Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

hello from a new employee

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    complete

    Hello forum.

    I just started at Microsoft.  Glad to be here.

  • User profile image
    DarthVista

    Greetings.

  • User profile image
    m1keh

    Congratulations, seems like a nice place to work at.  Hope I can say the same thing at some point in time Big Smile

    So, what do you do at microsoft?

  • User profile image
    Zeo

    Hello new employee. I work at Microsoft too and have been here a year. Ping me, if you've got any questions.

    Channel 9er's rock, so come back and join in the discussions. Big Smile

  • User profile image
    anand.t

    complete wrote:
    Hello forum.

    I just started at Microsoft.  Glad to be here.


    Welcome. So care to tell us more about what you do at microsoft?? Which group?? what position?

  • User profile image
    jigarmehtam​scit

    Welcome.. Best of luck for surviving around the best and smartest minds..

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

        hola

  • User profile image
    AIM48

    Zeo wrote:
    Hello new employee. I work at Microsoft too and have been here a year. Ping me, if you've got any questions.

    Channel 9er's rock, so come back and join in the discussions.


    Why don't you guys have the microsoft thingey next to your names

  • User profile image
    jamie

    hmm why do i recognize that avatar... where is the ms button..

    sorry - but ...need....more...data...

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    AIM48 wrote:
    Why don't you guys have the microsoft thingey next to your names


    I remember someone posting somwhere that that appears if you sign up with an @microsoft.com email address ...

    He may have signed up with another email address.

  • User profile image
    complete

    jigarmehtamscit wrote:
    Welcome.. Best of luck for surviving around the best and smartest minds..


    Sweet.  Sounds like a dream job to me.  I prefer it to surviving around the worst and poorest minds.

  • User profile image
    anand.t

    complete wrote:
    
    I don't know how much I should say because isn't it true that this forum is accessable from the outside?


    As far as I know the forum is like an X-ray machine, making microsofties transparent Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    complete

    m1keh wrote:
    

    Congratulations, seems like a nice place to work at.  Hope I can say the same thing at some point in time

    So, what do you do at microsoft?



    I am working in [Some Building on Campus] on [Some Project].  I don't know how much I should say because isn't it true that this forum is accessable from the outside?

    Like lots of people, I am here via Volt.

    I will pm people now.

    LarryOsterman Edit: Removed some NDA material.  It's possible that [Some Project] is public, but it's not clear.

  • User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

    complete wrote:
    
    m1keh wrote:
    

    Congratulations, seems like a nice place to work at.  Hope I can say the same thing at some point in time

    So, what do you do at microsoft?



    I am working in [Some Building] on [Some Project].  I don't know how much I should say because isn't it true that this forum is accessable from the outside?

    Like lots of people, I am here via Volt.

    I will pm people now.


    complete: a word of warning: this is an external site, NOT internal, so everything on it is non-NDA.  In addition, you should look up the community site to see Microsoft's rules for community participation.  They're pretty straightforward, but you absolutely want to review them before you start talking in public.

  • User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

    LarryOsterman wrote:
    
    complete wrote:
    
    m1keh wrote:
    

    Congratulations, seems like a nice place to work at.  Hope I can say the same thing at some point in time

    So, what do you do at microsoft?



    I am working in [Some Building] on [Some Project].  I don't know how much I should say because isn't it true that this forum is accessable from the outside?

    Like lots of people, I am here via Volt.

    I will pm people now.


    complete: a word of warning: this is an external site, NOT internal, so everything on it is non-NDA.  In addition, you should look up the community site to see Microsoft's rules for community participation.  They're pretty straightforward, but you absolutely want to review them before you start talking in public.



    Btw: Just to be clear: I edited the posts because I believe that you accidentally included stuff that's confidential (again, check the community site).

    It's AWESOME that you're participating, and I absolutely don't want to discourage you from doing so.  But you do need to think about what you say in public.

    There have been contractors fired for talking about specific buildings before, and I once got called onto the carpet for writing a comment in a public blog about where a particular piece of sculpture was (the HR person involved didn't quite get the whole "transparency" thing). 

    The bottom line is: "Post Smart".  Don't ever post anything that you think might be a company secret, and don't EVER write something that you wouldn't be proud to see on the front page of the New York Times tomorrow.

  • User profile image
    anand.t

    LarryOsterman wrote:
    
    LarryOsterman wrote:
    
    complete wrote:
    
    m1keh wrote:
    

    Congratulations, seems like a nice place to work at.  Hope I can say the same thing at some point in time

    So, what do you do at microsoft?



    I am working in [Some Building] on [Some Project].  I don't know how much I should say because isn't it true that this forum is accessable from the outside?

    Like lots of people, I am here via Volt.

    I will pm people now.


    complete: a word of warning: this is an external site, NOT internal, so everything on it is non-NDA.  In addition, you should look up the community site to see Microsoft's rules for community participation.  They're pretty straightforward, but you absolutely want to review them before you start talking in public.



    Btw: Just to be clear: I edited the posts because I believe that you accidentally included stuff that's confidential (again, check the community site).

    It's AWESOME that you're participating, and I absolutely don't want to discourage you from doing so.  But you do need to think about what you say in public.

    There have been contractors fired for talking about specific buildings before, and I once got called onto the carpet for writing a comment in a public blog about where a particular piece of sculpture was (the HR person involved didn't quite get the whole "transparency" thing). 

    The bottom line is: "Post Smart".  Don't ever post anything that you think might be a company secret, and don't EVER write something that you wouldn't be proud to see on the front page of the New York Times tomorrow.


    Looks like you are trying to frighten him. The OP was himself very careful not to state anything in depth. I dont think telling where one works is something that is very confidential unless you work for CIA (heck even that can be pardoned by bush Tongue Out). Nytimes would be least intersted in it. I think your HR is an exception. I have seen a lot of microsofties talking everything about their office.

  • User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

    anand.t wrote:
    
    LarryOsterman wrote:


    Btw: Just to be clear: I edited the posts because I believe that you accidentally included stuff that's confidential (again, check the community site).

    It's AWESOME that you're participating, and I absolutely don't want to discourage you from doing so.  But you do need to think about what you say in public.

    There have been contractors fired for talking about specific buildings before, and I once got called onto the carpet for writing a comment in a public blog about where a particular piece of sculpture was (the HR person involved didn't quite get the whole "transparency" thing). 

    The bottom line is: "Post Smart".  Don't ever post anything that you think might be a company secret, and don't EVER write something that you wouldn't be proud to see on the front page of the New York Times tomorrow.


    Looks like you are trying to frighten him. The OP was himself very careful not to state anything in depth. I dont think telling where one works is something that is very confidential unless you work for CIA (heck even that can be pardoned by bush ). Nytimes would be least intersted in it. I think your HR is an exception. I have seen a lot of microsofties talking everything about their office.


    Sure, but there HAVE been people fired for mentioning the building in which they work (especially contingent staff).  It sucks, but if you read the contract that you signed, there's a lot that can be considered NDA.  Maybe the building thing was over the top, but my censoring his project was absolutely not (unless his project has been publicly disclosed).

    You have absolutely no idea the number of times I've written multi-hundred word answers to posts and thrown them away upon reconsideration.  Heck, I just deleted a huge chunk from a post I just made a couple of seconds ago because it might be an issue.

    That's the essence of "Post Smart". 

  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

    Congrats on getting the job at Microsoft and welcome to C9!

    PS: Dont feed the trolls.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.