Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

who has an xbox360?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I was thinking of bying one, does this make sense now? Or should i just build a gamming PC? or both? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    dahat

Since I got my 360 I've done very little gaming on the PC and frankly you have picked a good time to consider buying this prices are about to go down.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have also such a nifty box. Mostly for playing acrade games and some selected other games. I enjoy it a lot. If you like gaming it's worth it.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I have a PS3 but no PS3 games yet, since they are so expensive--I'll get some eventually. I do have PS2 games for it; the system upscales them to our 1080p HDTV nicely.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

I have one, altought it's back with MS as I got 3 rings of death. I guess it's a good time to buy as the over heating issue or whatever the fault is, will also be sloved at least I would hope any how.

Also I read the other the day that along with the price drop that the XBOX360 premium is now going to to with an HDMI connection.

Also you can't beat watching c9 videos via the xbox's extender...

I've just purchase a Wii and while it's fun, the online experience isn't doesn't touch xbox live!

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Ion Todirel wrote:
    I was thinking of bying one, does this make sense now? Or should i just build a gaming PC? or both?

The Xbox 360 has some significant reliability issues. I'd wait for these problems to be solved or just buy a PS3. The PS3 has some software-related issues but the latest firmware solves most them while providing new features.

A gaming system is nice as well but the cost of the system will most definitely be greater than any game console.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:
    I was thinking of bying one, does this make sense now? Or should i just build a gaming PC? or both?

The Xbox 360 has some significant reliability issues. I'd wait for these problems to be solved or just buy a PS3. The PS3 has some software-related issues but the latest firmware solves most them while providing new features.

A gaming system is nice as well but the cost of the system will most definitely be greater than any game console.

The PS3 isn't selling... don't they have problems with selling it to the people. Seems like the Xbox and Wii are taking everything away Wink And the problem with reliability isn't that big - and you get the box fixed for free, if you have problems. I have my box for 2 years and 2 months and never had any red ring at all Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

Ion Todirel wrote:
    I was thinking of bying one, does this make sense now? Or should i just build a gamming PC? or both?

I'm planning to get one soon. I definitely would wait out the month, because the price drop rumors are becoming more and more obvious:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-flyer-shows-xbox-360-price-drop-on-all-systems/
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/walmart-toys-r-us-ads-confirm-50-xbox-360-price-cut.php
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/28/xbox-360-price-drop-revealed-in-wal-mart-brochure/

Also, according to a thread on xbox.com, there's a new supply of 360's becoming available within two weeks containing the new 65nm CPU's, rather than the old 90nm CPU's.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

I too have been thinking of getting one, mainly for GTA4, but now that's been delayed till next year I might wait a while.

If price drops happen or there's a good deal somewhere I might pick one up.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

littleguru wrote:
    The PS3 isn't selling... don't they have problems with selling it to the people. Seems like the Xbox and Wii are taking everything away And the problem with reliability isn't that big - and you get the box fixed for free, if you have problems. I have my box for 2 years and 2 months and never had any red ring at all

Yes, well with the price drop in effect the PS3 is selling much better with 4.5 million units sold and 6 million shipped. But I suspect it will go down again when the 80 GB is only available at $599.

Reliablity is an issue because it wastes time. It has to be sent in and you wont have any console gaming time during that time. For $400, I'd except something rock-solid in reliablity; you can just consider yourself lucky. Plus for $400, you're very limited at what you may use the 360 for and any screw ups will get your console banned. The PS3 just locks RSX from the user, everything else is open and unrestricted.

As for homebrew games, there isnt anything like XNA but it runs Linux and has SDKs to build apps and games that target the Cell architecture. Making Linux games isnt the same deal, however. But the PS3 does support media extender functionality from various PC media centers like the Xbox 360.

Additionally, Sony is talking about introducing a Digital Tuner with DVR capabilties to the system, making the HDD-upgradable PS3 into some kind of TiVo box. We'll see what the prices look like.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Reliablity is an issue because it wastes time. It has to be sent in and you wont have any console gaming time during that time. For $400, I'd except something rock-solid in reliablity. Plus for $400, you're very limited at what you may use the 360 for and any screw ups will get your console banned.

