Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Workflow

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SaraJo

Really want this for company supporting app. Looks like a good product and something that could manage future development paths. Has anyone used this? Comments?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I want it too.

I think WF is the biggest benefit for developers of the 3 foundations.

There are lots of hands on labs.

I think WF requires a lot of preparation with regards to architecture.

It has the steepest learning curve of the 3 foundations, too.

It is hard for me to see how to design with WF in mind.... so far...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I once took a 3-day WinFX course. Most time was spent on WPF and WCF. And WF is indeed harder to learn, because WF works on a different level than I was used to. It took us about 15 minutes to build a simple 'Hello World'-application. It will take some practice and experience to get used to.

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

WF is really a nice platform to develop on. We currently use it for custom workflows in SharePoint 2007 and also are integrating it with our custom project management app to manage some complex workflow issues.

It took a while to understand the varied intricacies of the platform but its very well done, highly extensible (if you've got the time to invest in extending it) and quite performant. If you're starting out on learning WF. get Dharma Shukla's book Essential Worflow Foundation. Its a very good book and describes the foundation of WF very well.

Just a word of caution though... dont use it just for the sake of using it. If you have a simple workflow that can be solved with liner code paths using WF is an overkill. It would add more weight to your application. Where WF shines is a living dynamic workflow where rules keep evolving and so does the flow.

Hope that helps.

• User profile image
    mohammadnour

Workflow Foundation is really very avluable addition to the .NET Framework 3.0. Very extensible, productive and easy to use. But actually I agree with the point that it's not alwayes suitable for any software project. Just use it if you really need it. This is for large scale projects with a level of complexity and high rate of changes.

This is a post I have added to my blog to introduce Workflow Foundation. Check it if you're interested: Introducing Windows Workflow Foundation

• User profile image
    mohammadnour

Workflow Foundation is really very valuable addition to the .NET Framework 3.0. Very extensible and really productive. But actually I agree with the point that it's not alwayes the choice for your software projects. Just use it if you really need it. This is for large scale projects with a level of complexity and high rate of changes.

This is a post I have added to my blog to introduce Workflow Foundation. Check it if you're interested: Introducing Windows Workflow Foundation

• User profile image
    blowdart

mohammadnour wrote:
    Workflow Foundation is really very avluable addition to the .NET Framework 3.0. Very extensible, productive and easy to use. But actually I agree with the point that it's not alwayes suitable for any software project. Just use it if you really need it. This is for large scale projects with a level of complexity and high rate of changes.

Yea, I interviewed someone on Friday who was boastful of the fact he'd recommended and implemented WWF in a system at his current job. So I asked about the workflow.

And what do you know, it was a simple status1 => status2 => status3.

So I asked exactly why he chose WWF?

"Because it was new"

"Ok NEXT"

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.