not get them to put a few apps like OpenOffice on each unit before they ship it. When the NAS is installed, it offers them the opportunity to install it.

Now of course, Windows Home Server is just around the corner and is looking pretty damn sharp I must say ... so that opportunity may soon be lost to them.

Apple is also geared towards creative thinking, while the free software community is really geared towards taking existing ideas and rehashing them; hardly the place where we are going to find a new OS paradigm.

• User profile image
    cornelius

Those "Hi I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" television ads piss me off. If MS came out with one of those they need to say about how macs are limited to Apple hardware.

yea apple really crossed the line with that one, how are they meant to be taken seriously now without laughing?

Microsoft (or anyone else) wouldn't come out with ads like that cause:

1. damn thats childish
    2. we all know who has a longer c**k no need to make ads to say otherwise apple
    3. why would any company sink to apple's level by making a similar advert?

----------------------

as for Linux, yea i use it on dozen servers, it does the job, but on the desktop, will be waiting for a long long time, Linux religious brainwashed extremist monkeys (damn i hate yee monkeys, yee only do more harm than good!) forget that tho Linux is improving, apple and windows are not exactly standing still

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Ray6 wrote:

Seems obvious, doesn't it? The problem is that the community isn't focussed on making Linux a success; they're interested in defeating Microsoft.

Exactly. As I've always said:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the Linux community put as much time and effort into coding quality software instead of whining about Microsoft, they might actually be a force to be reckoned with. But since it's easier just to whine about Microsoft then to get any real work done...

• User profile image
    Erisan

Ray6 wrote:

I agree and disagree.
    There's lot of Linux users who wants to "destroy MS/Windows" but there's a lot of people who doesn't. And there's a lot of "MS/Windows" users/zealots who wants to "destroy Linux/Mac" and bash those all the time (for example here in C9).

I think treating "Linux community" as a one big community is very misleading and wrong. If you read for example LKML you notice that their motivation isn't to defeat other OSs, but making next Linux kernel version better than earlier versions. I think same goes to Fedora and many other Linux communities as well. They are talking how to make next release better than older ones and that's it.

Edit: and please read many other's Open Source projects mailing lists also. For example in Cairo developers are talking about how to make Cairo work better on Windows. They want to support as many platforms as possible, like _many_ other projects too... isn't that great?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Ray6 wrote:

Ray,

well I doubt the Linux community and OSS community in general would have a idea about good design if they weren't trying to defeat Microsoft, because theyve mostly been cloning Windows interfaces and sometimes adding a few things

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.