Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

PodTech in trouble?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

I got this from Robert's blog and some sentences in the article make me wonder if PodTech is in trouble...

What do you gals/guys think? Did somebody hear more on this?

• User profile image
    anand.t

I have read robert mention more than once that they are just doing okay due to the seagate funding of his shows. I dont think they are making a lot of money. It was a dead business to start with and will die soon when the bubble bursts.  The geek group is just to less to sustain any form of business. I dont think podtech has enough resources to take it to the mainstream.

• User profile image
    littleguru

anand.t wrote:
    ... the bubble bursts ...

I wonder when that happens. Really. Now that we have reached virtual goods. But it could also only be that I missunderstand all this stuff.

• User profile image
    BigDataDev

Microsoft should consider sponsoring PodTech.

Send some $$$ to PodTech and have them do some exclusive videocasts of the Microsoft live team.

• User profile image
    Rossj

PocketXP wrote:

Microsoft should consider sponsoring PodTech.

Send some $$$ to PodTech and have them do some exclusive videocasts of the Microsoft live team.

Erm. Why? We have C9. If Podtech are in trouble it is probably because they aren't making enough money - I don't know what their business plan is, but if it is solely advertising and sponsorship then I would be a little worried too.

I've only ever watched the DTrace video that Scoble did, and to be honest I think I'd prefer it if it had been done by the C9 team, at least we wouldn't have had *that* laugh.

I am not too worried about a bubble bursting, because although 'Web 2.0' seems to get the most coverage I personally don't think that is where all the fun and interesting and *lasting* technology advances are being made.  75% of the web 2 sites could disappear and I doubt most people would care/notice.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    I am not too worried about a bubble bursting, because although 'Web 2.0' seems to get the most coverage I personally don't think that is where all the fun and interesting and *lasting* technology advances are being made.  75% of the web 2 sites could disappear and I doubt most people would care/notice.

Where do you think that the most lasting technology advances are made? I'm curious. I don't think that Web 2.0 is doing that too... They only use existing technologies.

The bold sentence is so true.

• User profile image
    Rossj

littleguru wrote:

Rossj wrote:

Where do you think that the most lasting technology advances are made? I'm curious. I don't think that Web 2.0 is doing that too... They only use existing technologies.

The bold sentence is so true.

Well I noticed IBM was up this morning, and I don't recall then having much to do with 2.0 Smiley

On a more general note, I think a mixture of the long-overdue convergence, down-scaling, sensorweb, ubiquitous computing, ambient devices and embedded systems in general might be more promising (if not as secure) when they started to participate in the Internet.  I am not saying that they are being made here, but where I would hope they are being made. Yes I include Surface in both UC and AD from the list above, but in general I do think computers should be more hidden and less obvious - even more so than currently, go count CPUs in your house - you have many more than you probably realise.

I guess I have to back up my claim that lasting advances are being made elsewhere - maybe I spoke too soon, or was too definitive.  Maybe i should have said ...

"I personally would like to think that this [web 2] is not where all the fun and interesting and *lasting* technology advances are being made"

It is a cop out I know, but I don't have definitive proof that this is the case.

It is a difficult one because it depends on what you believe the purpose of computers is - are they to make our lives easier? are they to perform tasks that are impossible otherwise? are they just another communication medium? If you can't define their purpose, it is pretty hard to define an end-state where they fulfill that purpose or to decide which route to take to get there. I need to drink less coffee.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    I need to drink less coffee.

Why? Why shouldn't we think about this stuff... You made a few good statements in your last reply. Shouldn't we think about this stuff - i think we really should. We should understand what this Web 2.0 is exactly and if this is going to burst like in 2001 the .COM bubble or if this thing is going to survive. I really think that the small once are going to die in the next years and only the big once are going to survive. But that's my opinion.

• User profile image
    Rossj

littleguru wrote:

Rossj wrote:
    I need to drink less coffee.

