Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

I need a new MP3 player

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Minh

I recently found my MP3 player after a couple of days missing and my first thought was "damn, now I can't go buy a new one."

Which really mean I hate the Creative Zen micro Photo. Which is true. It's because:

1) The touchy, feely "buttons." Screw Steve Jobs and his irrational fear of buttons. I need my tatily, clicky, buttons. So the iPod is out!

2) The Zen's UI is as primitive as it gets. It's a wonder how they receive a pattent for this damn thing. Maybe software patents are bad after all. I would like a liquidy, fluidy UI.

3) No more hard drives. One drop from a bathroom sink to the floor & the thing is dead (so I've heard, because it definitely didn't happen to me, definitely, because Creative warranty doesn't cover drops, which I definitely didn't have. Definitely.)

4) The Zen sucks at listening to hour-long podcasts because if you happen to stop at the middle of one and leave the thing off for too long, it loses its place in the podcast.

So if anyone can offer an advice on one that meet the above criteria, I'd appreciate it.

5) Oh, I'd like me some video-playing ability, too, please.

• alwaysmc2

I'm pretty happy with my Creative Zen Vision.  (It did break once, though. *drop*  Anyway, Creative replaced it.)
    Creative doen't make those any more, though.  They've gone to the Creative Zen Vision: W, which is widescreen.

I'm thinking about getting a Zune when the gen 2 comes out, though.

• amotif

Minh wrote:
    4) The Zen sucks at listening to hour-long podcasts because if you happen to stop at the middle of one and leave the thing off for too long, it loses its place in the podcast.

I just bought a Zen V Plus (4GB) that does the same thing. Well, I don't think it always forgets, but I haven't worked out what's going on yet. Other than that I like it.

(Actually, it doesn't have the insanely good ergo design that my recently-dead iRiver T10 had, but they're not making T10s any more.)

• alwaysmc2

amotif wrote:

Minh wrote:

I just bought a Zen V Plus (4GB) that does the same thing. Well, I don't think it always forgets, but I haven't worked out what's going on yet. Other than that I like it.

(Actually, it doesn't have the insanely good ergo design that my recently-dead iRiver T10 had, but they're not making T10s any more.)

I think after a while it goes from "sleep" to completely off.  I find that if I leave it "off" for a while and turn it back on I'll have to wait through the boot screen.

• bgmacaw

I recently bought a bare-bones 1GB flash based Coby player for $30. I've got a couple of more expensive players but I wanted something I could take fishing, hiking or elsewhere outdoors and not worry about breaking or losing a $250+ piece of electronics. The earbuds that come with it are useless and the interface is text based (no pretty album graphics here) but the sound quality is actually quite good with decent phones or plugged into a external stereo. It works with MP3 and WMA, including subscription WMA.

As long as you aren't looking for all the hot bells and whistles and a huge memory capacity I recommend looking at the low end when it comes to flash players.

• swiatecki

I know you said  the iPod was out, but i must admit that my Ipod(30 gb) i wonderful !!

The nice design & logical menusystems, well i like it alot Cool

• alwaysmc2

swiatecki wrote:
    I know you said  the iPod was out, but i must admit that my Ipod(30 gb) i wonderful !!

The nice design & logical menusystems, well i like it alot

But where's the subscription content? Sad

• Yggdrasil

bgmacaw wrote:
    As long as you aren't looking for all the hot bells and whistles and a huge memory capacity I recommend looking at the low end when it comes to flash players.

I'm with bgmacaw here. My last player was an iRiver U10, which was quite a lovely little player, but I found that I never use it for video. Most players I've tried, either the screen is too small or the whole player is too big.

So I settled for small. Bought a Sansa Express a few days ago, now waiting for it to arrive. 2GB + a slot for a 2GB microSD card, supports WMA and MP3, supports subscriptions (though it's irrelevant here in Israel), connects directly to the USB port without a cable.
    In short, a good low-end player. Reviews say it's sturdy and doesn't die easy, which is important.

• PaoloM

swiatecki wrote:

Except for the retarded clickywheel. That's an ergonomic/safety nightmare. Oh, and iTunes. Worst. Application. Ever.

I have to say it works decently when relegated in the glove box of my car, just being controlled by the head unit....

• harumscarum

PaoloM wrote:

swiatecki wrote:

Oh, and iTunes. Worst. Application. Ever.

Hey it was great when it first came out. No bloat.  However since upgrading itunes with the iphone junk I am inclined to agree. I now have to find a new media software. Sad

• alwaysmc2

harumscarum wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

swiatecki wrote:

Oh, and iTunes. Worst. Application. Ever.

Hey it was great when it first came out. No bloat.  However since upgrading itunes with the iphone junk I am inclined to agree. I now have to find a new media software.

