Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Summer CTP Madness for Sure!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Brian Harry just announced that a new CTP of the version, following the next version of Visual Studio Team Suite.

Say again!

After Visual Studio 2008 comes Visual Studio codenamed “Rosario”. There will be a very early CTP of “Rosario” for us to download in the next week or so! It will be a VPC only and a feature list will be available in the near future!

Exciting times are ahead… 

• User profile image
    Chadk

I heard about rapid development. But this is madness!

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Yeah I thought that was a little odd when I saw the blog.  Will be interesting, not sure how much will be included tho?  Maybe its just VSTO which have features to demostrate.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Rosario sounds like a VSTS-only update to whatever TS stuff is in VS 2008, not a whole new version of VS.

But I'd love to be proven wrong. One day I might even get 2 full versions of VS in one year's MSDN subscription! And a pony!

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

I think this release will include only new Team System functionality.

Like VS2003 was a minor update to VS2002, VS2008 is a minor update to VS2005. The step from VS2003 to VS2005 was major in terms of core VS changes. My guess is that Rosario will contain major changes to the VS core.

On my list of Rosario features is (i am guessing here):
       - Many new Team System features and improvements
       - A new version of the framework with improvments to WCF, WPF, WWF, more AJAX and ASP.NET support
       - Native Silverlight 1.1 support
       - New version of Tools for Office
       - Maybe native Acropolis support

Questionable features include:
       - New UI with Office Ribbon support
       - Windows File System

/Klaus

• User profile image
    littleguru

Interesting... I wonder what they are going to add exactly to Team System or what they are going to fix.

Klaus Enevoldsen wrote:

New UI with Office Ribbon support

Why would Visual Studio need that... With these few menues. The reason for the ribbon in Office was the huge menu system. I can't find that in VS!

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

littleguru wrote:
    Why would Visual Studio need that... With these few menues. The reason for the ribbon in Office was the huge menu system. I can't find that in VS!

Are you being ironical? :O Think of all the options you have to change properties on controls in the visual editors. It surely has potential for quicker access to all those properties. The Visual Studio UI could use some new innovation! It could be fun to see what the group of people working on Office 2007 could do with VS, however unlikely it will ever become reality.

/Klaus

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

littleguru wrote:
    Interesting... I wonder what they are going to add exactly to Team System or what they are going to fix.

I think VS2008 was more or less about fixing in regards to Team System (performance and top requests from customers), the new exciting features will come with Rosario I am sure.

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Klaus Enevoldsen wrote:
    I think VS2008 was more or less about fixing in regards to Team System (performance and top requests from customers), the new exciting features will come with Rosario I am sure.

I can't believe that I am talking (writing) about VS2008 in past tense, I mean Beta 2 is not even released yet.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I've decided I can't keep up with this, so I'm now going to worry about it.
    We only moved our code up from NET1.1 to NET2 in the last year and we don't expect our customers to go for Vista for a long while yet so there's no point in looking at WPF or WCF.

New versions of VS might bring us some nice improvements in the IDE or improvements in TFS, but that's all we'll be looking for and we can wait until they RTM.

Information overload == stress

Getting off the treadmill.

Hebrie

• User profile image
    Arran

Dr Herbie wrote:
    We only moved our code up from NET1.1 to NET2 in the last year and we don't expect our customers to go for Vista for a long while yet so there's no point in looking at WPF or WCF.

Just wondering why you are linking .NET 3 to Vista?  We started moving a very large project and a new project to .NET 3 over a year ago and have gained so much from WPF and Workflow Foundation.  We deploy our software onto Win2k3 for web and windows services.  Also XP Clients for the WPF Application front end.  Not a vista PC in sight!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Arran wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

Just wondering why you are linking .NET 3 to Vista?  We started moving a very large project and a new project to .NET 3 over a year ago and have gained so much from WPF and Workflow Foundation.  We deploy our software onto Win2k3 for web and windows services.  Also XP Clients for the WPF Application front end.  Not a vista PC in sight!

While I do occasionally forget the NET3.0 can run on XP Perplexed , it's more about our clients:  they won't pay for us to rewrite to use the technology until they're comfortable with it.  They're not likely to want to add to XP, they will wait until they end up with Vista.

Herbie

• User profile image
    wkempf

DCMonkey wrote:
    Rosario sounds like a VSTS-only update to whatever TS stuff is in VS 2008, not a whole new version of VS.

But I'd love to be proven wrong. One day I might even get 2 full versions of VS in one year's MSDN subscription! And a pony!

Once upon a time, you were gauranteed a new VS every quarter!  I actually miss that.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.