Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Got OS X

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    andokai

And the award for focusing on the least important part of a post goes to... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    mig

W3bbo wrote:

andokai wrote:
    What's with all the sanctimonious attitudes guys? I'm sure none of you have never downloaded music or watched a copyrighted show on YouTube etc.!

Get your terminology right

Practically everything on Youtube is copyrighted, I've downloaded copyright music, I've downloaded copyrighted software.

Downloading copyrighted foo is a-okay.

It's only when you're downloading copyrighted materials without permission from the copyrightholder that it gets illicit.

So every song you've downloaded you've purchased before right? Same for every clip on YouTube that might have later been taken down... you paid for all that?

Riiiight... there are certain things that I can agree to, but paying $1000 for a machine to try out an OS that I might not even want later on is not one of those things.

And to everyone that had to resort to analogies, you need to think things through before you post, violating a EULA most of the time is as trivial as Jaywalking, unless you are violating the EULA and making profit off it (ie. selling copies of the OS for your own profit) in my opinion and more than likely in the opinion of the OS maker themselves, it might be wrong but companies won't waste their time suing you for it.  And there are instances when you make a legitimate choice as a result of trying stuff out. This doesn't just apply to an OS. But comparing an OS purchase to a vehicle purchase is different, one example of this is that a car doens't let you customize it the same way an OS does, so you use your car for what it's made to do, but you can use your computer in countless other ways, there are less scenarios to test with a car, so a car you can probably test out in 20 minutes, whereas an OS you'd need at least 5-10 days to get a real assessment of whether or not it is what you need.

There is nobody here that hasn't broken a rule, and if you can honestly say that you have never broken a rule I will have to think of you as a hypocrite.  That's crap, everyone breaks rules, and saying that I am choosing a rule to break is not fair means the same for you, you shouldn't cross the street at the middle of the street see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking and yet I can bet a good portion of you have done so where it is not allowed (if it applies to your country, this is only an example I am giving).

Edited: Cleared up language, made it less harsh (I didn't curse but I did make accusations without base).

• User profile image
    brichpmr

If everyone here illegally installed OSX on their PC to 'try it out,' it would still be wrong. You can't put enough lipstick on your attempts to justify this kind of Eula-breaking to dress up the pig (so to speak). Bottom line is simple: either find a Mac user who will let you mess with their Mac, buy a Mac and run OSX or break the Eula...but if the choice is the latter, don't try to justify that behavior...only lame maroons think they can.

• User profile image
    esoteric

W3bbo wrote:

That's not a good analogy. In your case, you're taking someone else's car. A better analogy would be making a perfect atom-for-atom copy of my car, then taking that for a joyride.

And that, my friend, is how you take a bad analogy appart!

• User profile image
    mig

brichpmr wrote:
    If everyone here illegally installed OSX on their PC to 'try it out,' it would still be wrong. You can't put enough lipstick on your attempts to justify this kind of Eula-breaking to dress up the pig (so to speak). Bottom line is simple: either find a Mac user who will let you mess with their Mac, buy a Mac and run OSX or break the Eula...but if the choice is the latter, don't try to justify that behavior...only lame maroons think they can.

If it seems that I am trying to justify that behavior I will retract that, I know it is wrong, and yet I am still willing to do it. When/if it becomes a big enough problem that lawsuits will go out, then I might change my mind. In the meantime, it is my opinion that it is less harmful to me to break a EULA for a few days and possibly buy a product than to buy a product and be stuck if I don't want it.

Life is not fair, life is not just, there is "software piracy" out there. If breaking a EULA makes me a pirate, then so be it. But I am not the only one out there breaking EULA, for all I know, you're breaking a EULA yourself.

But I honestly don't care, I will continue to think this way and I will live with it. It's enough for me to know that if I can use something I will buy it, if I don't then I didn't spend money on something that is useless to me.

For everyone that wants to call the police everytime a EULA is broken is welcome to it, just remember that it can come back to bite you in the ... if you yourself are breaking one of those ever-important EULA laws as well.

Edit: For the record, I am just playing devil's advocate in this particular thread, I do personally agree with my argument, but I am not even interested in OS X until they start supporting hardware that doesn't come from Apple. Apple machines and propaganda just don't interest me.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

JChung2006 wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:
    I think it's _morally_ ok to install os x on pc only to try it for a week to see if it suits you.

