Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Got OS X

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

A friend/classmate from my class burned me a copy OS X for me.

Now I get to really see what all the fuss is about with these Apple PCs aka Macs. Smiley

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I used a real Macintosh (G5 workstation) in the photoshop class once but it was a very limited experience. Couldn't do any advanced things like open the console or play with settings.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    A friend/classmate from my class burned me a copy OS X for me.

Now I get to really see what all the fuss is about with these Apple PCs aka Macs.

And there follows a long post complaining about drivers, or performance, or whatever because you are trying to run OSX on a general PC. It might work, it might not.

Also I am quite impressed that you are happy to publically announce that you are pirating software, would you come here and do the same about Microsoft products?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Rossj wrote:
    And there follows a long post complaining about drivers, or performance, or whatever because you are trying to run OSX on a general PC. It might work, it might not.

Also I am quite impressed that you are happy to publically announce that you are pirating software, would you come here and do the same about Microsoft products?

My PC is old but new enough to run it at a modest G5-equivelent performance.

It would be pirating even if I bought the software, since it is against the EULA to use on non-Apple PCs. Besides, I'm only going to test it for a little bit, not very long before I remove it.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Double check that setup detects hard drive partitions correctly - I didn't install it myself because it didn't show my ntfs partitions and I was I afraid it would overwrite them.
    Anyway shortly after that my experiment ended in vmware - os x is not for me Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

Right.. This is like getting a copy of Vista and trying it out on unsupported hardware. If you want to try out OSX, get a Mac.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

My PC is old but new enough to run it at a modest G5-equivelent performance.

It would be pirating even if I bought the software, since it is against the EULA to use on non-Apple PCs. Besides, I'm only going to test it for a little bit, not very long before I remove it.

'I was only borrowing the car, officer.  I was going to bring it back when I was done.'

Aahh, if only joyriders could get by on the same sort of logic.

• User profile image
    mig

I don't condone piracy but I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. Vista gives the user a 30 day grace period to use the software before purchasing a license.

And please don't come with the "if ...." analogies, now when you can drive an operating system to work every day, or even take it out for a joyride (in the sense that you were portraying it) then you can start using those analogies.

And why would anyone buy a mac to try out an OS they don't even know much about. That's ridiculous.

Edit: Before everyone jumps on me, I am not saying he should be running OS X indefinetly, if he does that then sure he is pirating, but if he is looking at the OS for 10-15 days, then I see nothing wrong with it. If he likes it it would be up to him to purchase a mac or continue to do what he is doing. What bothers me is the use of analogies that don't apply to the case. Also, nagging about piracy will not stop anyone that wants to pirate from doing so.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html

His friend, is violating the Mac OS X License Agreement, specifically the restrictions Angel to use one copy of the Apple Software, (b) to use it on a single Apple-labeled computer, (c) not to lend or redistribute the Apple software.

Since his friend failed to comply with the License Agreement, his rights under the License terminate automatically so essentially he is running an unlicensed copy of Mac OS X now too.

Nagging about piracy may be questionable, but condoning piracy is unacceptable.

• User profile image
    esoteric

Arrrrr matey! Cool

• User profile image
    AndyC

mig wrote:

And why would anyone buy a mac to try out an OS they don't even know much about. That's ridiculous.

You don't need to buy one, just go into an Apple store and the nice salesperson will be more then happy to demonstrate it to you.

• User profile image
    Bas

mig wrote:
    I don't condone piracy but I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. Vista gives the user a 30 day grace period to use the software before purchasing a license.

That's great for Windows users. If Apple doesn't give people that option for OSX, then that's too bad. If you don't agree with the rules, don't use the software. Just because a license doesn't provide a rule that would make sense to you, doesn't mean you can just pretend it exists anyway.

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

AndyC wrote:

mig wrote:

You don't need to buy one, just go into an Apple store and the nice salesperson will be more then happy to demonstrate it to you.

