Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

C9v4?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Harlequin

Lets go guys, this is getting ridiculous. Put some job postings here in C9 if you need more developers. My company built a complex partner website for Research in Motion in 6 months, why you guys can't do another version of Channel 9 within a timeline of a year is mindboggling. Opensource it so we can help or something...

• W3bbo

Not that I'm defending them, but remember they work on a number of other sites that are more pressing. Like Channel8.

And there isn't anything really compelling in C9v4 that requires urgent implementation. In the grand scale of things the posting errors are a miniscule pittance (and don't really affect the videos, which is the site's purpose, remember).

• Lloyd_Humph

C8 looks like somethings happening.

HumanCompiler said something that something would be happening to C8 2 days ago... I went to visit it - the sites private. Me confused Sad

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • Lloyd_Humph

dupe

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • Royal​Schrubber

First the difference between 6 months and 1 year is only of factor 2x, second there is slight difference between coding few dynamic pages and whole forum and wiki software from scratch..

• Harlequin

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    First the difference between 6 months and 1 year is only of factor 2x, second there is slight difference between coding few dynamic pages and whole forum and wiki software from scratch..

That's why you put a site like this out in pieces. Bring the new IU and forum out, deploy. Build the wiki, deploy. Build another little tool, deploy. Doing everything at once doesn't work on a site like this.

As for Channel 8...we already have a Channel 10, if we have to wait for Channel 7, 15 and 4 to come out before our precious Channel 9 gets worked on, then that's a big flop to me.

• Angus

I agree with W3bbo really.

Is this update not mainly to ensure that Channel 9, and on10 are both running off the same code-base? If so, it is probably important for them to do it, but it is more important to ensure that everything is working, and other websites are being tended to. I personally don't mind; I have very few problems with the current Channel 9.

Angus Higgins

• littleguru

C9 + C8: Give it some time Smiley

• Bas

Apart from some anti-troll features, what's the big deal with v4 anyway?

• littleguru

Bas wrote:

Don't know... We'll see. I can live with C9v3 very well... If some of the posts errors get fixed. This new spam button seemed also to reduce the trolling - perhaps it's just imagination, but it seems to me.

• die-Sel

from what I have been reading on10 + C9 + C8 will use the same "backend" so if C8 is coming along so well am sure it wont be long until C9v4 is with us finished

• Bas

littleguru wrote:

Bas wrote:

Don't know... We'll see. I can live with C9v3 very well... If some of the posts errors get fixed. This new spam button seemed also to reduce the trolling - perhaps it's just imagination, but it seems to me.

Exactly. In fact, if the post errors got fixed, I wouldn't even mind if we stayed on v3 for another year. Spamming has dropped and even the trolling died down a bit from a while ago. All we need is no more post errors and we're fine right here.

• Sampy

Things move ever forward.

I hope that we update the beta soon. Nothing super big but nice stuff.

Channel 8 will probably launch soon.

We should probably do a video or something.

Smiley

• AndyC

Sampy wrote:

You can never go wrong by doing a video. As Paris Hilton once said....

• Grace Francisco

Harlequin wrote:
    Put some job postings here in C9 if you need more developers.

We do actually have an opening that Duncan is trying to fill...

Channel 8 should be out soon and we'll be refocusing our efforts back to Channel 9 v4 so you should see updates to the beta site after our next sprint.

To Sampy's point we should definitely do a video update soon... Stay tuned and thanks for continuing to be active members here.

• Rossj

Grace Francisco wrote:

Channel 8 should be out soon and we'll be refocusing our efforts back to Channel 9 v4

{non-stroppy tone}

This is the second time that C9 has been put on hold for another project, last time it was updates to On10 and yet is probably the most frequented - might I ask as an interested bystander why it always seems to be the lowest priority?

{/non-stroppy tone}

• Cybermagell​an

Sampy wrote:

Yes, please take more time not getting things done...

C9 is becoming obnoxious with no info, no inside participation, and the same three or 5 people participating

Bout ready to move on to greener pastures.

• AndyC

Rossj wrote:
     yet is probably the most frequented -

Arguably if it's the one that is commanding an audience, it needs the work less.

</devils advocate>

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.