Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Adobe is clueless sometimes.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

So I went off to update flash because of the new security exploit.

And as I was in firefox it downloaded a wrapped MSI.

Which doesn't update the ActiveX plugin for IE.

Nice. Very nice guys.

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:

Nice. Very nice guys.

If you want 'clueless', take a look at their prices.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Ray6 wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Nice. Very nice guys.

Are you crazy?!  I, for one, don't want my eyes burned out of their sockets.

• User profile image
    Randolpho

Ray6 wrote:

Not just their prices.

Whenever I try to decide what the worst piece of crapware on the planet is, I am hard-pressed to decide between Acrobat Reader and Quicktime for Windows.

• User profile image
    codan

My general rule of thumb is that if a given product includes the choice to install a third party browser toolbar, said product is a piece of crap.

• User profile image
    esoteric

I'll agree that Adobe Reader can be a somewhat cluttered. But it's extremely succesful.

Aside from that, I've never seen any application that can compete with their flagship products Photoshop and Illustrator, amongst others.

In my oppinion they do create superb software. Of course I don't like high prices (not with Adobe, not with Microsoft, not with anyone), but I'm lovin their software. It's just quality. Period.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

One thing I can credit Adobe with, though, is their academic pricing...  actually (almost) brings their prices down to sane levels.

As for Adobe Reader, it's been slow and bloated for the last several versions (it used to be a little better, back in the Version 3 range or so).  I need to track down Foxit again...

• User profile image
    codan

The only issue I have with FoxIt is that for websites that look for a specific version of Adobe Reader the site has issues because FoxIt reports its true version and not the version of Reader it's compatible with.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I lost a lot of faith in Adobe when they put out "zero" patches for PhotoShop/Illustrator CS1. Had to wait over a year for CS2, which I guess is an expensive patch....in which they have only put out one small patch for CS2 as well....thus making CS3 a paid patch for CS2.

Perplexed:s:s:s:s:s

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Harlequin wrote:
    I lost a lot of faith in Adobe when they put out "zero" patches for PhotoShop/Illustrator CS1. Had to wait over a year for CS2, which I guess is an expensive patch....in which they have only put out one small patch for CS2 as well....thus making CS3 a paid patch for CS2.

If Lightroom's any indication, they might be turning around on that point...  the Lightroom 1.1 update is a huge one in terms of features added and bugs fixed.  Can't say anything about CS3, though (as I don't use it).

• User profile image
    glebd

blowdart wrote:

Why exactly do you expect a Firefox-specific installer to update your MSIE components as well? This is not a Windows system-level update, right? Seems to me it's not Adobe who is being clueless.

• User profile image
    jellowjacket

Randolpho wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Not just their prices.

Whenever I try to decide what the worst piece of crapware on the planet is, I am hard-pressed to decide between Acrobat Reader and Quicktime for Windows.

Amen brother...say no more Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.