Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel 8 Worries

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

I have a Channel 8 worry that i'd like to get quashed.

I feel that it's gonna be another very US centric site.  Sure us brits are claimed to have taken over here at C9 but i do feel that for the student site, the USA gets a hell of a lot of attention than europe and asia and australasia.  But i'll talk about the UK for now.

Ive always felt, through my 4 years of uni education, that Microsoft here in the UK never went far enough with supporting students.  The US side of things seems to have a very good reputation and community around it, and it slightly worries me that Microsoft who are indeed a US company, are pouring money (no matter how much or little) and employee time (you can't deny that one charles)  into creating what will probably be another, good US student institution; however, without far reaching community features for europe.

I would much prefer seeing the money and time being invested in broadening student partnerships and community in the lesser studenty areas of the world.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Dylan C wrote:

Ok, maybe if MS was made by a European then it would have more of an emphasis on Europe.

Corporations base their decisions on profit (somewhere down the line). The leading/founding individual can't deter a decision that would be less beneficial to the company (stockholders would complain tremendously).

Dylan C wrote:
    Please do not complain about products being pointed toward the countries that produced them.

Except, a larger customer base means more $. More support would equal a loyal customer base. Ignoring support means declining the customer base, which means declining potential profit.

And besides, it isn't fair if you live in another country and you are disadvantaged in the software world because you can't get adequate support for technologies that make up a majority of the computing world.

• User profile image
    Charles

We really want to broaden the international scope of all of our properties. We realize we've been very US centric and we are planning for the world going forward.

Channel 8 will be student focused and it will evolve according to the needs of students, no matter where they live. Please be patient and understand that we do we get it, but we're a small team with very full plates and need time to do the right things.

We hear you.
    C

• User profile image
    Grace Francisco

Jaz wrote:
    I have a Channel 8 worry that i'd like to get quashed.

I feel that it's gonna be another very US centric site. 

Hi Jaz,

The early stages of Channel 8 will likely be English language based content but we'll actually be collecting content around the world through our academic field folks and student partners.

We're starting some planning on providing country focused pages across our communities. No details to share yet as we're in the early stages but we're definitely looking at broadening our communities through international offerings. We actually have quite a number of visitors around the world that come to Channel 9 and we do want to better accomodate them too.

• User profile image
    Jenp

:DHi Jaz...
    hiya - this is Jenp from the Academic Relations Team and I want to assure you it is super important to the entire team that we focus on education around the globe.

As with any software project we have to start small and of course we are hit with budget and resource constraints, therefore the first versions of Channel8 will be English based (similar to Channel9) however we are absolutely pushing hard  to ensure Channel8 will be a worldwide student technology experience.

In fact we will be enlisting the help of our Microsoft Student Partners (www.student-partners.com ) from around the world to help us in making sure we keep the international priority and focus on our efforts and our content.

I share your worries and concerns.. Please help us to keep it a worldwide site, any chance we can count on the UK presence at Channel8??  Big Smile

Jenp

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

I'm a UK student and I'll be checking the place out, do we have any words on a rough release/beta yet?

I'm looking forward to whatever you do, I've learnt a lot from C9 and hopefully with C8 being a bit more geared towards me I'll learn even more Big Smile

• User profile image
    littleguru

They are all very busy, believe me!

Other point:

Jenp wrote:
    ... Microsoft Student Partners (www.student-partners.com ) ...

Are you involved with this web site (I mean with www.student-partners.com)? If you are, please get in contact with me... my messenger ID or e-mail is found in my details. I tried to get in contact with the people who did it. I need some clarification on it... Thanks!

• User profile image
    Chadk

Jenp wrote:

I share your worries and concerns.. Please help us to keep it a worldwide site, any chance we can count on the UK presence at Channel8?? 

Jenp

I think this proves another point.

If people DO try and look further away than the US, they dont go further than the UK.

There some people here from, for instance, Denmark, who doesnt feel the love, which is extremely disturbing.

• User profile image
    Jaz

student-partners wrote:

The programme is our way of encouraging students who are interested in building a closer relationship with Microsoft, and those who are simply hooked on technology, to develop their skills further. This year's programme will officially run from June 2007 to May 2007.

ut oh, time paradox.

also

student-partners wrote:

The closing date for applications is Friday 26 May 2007.

despite further down the page.

student-partners wrote:

Applications for the Microsoft Student Partners (MSP) programme 07/08 are now open. If you are passionate about technology, ready to share your knowledge and want to develop skills outside your field of study, we want to hear from you.

this site doesn't look like it's had some attention (i got here through choosing the UK as my country) for a little while.

Anyway, I'd love to get involved with Channel 8, i'm not a student anymore though, however i have recently graduated.  I'd love to get involved with the whole academic system at Microsoft, especially for europe (however i'd accept helping hawaii out too, at a push), and i'm sure other niners still in the european academic world would love to help or get involved somehow.

Is there a way that we could maybe all talk together?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Jaz wrote:

student-partners wrote:

The programme is our way of encouraging students who are interested in building a closer relationship with Microsoft, and those who are simply hooked on technology, to develop their skills further. This year's programme will officially run from June 2007 to May 2007.

The sub sections are done by the Microsoft Education division of the actual country. For example: the Austrian sub page (which doesn't exist, but will come) is done by Microsoft Austria. You should get in contact with Microsoft UK to have the mistakes fixed.

Jaz wrote:

Anyway, I'd love to get involved with Channel 8, i'm not a student anymore though, however i have recently graduated.  I'd love to get involved with the whole academic system at Microsoft, especially for europe (however i'd accept helping hawaii out too, at a push), and i'm sure other niners still in the european academic world would love to help or get involved somehow.

Is there a way that we could maybe all talk together?

People could try to apply into the student partners program to get in contact with Microsoft. All countries offer such a program and everybody who is interested should definitively get involved!

Try to get in contact with Microsoft UK and see if you can be a Microsoft Student Consultant (or how that is called over there). That would be somebody who manages student partners.

• User profile image
    Bas

Dylan C wrote:
    Please do not complain about products being pointed toward the countries that produced them.

How about pointing products to the customers that buy them?

Charles wrote:
    We really want to broaden the international scope of all of our properties. We realize we've been very US centric and we are planning for the world going forward.

We hear you.

Nice!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.