Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Wow. I wasn't aware of how bad the Nvidia drivers for Vista were...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    alwaysmc2

...until I downloaded the new drivers that were released this week!

I don't game on the computer too much (other than a bit of Starcraft Smiley), but when I played Plasma Pong it never got more than 10 FPS.  Now with the update it's up to 60.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/

By the way, I have an Nvideo GeForce 7600 GT, and it's noisy.

Has anyone else installed the updated driver and seen as dramatic a change as I have?

On a side note, the update didn't appear in Windows Update.  Will it eventually?

• User profile image
    Rowan

Vista has been running well for me with my 7900, so it will be interesting if I can notice any performance improvements.

Thanks for the link.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

I've got an earlier version of the Nvidia drivers and they work perfectly, so I'm not updating!

My ati system on the other hand...

• User profile image
    littleguru

nVidia website wrote:

Release Note: The NVIDIA Control Panel may take up to one minute to open when accessed the first time after restarting the system.

LOL

I'm downloading right now. I hope my experience gets better with it! I'll launch our OpenGL game afterwards and report Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

webmonkey wrote:

LOL!   I'm the other way round, thinking of ditching nVidia in favour of ATI Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

PerfectPhase wrote:

webmonkey wrote:

LOL!   I'm the other way round, thinking of ditching nVidia in favour of ATI 

My bad experience with nVidia during the Vista beta has caused me to buy an ATI card for my new computer, and I haven't regretted it one second. The drivers work perfectly.

• User profile image
    mig

Sven Groot wrote:

PerfectPhase wrote:

webmonkey wrote:

LOL!   I'm the other way round, thinking of ditching nVidia in favour of ATI 

My bad experience with nVidia during the Vista beta has caused me to buy an ATI card for my new computer, and I haven't regretted it one second. The drivers work perfectly.

I second this, not to mention the horror stories you can read online about the NVIDIA drivers.  Even if I hadn't switched to ATI based on my own experience, I wouldn't have purchased an NVIDIA card after doing research on what Vista-ready video card to buy.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

I guess its just the ATI/AMD chipset drivers then.

I'd never had an nVidia card before this, always gone to ATI before.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

mig wrote:
    I second this, not to mention the horror stories you can read online about the NVIDIA drivers.  Even if I hadn't switched to ATI based on my own experience, I wouldn't have purchased an NVIDIA card after doing research on what Vista-ready video card to buy.

You'd think I'd learn, considering nVidia were just as bad (if not worse) during the Windows 2000 beta (I had a GeForce DDR back then). Smiley

• User profile image
    Kental

To be quite honest, I've had absolutely NOTHING but trouble using ATI cards in the past.  I've bought 3, and I've had 3 die on me, or simply not work at all.  For one of them I was able to get it to work by using Omega drivers (ATI's drivers crashed my machine endlessly, and I'm simply assuming it was their drivers because as soon as I uninstalled them, it never crashed again).

My personal preference will still continue to be nVidia, because I've never had a problem with them on vista yet.  I continue to get 50-60 FPS on any game I play, regardless of settings usually.

To answer the original point, however: I didn't notice a difference in these drivers from the last ones.  From a performance standpoint, that is.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Indeed, ATI rocks! NVIDIA sucks! Intel... sucks even more... Big Smile

Hmmm... V2:
    ATI sucks a little, NVIDIA just sucks, Intel Crappy Media Accelerators sucks a lot! Smiley

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

Kental wrote:

To be quite honest, I've had absolutely NOTHING but trouble using ATI cards in the past.  I've bought 3, and I've had 3 die on me, or simply not work at all.  For one of them I was able to get it to work by using Omega drivers (ATI's drivers crashed my machine endlessly, and I'm simply assuming it was their drivers because as soon as I uninstalled them, it never crashed again).

My personal preference will still continue to be nVidia, because I've never had a problem with them on vista yet.  I continue to get 50-60 FPS on any game I play, regardless of settings usually.

To answer the original point, however: I didn't notice a difference in these drivers from the last ones.  From a performance standpoint, that is.

Never overclock your system. Never buy cheap video cards and overclock them. Never buy cards with passive cooling.
    Simple rules. I never had any problems with ATI cards.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Stebet

I have a Geforce 8800 GTS. I haven't had any problems with my Nvidia card. My Vista machine is rock-stable and performance is great.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Can't go ATI, because they don't ship usable drivers for Linux, so I'd be even more out of luck with my OS of choice.

• User profile image
    prencher

BlackTiger wrote:

Kental wrote:

Never overclock your system. Never buy cheap video cards and overclock them. Never buy cards with passive cooling.
    Simple rules. I never had any problems with ATI cards.

Have a gigabyte 7600 GT with passive cooling; it works just fine, including at full load; It even overclocks without issue (although I don't personally, just tried it to see).. So I don't know about that. Moreover, it sits at 50c-60c.

While those "simple rules" might have some amount of truth in them, they are simply vague guidelines, and what it comes down to is research what you buy and make an informed decision.

For me that means staying the hell away from ATI, with their awful driver quality (XP, linux - don't know about vista), and having 3 of the damn cards die on me over the years. NV has never given me issues, but it seems different for everyone; Either they have tons of issues with nvidia, or tons of issues with ATI.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Stebet wrote:
    I have a Geforce 8800 GTS. I haven't had any problems with my Nvidia card. My Vista machine is rock-stable and performance is great.

Same for me, 768MB 8800GTS using the 158.24 drivers and it works quite well. I don't know if I want to mess with the new 1662.22  WHQL drivers or not.

I had DIRT crash once, but it could be a problem with the game and not Nvidia's drivers.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Just FWIW and my $0.02 worth etc...

With Vista and my 7800GTX ( I think it's 7800 -- i'd have to check to be sure I not at home right now)

I never had a BSOD or major crash with XP SP2

with vista I have had a strange crash when playing a video full screen. for example a C9 video or a DVD.

I got the new drivers this weekend and watched the C9 vid on GC and it did not hang or crash, I am hoping they fixed whatever glitch was going on! (Crosses fingers etc....)

when it was happening it generaly did not happen till 5-15 minutes of playback. the screen went black, audio kept going. then the screen would go nuts with garbage data patterns then the sound would lockup an then the pc would have to be shutdown via power button.

Vista x64 ultimate
    2 flatpanel displays on DVI cables.
    #1 1680x1050
    #2 1280x1024

#2 is a vga analog so really it's a dvi adpater to a vga cable.
    #1 is a true dvi flatpanel.

same hardware with xp and no crashes of that kind.

I hope the crashing is gone now!

• User profile image
    Bas

Chinmay007 wrote:
    Sorry but I laughed out loud at this thread.

So this is how it is then? All the Windows fanbois saying NVidia sucks go with ATI, and all the Linux fanbois saying ATI sucks go with NVidia.

It seems your choice of OS influences so many other uncountable things.

Why the hilarity? Isn't it normal that people choose hardware that works best on their operating system of choice?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.