Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What Zune 2.0 needs to beat the Ipod!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ACT10Npack

Zune 1.0 is no iPod killer. They lock down the player so that you need to use the zune software. Could only play mp3, uprotected wma and zune protection format for the audio and mpeg4, mpeg, wmv, and H.264. It can do Divx but you will need to hack it to get that to work. The device is twice as thick as the ipod. The only thing good about it, is it's screen and the FM signal built in. The WiFi is pointless because 2 own will most likely be 5 miles apart. You can share but only 3 plays or 3 days and half of the songs on Zune Marketplace will not let you share.

The iPod have a lot of problems like no WMA or WMV or DIVX playback and you will need iTunes to use it. For a lot of people thats not a big deal but for the few it will, like me.

Zune 2.0 will need a few thing in it if Microsoft want a better share of the portable music player market. It needs to be thinner or as thin as the current IPod. It should be about to sync to any OS (MAC, Windows, Linux, Sun) and music player app like WMP, WinAMP and iTunes. Thats right iTunes too. Microsoft needs to be more open to open source formats like Divx, Xvid and FACC. It needs to be able to play protected music files like play4sure and protected acc files from the iTunes store. A better uses of the WiFi is not to share it with other Zune player but to connect it to PCs and download file from there or buy music from zune player itself. I think the interface is nice but make it so that the user can touch the screen to nav. instead of a button. Better battery life. Something that gets over 48 hours of audio and 24 of video playback. I have a few more but that can be use in version 3, 4 and 10 like Holograph screen.

What will it take to buy a Micosoft Zune 2.0?

• User profile image
    lilic

Yeah, it's really not a big deal that "The iPod have a lot of problems like no WMA or WMV or DIVX playback", because you could search on google to get iPod Video Converter to convert ipod movies and music, and both for PC and Mac

Well, think it's really a hard question for us.

• User profile image
    Bas

Who wants to bet that in two months time, this thread will get resurrected by that ipod converter spam guy?

• User profile image
    Metal MilitiA

attention mr.allard get rid of the fm thigny coz nobody cares for it make it thinner give it a complete touch screen and make wireless sharing available with anything like a psp or a xbox or ps3 anything so its more universal and have xboxlive arcade games that you have on xbox available there and make developing easier so your most listened to musics will be on your face book your photos will sync with flickr your videos with youtube or soapox the wireless is useless if you cant looktrough the internet the device is running on windos ce so there already is a ie for that if you think that the typings going to be a problem rss feeds are a god way to us the internet these features are not in the ipod and if they were in the zune i nothing would stop me from getting a zune

• User profile image
    Bas

BlackTiger wrote:
    1. Work as external HDD
    2. TouchScreen
    3. WebBrowser
    4. Mobile Phone capabilities

Get a smartphone. Done!

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

1. Work as external HDD
    2. TouchScreen
    3. WebBrowser

Cool

And probably I'll buy such device if it will reach Europe during my lifetime. Tongue Out

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

Bas wrote:

BlackTiger wrote:
    1. Work as external HDD
    2. TouchScreen
    3. WebBrowser

Get a smartphone. Done!

Never heard about smartphones with 30GB storage... It looks like conspiracy theory for me...

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

Let me guess, this thing should offer all that, and still cost under $100, right?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Bas wrote:
    Let me guess, this thing should offer all that, and still cost under $100, right?

And create world peace.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

BlackTiger wrote:
    Never heard about smartphones with 30GB storage... It looks like conspiracy theory for me...

Get a PocketPC Phone with a CF slot, you can get a 32GB CompactFlash card that way.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Metal MilitiA wrote:
    attention mr.allard get rid of the fm thigny coz nobody cares for it

Drop the tuner? Get bent, that decided it for me. So much for your claims of no-one.

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:

Metal MilitiA wrote:

Drop the tuner? Get bent, that decided it for me. So much for your claims of no-one.

Was it worth the pain just to listen to Radio 4?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Metal MilitiA wrote:

Was it worth the pain just to listen to Radio 4?

At 18:30? Oh yes.

The pain for me is the desktop software

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:

I am still trying to work out what that's all about - what's so bad about it?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Speed. Usability.

And if you store your music on another machine, like I do, if the zune software can't see the share it thinks the music is gone, and starts deleting it from the device.

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:

Rossj wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Speed. Usability.

And if you store your music on another machine, like I do, if the zune software can't see the share it thinks the music is gone, and starts deleting it from the device.

So, nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of effort.  Confident it'll be fixed for Zune 2, and that the software will be compatible with 1?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

cheap
    agree..sync with itunes
    micro sized
    allow streaming with neigbors just like itunes/wmp does (not sure if this is what the 3play/share for the zune does now)
    battery lasts for at least 6-8 hrs
    doubles as a transformer

• User profile image
    phreaks

ACT10Npack wrote:

What Zune 2.0 needs to beat the Ipod!

Umm, Batteries?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.