The only good thing I have to say about iTunes is that it has good podcast support.  I would really like to see that in Windows Media Player. (Right now I just use IE7's RSS reader and watch/listen to the podcasts on my computer.)

• Minh

Oh, I forgot to say that:

6) It must support USB mass storage. I hate having to use a "media player" app just to copy songs/podcasts over.   --- which is a negative for the Sansa player --- as it can't use a standard USB wire --- weird design choice.

• alwaysmc2

Minh wrote:
    Oh, I forgot to say that:

6) It must support USB mass storage. I hate having to use a "media player" app just to copy songs/podcasts over.   --- which is a negative for the Sansa player --- as it can't use a standard USB wire --- weird design choice.

Well, my Zen Vision doesn't show up as a "mass storage device", but it does show up in "Computer."  So you can just drag music into it from Explorer... if you want to.  I think Windows Media Player does a great job, though.

• PaoloM

Dylan Copeland wrote:
    Get a Zune......NOT.

Why not? The device has the best UI out there. But it wouldn't satisfy the OT requirements.
    Dylan Copeland wrote:
    How about a 5.5g iPod video?

See OT requirements. Besides, iPod -> iTunes. iTunes -> crap.

• DuNuNuBatman

I'm pretty damn happy with my zune. I liked the ipod wheel... until I needed to change a song while it was in my pocket; which I do a lot more than I thought I would.
    Anyway, my main gripe about the zune is it isn't big enough!!! With subscription music, I filled the thing up the first week I had it. Now I must <gasp>Organize my music</gasp>

There is a hack you can do to turn your zune into a storage device, but if you are like me, then you don't want to do that.
    Besides that, it uses a weird charging/sync cable, which I hate. Is there really any reason they couldn't just use usb?

• DuNuNuBatman

Dylan Copeland wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Dylan Copeland wrote:
    Get a Zune......NOT.

Why not? The device has the best UI out there. But it wouldn't satisfy the OT requirements.
    Dylan Copeland wrote:
    How about a 5.5g iPod video?

See OT requirements. Besides, iPod -> iTunes. iTunes -> crap.

The Zune? Lulz. It's HUGE. I could not image putting that in my pocket. Not even my jacket pocket. And the "click wheel" on it is a pure rip off of the iPod's. If apple didn't have a patent on it, Microsoft would've put touch-sensetivity on it.

iTunes is not the only application that can sync with the iPod. I mean, we all see how successfull "Plays For Sure" was with WMP.

Plus, I can play Tetris, PacMan, and many other games on the 5.5g iPod video.

I don't think it is that big. I don't run with it though, so I guess it isn't too much of an issue for me. I mainly use it in the car... all 2hr's of driving... eech!

I didn't realize that Apple patented the circle!
    I had other Plays For Sure mp3 players and I liked them. I was able to try out other music services and dump them at will.

I'll stick to my PSP/roms thanks.

Besides that, being able to watch wide screen movies on my zune is pretty cool. I do that sometimes too...

• Minh

alwaysmc2 wrote:

I'm pretty happy with my Creative Zen Vision.  (It did break once, though. *drop*  Anyway, Creative replaced it.)
    Did you tell them you dropped it? I played it safe & didn't say that (which is true.... ish).

alwaysmc2 wrote:

Well, my Zen Vision doesn't show up as a "mass storage device", but it does show up in "Computer."

Same with mine. When I had an iRiver, it just works. I'm leaning towards an iRiver.

• PaoloM

Dylan Copeland wrote:
    The Zune? Lulz. It's HUGE. I could not image putting that in my pocket. Not even my jacket pocket.

Really? Have you measured it? Did you notice that it is shorter than an iPhone? OMG, TEH IPHONS SI HUEG LOL!!!111~~~ Expressionless
    Dylan Copeland wrote:
    And the "click wheel" on it is a pure rip off of the iPod's. If apple didn't have a patent on it, Microsoft would've put touch-sensetivity on it.

Apple has no patent on touch sensitivity, as you can see with another one of my players, the Creative Zen Vision:M. And the navigation pad on the Zune is more akin to a discrete gamepad than to a continuous scrolling UI element.

Deal with it, even Apple had to completely ditch the iPod UI in the iPhone because it was dated.
    Dylan Copeland wrote:
    iTunes is not the only application that can sync with the iPod.

Yes it is, if you want to use music you bought on ITS.
    Dylan Copeland wrote:
    I mean, we all see how successfull "Plays For Sure" was with WMP.

What was not successful?
    Dylan Copeland wrote:
    Plus, I can play Tetris, PacMan, and many other games on the 5.5g iPod video.

Sure. And I have a DS Lite for Advance Wars 2: DS and Phoenix Wright.

Considering that it was very clear in the OT that Minh doesn't want a hard drive based player, how is your suggestion relevant at all?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.