Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

"Old Fashioned" geek dinner

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Lazycoder2

Phil Haack is going to be in town, so I asked him if he wanted to get together for an adult beverage. It's spawned into a geek dinner of sorts this Sunday probably around 10PM ish. He has some more info on his blog as well as a discussion of WHERE to have this gathering.

Right now it's going to be somewhere on the eastside. JJ Mahoneys and The Taphouse are the front runners.

So if you're in the Seattle area and up for some geek talk, come join us.

• PaoloM

Hrm. How do I tell him that I found wordpress better than subtext from the customization point of view? Smiley

• blowdart

PaoloM wrote:
    Hrm. How do I tell him that I found wordpress better than subtext from the customization point of view?

Opens MSN window
    "Phil that Paolo bloke; slap him"

<beer28>It's open source change it yourself</beer28>

The skinning is pretty bad; we know; it's changing, and a formal plugin model is coming.

• blowdart

Minh wrote:
    Quick SubText question... Is there a IFileStorageProvider (not actual name, I'm sure) like dasBlog? ... ie not requiring a database backend (not sure if I asked you this before)...

Nope it's for putting uploaded files and images in a central place like a database or mirrored directory for web farm support.

• Minh

Quick SubText question... Is there a IFileStorageProvider (not actual name, I'm sure) like dasBlog? ... ie not requiring a database backend (not sure if I asked you this before)...

I've been waiting for Scott H. to release dasBlog 2.0, but I guess he's got something going on right now... wonder what it could be...

edit: I'd like to share my CommunityServer 0.9 (what was the blog portion called?) pain point. When trying to convert the db to a new blog system (was just gonna write an app), I discovered that my DB & it's transaction log as > 4 GB (each)... it's because of the blog spam I got...

I decided that the blog is now a low pri... right behind "just start a new blog"...

• Haacked

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
    Wink

Wordpress is more customizable from an end-user perspective, for sure. But from a code perspective, it's only more customizable if you like to write PHP code.

WordPress is definitely a great blog platform and one that we would like to emulate in some ways, and hopefully improve upon in others.

We're addressing many of the issues and are always looking for contributors to help us out in that regard.

As for the IFileStorage someone mentioned, someone is working on a mockup for that. But ours is related to storing assets (images etc...) so that you can upload it to a BLOB or the file system.

• PaoloM

Hi Phil Smiley

actually I really like the subtext underlying concepts, it's that I wanted something even simpler for my personal blog. And the big deal with Wordpress is the huge amount of themes that are available online...

Ok ok, I promise I'll take a look at the subtext skinning overview... Smiley

• blowdart

PaoloM wrote:
    And the big deal with Wordpress is the huge amount of themes that are available online...

Such a PR attitude Tongue Out

• Lazycoder2

Come find him at about 11:00PM on Sunday. He should be well lubricated and open to suggestions. Smiley

• Haacked

That was a fun dinner! Seattle (well actually Bellevue) rocks!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.