Provided there's the right setup available. I've gone to computer stores and tooled around with Macs and I can think of only one that had Xcode installed. Give me one with Parallels/Visual Studio or Textmate.

Then the salesperson can bother off while I go for a test drive.

• User profile image
    mig

Bas wrote:

mig wrote:

That's great for Windows users. If Apple doesn't give people that option for OSX, then that's too bad. If you don't agree with the rules, don't use the software. Just because a license doesn't provide a rule that would make sense to you, doesn't mean you can just pretend it exists anyway.

Yeah, I won't disagree with you about that, you have a very valid point. But rules are meant to be broken granted the rule being broken doesn't hurt anyone, and I don't mean hurting the developers that is a whole different story, zero tolerance leads to more unrulyness, I am not against using something for a trial period to determine my purchasing intent. It's part morality and part common sense in my opinion. Naturally others will disagree because they are entitled to their own opinions.

• User profile image
    mig

Bas wrote:

mig wrote:

OK, so it's "too bad", yet "too bad" isn't stopping the person that wants to run OS X from running it. I am not saying it is right, however it will be done and if it gets Apple another sale all is good, otherwise send a lawyer after them, which isn't even worth it unless they are selling it forward. I am not pretending rules are not there, I am just stating an opinion. This is not a simple subject to tackle, but everything has it's exceptions, depending on the severity and scale that determine the circumstances.

Going to an Apple store for 30 minutes is not the same as running a system for 10 days and then making an informed decision. I see this as a flaw in Apple's business model, but that is nothing new from Apple so it doesn't phase me that users have to resort to this to use their software. I personally see Apple as a group of lazy developers that lock their software to specific hardware becuase they don't have the resources (or skill) to support the plethora of PC hardware that Windows supports and then they criticize Windows for whatever little nack they find, mind you their software only runs on a limited number of machines.  Pathetic.

But again, I rambled about something completely off topic.  My opinion remains that I would use the software for a trial period and purchase if I wanted to keep it, remove and go about my business if I didn't. That is just me though.

• User profile image
    mig

JChung2006 wrote:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html

His friend, is violating the Mac OS X License Agreement, specifically the restrictions Angel to use one copy of the Apple Software, (b) to use it on a single Apple-labeled computer, (c) not to lend or redistribute the Apple software.

Since his friend failed to comply with the License Agreement, his rights under the License terminate automatically so essentially he is running an unlicensed copy of Mac OS X now too.

Nagging about piracy may be questionable, but condoning piracy is unacceptable.

There are instances where a EULA is not viable under certain circumstances. I will concede that the software is not mine and as a licensee I should only do what the EULA states, but in reality no 'real' crime is being committed, it is more of a moral issue than a criminal one.

There have been similar arguments with the Vista EULA and virtualization, I am not trying to compare the two issues but give an example of legitimate uses of software where the EULA doesn't make things easy. Personally, if I purchased a license I would like to use the software for legitimate purposes on the same machine, or maybe another machine. But again this is thin ice we are treading on because this argument goes both ways and I acknowledge that.

In the end there are just some rules that while important on a large scale, aren't as important under certain circumstances and I think testing for a trial period is one of those. Again this is only my opinion.

• User profile image
    Ray6

mig wrote:

In the end there are just some rules that while important on a large scale, aren't as important under certain circumstances and I think testing for a trial period is one of those. Again this is only my opinion.

Glad to hear it. But I must try that line of argument next time I'm stopped for speeding.

No-one is stopping you from picking which rules to follow, when it's convenient for you; but please, enough of the excuses.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Heh... you making a big deal about me trying OS X on my PC yet Insanely Mac -- a dedicated site and well known on the internet has over 103,000 members. You better believe Apple knows about this by now.

Anyway... I installed it but it isnt booting. Its not being seen by the MBR. I'm gonna play with it somemore but chances are I wont even get to try it; therefore you folks should just chill.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.