Why? Why shouldn't we think about this stuff... You made a few good statements in your last reply. Shouldn't we think about this stuff - i think we really should. We should understand what this Web 2.0 is exactly and if this is going to burst like in 2001 the .COM bubble or if this thing is going to survive. I really think that the small once are going to die in the next years and only the big once are going to survive. But that's my opinion.

I agree. Social networks are great (I guess) but realistically how many can you possibly belong to before it just gets silly? How much twitter clones can a person use?  Maybe we'll just see the winners - those that manage to keep users engaged and using the system - just outlive the others. If there is a bubble and there is a burst I can only really see it as a result of no-business-plan (been here before haven't we) or as a result of not being competitive enough to keep users engaged.

But let's not forget, the Internet is not just the web (in the same way C9 is not just the Coffeehouse) and the Web is not just about Social Networks.  I tend towards the argument that the value is in the Internet rather than in the Web.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    But let's not forget, the Internet is not just the web (in the same way C9 is not just the Coffeehouse) and the Web is not just about Social Networks.  I tend towards the argument that the value is in the Internet rather than in the Web.

For most people the Internet is the Web. Even worser it is IE or FF that shows them the usual 5 pages they surf to... Most people don't even use the social networks. I'm speaking about the older people that are not involved in computer jobs here... It's at least that in Europe, I can't speak about the US.

One other thing that is really wondering me is how, for example, Twitter can survive. They have no ads on their web site and only generate traffic, which must be paid! I know that they have somebody funding them, but why is somebody funding something like twitter? What's the reason behind it? Making it an ad machine in the end? How could Twitter be moved into something that makes money?

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

Scobleizer wrote:
    Just for the record, I’m 100% committed to PodTech and the moves that John Furrier and the executive team is making and won’t reevaluate my career until Spring of 2008.
    Interesting line there. I'm actually amazed there is even much of a business model at all for this type of thing...it seems so short-lived and too much of a fad for some reason.

• User profile image
    jamie

re: old people / web 2.0:  True... before Facebook though

re Scoble podtech:  Apple sucks so bad at blogging he should go work there

also of note:  (scoble wrote)

Facebook: the new data black hole

Oh, my.

I added the Wordpress Facebook Application a few days ago. Now my blog, and your comments, are showing up on my Facebook Profile Page. Along with my Twitters. My Flickr photos. My Google Reader items. My Kyte videos. And a bunch of other things.

Jeremiah Owyang is sitting here with me and he’s the one who said it’s a black hole after seeing how Facebook is becoming the new portal for all information you post around the Web. He wrote a post titled “all your widgets are belong to Facebook.”

PS:  they just need to change the name of the company to PhoneTech Tongue Out

• User profile image
    BigDataDev

>> Erm. Why?

IMO, a 3rd party offers more street cred.

>>  wouldn't have had *that* laugh

I like the laugh.
    It's a good ice breaker.

>>  if it is solely advertising and sponsorship then
    >> I would be a little worried too.

Agreed

If it doesn't work out I hope he comes back to Microsoft.

• User profile image
    eagle

I think he's been assimilated by Facebook already.

• User profile image
    littleguru

eagle wrote:

... and the iCult. Wink

I found it also interesting that he is going to reconsider his career in spring 2008, because then PodTech is probably moving in another direction. On one hand he is 100% committed on the other hand he is already knowing when he is going to probably leave (or at least consider it) Perplexed

• User profile image
    anand.t

littleguru wrote:

eagle wrote:

... and the iCult.

I found it also interesting that he is going to reconsider his career in spring 2008, because then PodTech is probably moving in another direction. On one hand he is 100% committed on the other hand he is already knowing when he is going to probably leave (or at least consider it)

Probably he thinks that he might get something like an ipod to make a come back, just like what apple did.

• User profile image
    bgmacaw

littleguru wrote:
    How could Twitter be moved into something that makes money?

By selling it to Google or somebody else who has a few 100 million to throw around, essentially the YouTube scenario.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

>I don't think they are making lots of money.

We have millions of dollars in revenue. We aren't profitable yet (sort of like the Xbox group which is investing in a new market at a rate faster than it is monetizeable yet) but will be profitable by the end of the year.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.