Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Got OS X

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I'm the wrong person to comment on this thread as I've done it before...

Actually using the OSX86 version is what prompted me to buy a Mac. I seem to remember someone saying "If you're going to pirate software I'd rather it be ours"...

Oh wait, that was someone from Microsoft wasn't it?

• User profile image
    mig

Ray6 wrote:

mig wrote:

In the end there are just some rules that while important on a large scale, aren't as important under certain circumstances and I think testing for a trial period is one of those. Again this is only my opinion.

Glad to hear it. But I must try that line of argument next time I'm stopped for speeding.

No-one is stopping you from picking which rules to follow, when it's convenient for you; but please, enough of the excuses.

And yet again with the ridiculous analogies, the reason for speeding laws is that you can kill someone if you lose control of your car for going too fast. When was the last time violating a EULA put human life at risk?

Pleast stop with these stupid analogies.

• User profile image
    mig

Cybermagellan wrote:

Actually using the OSX86 version is what prompted me to buy a Mac. I seem to remember someone saying "If you're going to pirate software I'd rather it be ours"...

Exactly my point, I have nothing against using something to aid in my decision making, and for a trial period. This is completely different from pirating something to make money off of, or to use indefinetly.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

It didnt suck bad when I ran it, the only reason I dont run it is because my wireless devices werent supported at all.  Overall good performance though.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

mig wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

Exactly my point, I have nothing against using something to aid in my decision making, and for a trial period. This is completely different from pirating something to make money off of, or to use indefinetly.

No it isn't, If it is something you require or need you will buy it, if not you will make do with what you have. I still have a bunch of applications I have not upgraded to the latest and greatest because what I have gets me by.

All you people trying to justify it under some other guise are nothing but flat out pirates, common thieves, usually also the same people around here who are most vocal about things on their soapbox yet when you are doing wrong as apposed to others or the host company here, you chastise and make them out to be evil.... your morals are seriously flawed and hence any argument you make really carries no value or weight.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Custa1200 wrote:

mig wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

No it isn't, If it is something you require or need you will buy it, if not you will make do with what you have. I still have a bunch of applications I have not upgraded to the latest and greatest because what I have gets me by.

All you people trying to justify it under some other guise are nothing but flat out pirates, common thieves, usually also the same people around here who are most vocal about things on their soapbox yet when you are doing wrong as apposed to others or the host company here, you chastise and make them out to be evil.... your morals are seriously flawed and hence any argument you make really carries no value or weight.

When you go out shoping for shoes you also try on few pairs. But those shoes are $25-100 - frickin Apple Computer is at least $1000, so don't tell me I don't have some kind of right to try it first.

I know it's against license, but I'm not going to spend all that money and later find out they don't take back computers.
    I think it's _morally_ ok to install os x on pc only to try it for a week to see if it suits you.

• User profile image
    Bas

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    When you go out shoping for shoes you also try on few pairs. But those shoes are $25-100 - frickin Apple Computer is at least $1000, so don't tell me I don't have some kind of right to try it first.

You do have that right: you can try it at the Apple store.

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

I think it's _morally_ ok to install os x on pc only to try it for a week to see if it suits you.

That's fine, but that doesn't mean that you can then -legally- 'take' that right if it isn't there.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Bas wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

You do have that right: you can try it at the Apple store.

Lol, I can try it for 40 minutes in all that rush Perplexed

Bas wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

That's fine, but that doesn't mean that you can then -legally- 'take' that right if it isn't there.

I didn't say I take it legally. I think it's legitimate but not legal.

• User profile image
    AndyC

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Presumably you wouldn't mind if someone went joyriding in your car, just to "try it out." After all, a car is way more expensive than a computer. Or how about letting some squatters live in your house, because those things are crazy expensive to buy without at least trying some out first....

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Presumably you wouldn't mind if someone went joyriding in your car, just to "try it out." After all, a car is way more expensive than a computer. Or how about letting some squatters live in your house, because those things are crazy expensive to buy without at least trying some out first....

That's not a good analogy. In your case, you're taking someone else's car. A better analogy would be making a perfect atom-for-atom copy of my car, then taking that for a joyride.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

AndyC wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

I'm not selling car nor house. If that were the case of course I would let him try the car or spend few days in house if that person wanted so. Bad analogy. Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Lol, I can try it for 40 minutes in all that rush

You can come back another day.

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

I know, I said it. But you're suggesting that just because it's morally okay, you should legally be able to do it.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Give me a break.  If you want to be a pirate and violate license agreements, that's one thing, but don't try to make yourself feel better about it by claiming that it is "morally OK."

• User profile image
    JChung2006

mig wrote:
    There are instances where a EULA is not viable under certain circumstances. I will concede that the software is not mine and as a licensee I should only do what the EULA states, but in reality no 'real' crime is being committed, it is more of a moral issue than a criminal one.

Those instances usually involve outlandishly aggressively EULA's impinging upon or outright violating a licensee's civil rights.  This instance isn't one of those cases.  It is not your right to copy software illegally and use it on your machine just because you want to "try it out."
    mig wrote:

In the end there are just some rules that while important on a large scale, aren't as important under certain circumstances and I think testing for a trial period is one of those. Again this is only my opinion.

So it's OK to drink and drive until you run over that little girl on the sidewalk?  Is it OK to be immoral until it becomes a criminal issue, in other words?  No, it isn't.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

JChung2006 wrote:

mig wrote:

So it's OK to drink and drive until you run over that little girl on the sidewalk with a blood-alcohol ratio over the limit?  Is it OK to be immoral until it becomes a criminal issue, in other words?

Lol, what a ridiculous comparison!  A violation of a EULA equated to drink and drive killings?  Did you even think before you posted that? Did you even think that it was slightly out of balance to make that analogy?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Bas wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Lol, I can try it for 40 minutes in all that rush

You can come back another day.

But probably you can't/aren't allowed to test compatibility with your existing computer equipment (old digital cameras, printer, mouse) and I guess they also don't allow you to install and test tons of software that you might want to use on your mac.

Bas wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

I know, I said it. But you're suggesting that just because it's morally okay, you should legally be able to do it.

You made up that yourself. I am totally against breaking license agreement, if they had catched me they should've punished me. It's wrong to place personal morality in front of law.

It's just that most os producers don't make trial versions where you could try product yourself - so fck them, I'm going to test it myself.

Anyway chill out, it isn't big deal. Smiley

• User profile image
    andokai

What's with all the sanctimonious attitudes guys? I'm sure none of you have never downloaded music or watched a copyrighted show on YouTube etc.

Quick lets call the feds on this guy. Sheesh!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

andokai wrote:
    What's with all the sanctimonious attitudes guys? I'm sure none of you have never downloaded music or watched a copyrighted show on YouTube etc.!

Get your terminology right Wink

Practically everything on Youtube is copyrighted, I've downloaded copyright music, I've downloaded copyrighted software.

Downloading copyrighted foo is a-okay.

It's only when you're downloading copyrighted materials without permission from the copyrightholder that it gets illicit.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.