Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Vista and VS 2008

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    darklotus

I was wondering if VS 2008 will have the same issue VS 2005 has on Vista. I am looking at upgrading my laptop this weekend and i was going to install Vista on it. I then thought about all the VS 2005 issues (even after the SP's) and am sorta hesitant to install Vista. Will i have the same security issues and things not working correctly under Vista w/out having to turn off those annoying "are you sure" and "are you an admin" messages? I just want to be able to write code and envoke my IDE the same on Vista as XP and not have to hear all about "run as an administrator".

Thanks...

• User profile image
    littleguru

No "you need to be admin" message. VS2008 works great on Vista. I have it even installed side by side with VS2005.

• User profile image
    mig

littleguru: What about using IIS with Vista, does VS2008 require elevation for that?

I personally do most of my development on Cassini, but it's still something I need answered because I've had to work on a site that's hosted on IIS before.

• User profile image
    mstefan

Out of curiousity, what kind of work do you do with VS2005 that requires that you run the IDE with elevated privileges? I run it normally, and haven't run into any issues so far with SP1 and the Vista update installed.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

mstefan wrote:
    Out of curiousity, what kind of work do you do with VS2005 that requires that you run the IDE with elevated privileges? I run it normally, and haven't run into any issues so far with SP1 and the Vista update installed.

Vista prompts me to mark the program icon properties Shortcut page clicking the 'Advanced' button and checking 'Run as administrator'.

It's not about a message during VS2005 operation, the message occurs when initially attempting to start VS2005.

I believe the message exists due to a change in Vista regarding the 'Program Files' directory tree. This is now read-only without elevate-to-admin rights via UAC in Vista.

Applications like VS2005 and other compilers write to their own installation directories, and need administrative priviledge to do this.
    There is no prompting when 'Run as administrator' is checked.

Is this what others find?

Orcas makes IIS and Cassini unnecessary for development, I think.

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

mstefan wrote:

If you need to debug Windows services, you'll need to elevate for that. Attempting to attach the debugger to a Windows service w/o elevation causes an access denied error I think (Some error anyway).

• User profile image
    Kevin Daly

For what it's worth, I note that there's now an app.manifest item you can add to a project.

It's a little thing and it had been promised, but it's nice to see it anyway.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

JohnAskew wrote:
    Applications like VS2005 and other compilers write to their own installation directories, and need administrative priviledge to do this.

That is most certainly not the case. VS2005 (and indeed its predecessors) is perfectly capable of running under a limited user account. I have done so for many years, even in XP.

There is a very limited amount of things that VS cannot do if not elevated. Making changes in the IIS metabase, attaching the debugger to a process run under a different user account (required for ASP.NET debugging with IIS, not with the development web server though), auto-registering COM objects, these are things that require administrator privileges.

For almost all other normal development work, you can (and imnsho, should) run VS2005 as a limited user, ignoring the message. Only if you encounter something that doesn't work should you elevate.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

It is true of Delphi 7...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.