The 360 issues are supposed to the resolved now, not that I've ever had an issue with mine. The banning thing is a non-issue unless you start hacking the console and there isn't a good reason to do that.

I'm really enjoying Zelda on the Wii though, so I'd advise checking it out if you are looking to buy a games machine right now.

• User profile image
    JimmyDanger

It's also worth noting that all 360's now have a 3 year warranty - although I bought mine on launch back in March 06 and haven't had one problem. It's good to know it's covered until March 2009 though.

I also own a Wii - and while I like it - there has been no great releases since Zelda 9 months ago - and Nintendo constantly delay game releases. Paper Mario for example (otherwise known as the only other great Wii game so far) came out in the US in May , and is getting released here on 20th September.

When the 20th of September is a week before the international simultaneous launch of Halo 3 for 360 (MS don't screw us over with first party release delays as much as Nintendo - or Sony for that matter - FFXII or God OW 2 are good examples from Sony) - it becomes a little bit obvious why they held it back.

From a gamers perspective - there's no real reason to own a PS3 right now - or  probably until 2009 sometime - that's if it has some great exclusives by then. But there  is so much good  and great stuff out for the 360 in the next few months (and affordable stuff out now) - it's a great time to be a gamer.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

AndyC wrote:
    The 360 issues are supposed to the resolved now, not that I've ever had an issue with mine. The banning thing is a non-issue unless you start hacking the console and there isn't a good reason to do that.

Oh are they? Thats good news.

I suppose that makes things more ideal for new buyers.

Still...

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=85600&src=site-marq

Several million units sold thus far will need servicing or replacement to be rid of the flaws, including the millions that seem to be working still.

AndyC wrote:
    I'm really enjoying Zelda on the Wii though, so I'd advise checking it out if you are looking to buy a games machine right now.

Yes... I have a Wii too. Zelda Twilight Princess is on my buying list. I've always been a Zelda fan since the SNES days.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

JimmyDanger wrote:
    From a gamers perspective - there's no real reason to own a PS3 right now - or  probably until 2009 sometime - that's if it has some great exclusives by then. But there  is so much good  and great stuff out for the 360 in the next few months (and affordable stuff out now) - it's a great time to be a gamer.

Isnt that a matter of opinion? There are over a fifty PS3 exlusives so far and many and many more for both consoles that arent.

I might agree with you about the price. PS3 games are going for like $60 on average. I'm not sure what Xbox 360 titles are going for, however.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    The banning thing is a non-issue unless you start hacking the console and there isn't a good reason to do that.

Playing imports?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    The banning thing is a non-issue unless you start hacking the console and there isn't a good reason to do that.

Playing imports?

• User profile image
    JimmyDanger

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

JimmyDanger wrote:

Isnt that a matter of opinion? There are over a fifty PS3 exlusives so far and many and many more for both consoles that arent.

If by so far - you mean over the next 2 years - then I'd agree.

At the moment - Motorstorm, F1, and Resistance is really all there is "exclusive" for PS3 - and most gamers will tell you those titles aren't "buy a console for" titles. Heavenly Sword (out in a few weeks) may be better - but early reports (from the demo my friends have played) - are that it's OK, but just a God Of War lite. 2009/2010 for a FFXIII.

Compared to DeadRising, Forza 2, Viva Pinata , Gears Of War (to name just a few) out now and Bioshock, Halo3, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata and Ace Combat (to name just a few) out in the next few months exclusively for 360, and it comes as no surprise the 360 is still outselling the PS3 2 to 1 month to month in the USA.

As a gamer - I'll have a PS3 at some stage - when there's games worth buying it for - but  it won't be this year. Folk looks interesting though.

Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, Devil May Cry 4  - are all on 360 and PS3 next year - with only MGS4  still seemingly a PS3 exclusive, but for how long - that remains to be seen.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

We have one on our home network. It's nice fun for the lot of us.

Streaming video limited to .wmv is rather irritating, otherwise, Vista seems particularly adept at media center extension with the xBox 360.

If I can't put it on my LAN and hack into it, I don't want it around.

My kids can go buy their own Sony and Apple stuff if they need it.
    Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.