Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Live Calendar desktop and Windows Live Sidebar

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

When can we see those products come to pass.  Since OEMs have stated their intentions to keep offering Windows XP for a time customers need those all important tools and of course some deals to have them loaded on desktops..

• User profile image
    joem83

As far as I know these programs will not be back ported to XP.  The only possibility is that the Live group may make their own calendar.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Cmon now Yahoo and Google are beating Microsofts bootay when it comes to widgets on the older platforms.  Microsoft has no competitive product for Windows XP, Windows Live Calendar Desktop would be useful if for nothing else to give people alternatives to Sunbird and Google/Yahoo calendar, imagine a calendar you can sync from your desktop, online

joem83 wrote:
    As far as I know these programs will not be back ported to XP.  The only possibility is that the Live group may make their own calendar.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

rjdohnert wrote:
    ...and Google/Yahoo calendar, imagine a calendar you can sync from your desktop, online

I'm confused, do Yahoo/Google offer a desktop calendar app?

• User profile image
    z2bass

I've heard that there WILL be an XP sidebar.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

z2bass wrote:

There was going to be an XP sidebar...

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

PaoloM wrote:

z2bass wrote:

Why isn't there going to be an XP sidebar?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

z2bass wrote:

Why isn't there going to be an XP sidebar?

What would be the point?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Massif wrote:

What would be the point?

Enabling people who can't upgrade to Vista to still write widgets and improve the usefulness for both OSes?

• User profile image
    Massif

But from a customer's perspective they can already use a large selection of existing widgets for a simple free download. So there's little point for the customer.

And from MS's point of view they gain a little momentum for Sidebar at the expensive of the "exclusive" tag on a Vista feature. So I guess for them it's "six of one" time.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Windows Sidebar already "back-ported" to XP. Try to google for "VAIO project aeroxp" (not SONY VAIO). Just install this software and any Windows Sidebar (builds prior 6000 works fine on XP).

http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/compatibility/

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Theres also a really cool Vista start menu emulator that works brilliantly. It's called ViStart I think Big Smile

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Theres also a really cool Vista start menu emulator that works brilliantly. It's called ViStart I think

I like it. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

GoddersUK wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Theres also a really cool Vista start menu emulator that works brilliantly. It's called ViStart I think

I like it.

They're adding even more functionality to it than the actual Vista start menu. Theres going to be a larger icon for every app, and a nicer way to shut down (a cycle thing I think).

Last modified
  • User profile image
    mstefan

rjdohnert wrote:
    When can we see those products come to pass.  Since OEMs have stated their intentions to keep offering Windows XP for a time customers need those all important tools and of course some deals to have them loaded on desktops..

That's going to be a short-lived proposition in any case. Microsoft has said that they're going to discontinue sales of XP come the end of January (I think that's standard policy for them; they discontinue selling previous versions a year after a new version of Windows is released).

XP is on a short leash at this point. Why spend time backporting new stuff for it? It doesn't make much sense.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.