Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Whatever happened to Tony Goodhew?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

I remember this interview with Tony Goodhew. I remember it as an exciting interview and in the recent interview with Soma and Scott Guthrie there is more talk about how MS built VS2008 (their process - some sort of Agile).

What happened to Tony Goodhew, was he in on it? Whatever MS did to change their practice, they did something right because VS2008 Beta 2 is so much more better in terms of quality and performance than VS2005 (even in the RTM version Wink).

• User profile image
    tgoodhew

I'm actually still here and working on the VS08 release, I guess I got bogged down in the nuts and bolts of getting the product out the door from my side of the house.

I'm really happy that you like the product and find the quality good. This was one of the major areas that we focused on for this release.

I think people will be pleasantly surpirsed with the VS 08 product. When we started planning for it we had a short timeline to ship this release in and yet we started our scenario planning process by letting our teams think about any solution they wanted to the scenarios they were faced with.

Once we got down to the task of actually building the release we had to cut a lot of great ideas. Given the short timeframe of this release I'd like to put it into perspective.

In VS05 we released over 400 new features for developers. In VS08 we started with around 50 value propositions, which lead us to about 250 experiences and resulted in almost 600 new features. Now a lot of those features are designed to make the internals of the product better or roll-up into what we called a feature in VS05 but it's still a lot of great work.

I expect that we'll have around the same feature area in the product as in VS05 but in a cycle of about half the time.

The dev team has done a great job on this and I'm extremely proud of the product we delivered in this cycle.

TonyG

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

Great to hear from you! Big Smile Congratulations on a great beta release! It would be fun to have a follow up interview, with some sort of review of your change of method from VS2005 to VS2008, what was good, what was not so good! Exciting stuff...

• User profile image
    tgoodhew

Not a bad idea for a fall video - I'll see what I can come up with.

TonyG

• User profile image
    mjo0118

tgoodhew said:
    Not a bad idea for a fall video - I'll see what I can come up with.

TonyG

Well Done Tony!!

I think 2008 was a very good step forward  are you still involved in the product I know you must be coming up to retirment age soon

Mike O'Hanlon

• User profile image
    blowdart

mjo0118 said:
    tgoodhew said:
    *snip*

Well Done Tony!!

I think 2008 was a very good step forward  are you still involved in the product I know you must be coming up to retirment age soon

Mike O'Hanlon

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.