Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Bad Expression, Bad!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

So I'm doing a set of templates for a charity for a colleague who is a member of their board of trustees. Setting aside why in firefox it gains an extra border at the top my problem is Expression templates.

1) They don't allow nested templates. Which is a royal pain; I have two, a 2 column content body and a 3 column content body, everything else is shared, but if someone wants to update the main menu they have to edit both templates. Considering how when VS2005 came out lots of people complained about the lack of support for nested master pages you'd have thought lessons would have been learned ...

which brings us onto the main problem

2) When you edit a template the pages based on it don't change, unless those pages are open for editing at the time. What the fudge. That's insane.

• User profile image
    Nishant Kothary

Hi Barry - This is great feedback! I'll forward to the xWeb product team. I know for certain that they love this sort of feedback as they're planning out future versions.

Keep it coming.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Random question, but...

How the heck did you know his name was Barry? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Minh

mVPstar wrote:
    Random question, but...

How the heck did you know his name was Barry?

Look at him...

He just look like a Barry. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if his last name was Dorrans. Smiley

• User profile image
    Nishant Kothary

Hehe. I had half a mind to not respond and see what else people came up with Smiley I clicked on the web site link on his profile and found myself on idunno.org (nice site, btw). Saw his name as the author.

Barry - I should have mentioned that I'm the newly hired UxE at headquarters and I'll be supporting Expression Studio. Also, I forwarded this thread to the product team; while it's already been logged in their internal bug tracking tool, it's prompted a larger conversation about making feedback like this actionable.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Nishant Kothary wrote:

Barry - I should have mentioned that I'm the newly hired UxE at headquarters and I'll be supporting Expression Studio. Also, I forwarded this thread to the product team; while it's already been logged in their internal bug tracking tool, it's prompted a larger conversation about making feedback like this actionable.

Oh goody, I shall put together some more things as I explore.

The template only updating open files is a big problem; I'm doing a site for a charity as a favour (and giving them my free copy of Expression from an MS event; and using my MSDN license for myself).

But these folks don't understand computers. At all. So expecting them to open every page before changing the template is going to be a nightmare.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.