Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Best Profiler for .NET

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rahsoftware

Hi,

I'm just looking into .NET profilers, what do people recommend has anybody got any experience with profilers?, I'm thinking of ANTS Profiler?

I need one that does not crash my IDE every two minutes, I had downloaded CodeRush from Dev Express to use for a VB.NET app and it killed Visual Studio and the hotfix didn't work so stability is important to.

Anyway, any advice i'd love to here it.

Rob

• User profile image
    bbrewder

rahsoftware wrote:
    Hi,

I'm just looking into .NET profilers, what do people recommend has anybody got any experience with profilers?, I'm thinking of ANTS Profiler?

I need one that does not crash my IDE every two minutes, I had downloaded CodeRush from Dev Express to use for a VB.NET app and it killed Visual Studio and the hotfix didn't work so stability is important to.

Anyway, any advice i'd love to here it.

Rob

The profiler built into VS 2005 Team Dev is pretty good and it's performant (just as important as stable).

I've had some serious performance issues with ANTS for 2005 (it worked great for 2003 though). As a note, I haven't done much performance profiling in probably close to a year, so ANTS might be much better now. Also, our application is very large, ANTS probably works much better with a smaller application.

• User profile image
    Millah

Hey Rob,

We're not aware of any stability issues with CodeRush, so if you have discovered an issue, especially in the area of performance or stability, we need to hear about that. Please report it to support@devexpress.com, and if you can, please give us some clues as to how we might be able to reproduce the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Miller

Developer Express
    C# MVP

• User profile image
    littleguru

dotTrace seems to be good Smiley Just as another idea. It runs as standalone, is easy to use and has some great features. Version 3.0 does even allow to check the memory usage etc. Nice little tool.

• User profile image
    Chadk

rahsoftware wrote:

I havent had any stability issues with coderush whatsoever. But where does it hide the profiler? :O

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

The last I installed CodeRush was about 5 or 6 months ago and it crashed VB every 2 minutes, when I wanted to type IF it randomly became I()F  so I had to restart Visual Studio. It may very well be fixed now but that was my experience of it.

Rob

• User profile image
    Chadk

rahsoftware wrote:
    The last I installed CodeRush was about 5 or 6 months ago and it crashed VB every 2 minutes, when I wanted to type IF it randomly became I()F  so I had to restart Visual Studio. It may very well be fixed now but that was my experience of it.

Rob

You dont think its pretty hard to judge ½ year old software? Expressionless

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

Hi,

The description I provided earlier was of the old version of CodeRush if it's fixed now then that's good. CodeRush is an excellent idea and if it all works as it should then it's a very good investment I just had a few issues. It could have been down to a possible plug-in interfering with CodeRush.

Please don't be put off the software it's a very useful tool.

As for my judgement on the 1/2 year old software, I take my Visual Studio very seriously I spend most of my time using it so for something to interfere with it when I have mountains of work to get through I get very frustrated. Like most developers would.

Thanks for the Profiler suggestions guys!

Rob

• User profile image
    jrcrum

Rob,
    I can't say which one is the best, but I use Scitech's .Net profiler.  It works pretty well for my purposes (mostly hunting for memory leaks). 

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I've had mixed success with Devpartner's profiler.  One thing you may want to check is what other software is also running within (or using) the visual studio IDE.  I could consistently lock up the entire IDE if I had both DevPartner and TypeMock installed at the same time. 

Personally, I wouldn't use them again, the software was expensive, and it would take a few false starts before the application would eventually run long enough to be profiled....

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

Hi,

Thank's for all your replies, I think i'm going to give ANTS a spin it seems reasonably priced, i'll let you know my findings thanks for all your replies you have been a great help.

Rob

• User profile image
    Millah

rahsoftware wrote:

Rob

Hey Rob,

My apologies for the delay in responding. That random "I()F" issue was an old problem in Visual Studio, as I recall, and was corrected in their service pack. If you try CodeRush again, be sure you have the latest update to VS installed.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.