Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WTF?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Why on earth does Google have to WordPress icon?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I think it's a cache bug in Internet Explorer. I know Opera used to have problems like this, but I think they solved it.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I had the same kinda thing happen to me: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=297148

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Bah... that's just in the address bar.

I've got one in FF on my bookmarks toolbar. Cool

It's actually a rogue c9 guy! [6]

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Ok, IE7 just crashed TWICE on me, and this happened both times.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Island Dog

Happens to me all the time with Firefox.

• User profile image
    The J

This doesn't happen often to me in Opera (or really any browser I use); however, I've had it happen in the Add/Remove Programs panel with programs getting the wrong icon. One time, I noticed that one of the programs had the ATI logo next to it, even though the program was the software for my nForce3 motherboard and there is no ATI hardware in my computer. Try explaining that one.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

The J wrote:
    This doesn't happen often to me in Opera (or really any browser I use); however, I've had it happen in the Add/Remove Programs panel with programs getting the wrong icon. One time, I noticed that one of the programs had the ATI logo next to it, even though the program was the software for my nForce3 motherboard and there is no ATI hardware in my computer. Try explaining that one.

Windows 95 used to be really bad about that kind of thing if it had been running too long...  the icon cache would get messed up and you'd start seeing random icons for disks, programs, even the taskbar icon for My Computer.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

How can the simplest thing; connecting a fav/icon to a file/website go wrong??

Or rather, how it can still be a problem since Win95??

Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    How can the simplest thing; connecting a fav/icon to a file/website go wrong??

It's not the simplest of things to do when it comes to developing a browser shell. Although it certainly isn't anything hard, but developing a fix is just a real low priority for the IE guys.

The favicon code has been around since 1998, I doubt anyone inside MS actually wants to touch it, even less so considering it's spread all over the place (in the *.url icon handler, in the Links rebar, in the Favorites list, et).

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Or rather, how it can still be a problem since Win95??

That was a different problem altogether.

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

The favicon code has been around since 1998, I doubt anyone inside MS actually wants to touch it, even less so considering it's spread all over the place (in the *.url icon handler, in the Links rebar, in the Favorites list, et).

I'm sure someone, probably Bruce or Dave, explained on here that it had been rewritten for IE7 and should have been fixed. It's certainly much more reliable than it was in IE6, I usually only get odd behaviour after IE has crashed.

• User profile image
    stevo_

While we're at this, it's been commented a few times that it isn't a 'simple' system to establish..

But I don't see how thats true.. sure it may be a hard to write the rules up for cache validation of icons, how long they last etc etc. But why it would mix up icons I don't understand, to me this suggests a very fragile structure these icons are stored in, which is easily corruptable.

Surely you can't be suggesting that the structure of the system that contains these icons and their relation to an address is hard to create.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

The J wrote:
    I've had it happen in the Add/Remove Programs panel with programs getting the wrong icon. One time, I noticed that one of the programs had the ATI logo next to it, even though the program was the software for my nForce3 motherboard and there is no ATI hardware in my computer. Try explaining that one.

I've had mixed up icons in the add/remove list but never ones that came from nowhere... Perplexed

My file associations have been known to get mixed up before (as have my desktop icons).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.