Give me a break.  If you want to be a pirate and violate license agreements, that's one thing, but don't try to make yourself feel better about it by claiming that it is "morally OK."

Why do you think he agrees with you about morality

• User profile image
    Hakime

"I used a real Macintosh (G5 workstation) in the photoshop class once but it was a very limited experience. Couldn't do any advanced things like open the console or play with settings." This is what happens when someone does not bother to try to use something correctly. You wanted to do advanced things, nothing prevent you to do that on OS X, this is a Unix operating system, so just go and open the terminal application and you've got a console right in the Unix world that allows you to do whatever settings you want. Not only can use all the glory of Unix console (windows console is a joke in comparison) but moreover you can activate hidden OS X features as you wish. Next time please check before trolling. Also for the person who got OS X to install on a regular pc, be aware that doing so is not supported and don't expect that everything will work correctly or as on a mac. Don't come here later to say us that this or that does not work, if you try to use the full glory of OS X, try it on a mac, this OS is built with hardware integration in mind.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Hakime wrote:
    Not only can use all the glory of Unix console (windows console is a joke in comparison).. 

Rofl, currently windows console OWNS unix consoles. Check out PowerShell, you nooby noob. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Hakime wrote:
    Not only can use all the glory of Unix console (windows console is a joke in comparison).. 

Rofl, currently windows console OWNS unix consoles. Check out PowerShell, you nooby noob.

Yeah because that is going to be on every Windows box I go to use Expressionless

• User profile image
    AndyC

Hakime wrote:
    You wanted to do advanced things, nothing prevent you to do that on OS X, this is a Unix operating system, so just go and open the terminal application and you've got a console right in the Unix world that allows you to do whatever settings you want.

You're aware that Unix, thus by extension Mac OS X, has a security model, right? That you can prevent users changing anything if you so choose?

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Rossj wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Hakime wrote:

Rofl, currently windows console OWNS unix consoles. Check out PowerShell, you nooby noob.

Yeah because that is going to be on every Windows box I go to use

You can install it on XP, 2003 and Vista, there are rumors that it will be in SP1 for Vista and it will be intalled by default in 2008 Smiley

• User profile image
    andokai

Rossj wrote:

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Hakime wrote:

Yeah because that is going to be on every Windows box I go to use

OS X won't be either. Wink

• User profile image
    MeeB

Well here's the real scoop, if you want to try out a Mac then visit an Apple Store (not one of those Apple Authorized dealers). There should be an iMac that is bootable in OS X or Windows. The same Mac has Paralles installed on the Mac side as well, just ask a salesperson which floor computer is set up this way. Also ask if there are any refreshed Macs available to purchase, buy one and you will have 2 weeks to play with anything you want, if you decide to return it there is NO 10% restocking fee like you pay for the return of sealed box (by the way you will save at least 10% off the retail cost on refreshed items and they have the same warranty as sealed box). Even the Genius Bar will help you install Xcode if you make an appointment (no charge for their services at any time). iXCode is included on the System Disks but is never pre-installed. As for your 40 minute comment, you can stay all day in any Apple Store f you want, the sales people will greet you then leave you to explore on your own if you wish to. Try sitting in on
    some of the free Workshops if you want to know why Apple people love our Macs.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

MeeB wrote:

Well here's the real scoop, if you want to try out a Mac then visit an Apple Store (not one of those Apple Authorized dealers). There should be an iMac that is bootable in OS X or Windows. The same Mac has Paralles installed on the Mac side as well, just ask a salesperson which floor computer is set up this way. Also ask if there are any refreshed Macs available to purchase, buy one and you will have 2 weeks to play with anything you want, if you decide to return it there is NO 10% restocking fee like you pay for the return of sealed box (by the way you will save at least 10% off the retail cost on refreshed items and they have the same warranty as sealed box). Even the Genius Bar will help you install Xcode if you make an appointment (no charge for their services at any time). iXCode is included on the System Disks but is never pre-installed. As for your 40 minute comment, you can stay all day in any Apple Store f you want, the sales people will greet you then leave you to explore on your own if you wish to. Try sitting in on
    some of the free Workshops if you want to know why Apple people love our Macs.

Hi there.

There isn't an Apple store where I live and only a couple Apple Authorized retailers. You'll get about 15 minutes on the systems before they ask if they can assist you.

Anyway... I tried OS X and uninstalled it a couple days ago. It was an interesting experience (very polished) but in the end, falls short of any other advantages over GNU/Linux or Windows.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.