Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

3G or Mobile Internet

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rahsoftware

Hi,

I'm off away to Spain on the 16th August, and I need to get some work done while i'm abroad i'm just wondering if there is any ways I can connect to the internet abroad which won't be expensive.

I'll be staying with my parents at there place down there which is away from the main town there is no Phone, no Satellite communication so it's going to have to be a mobile phone or 3G card.

What do you think the best way to get online will be? I don't need broadband speed 9.6k is fine for picking my emails up and hitting a website i'm very patient (honest). 

Any ideas/suggestions?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Get a 3g phone that you can use for dial-up either via usb or bluetooth - best of both worlds Smiley

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

Hi,

thanks for the reply, do you know any cheap 3G pay as you go phone companies, 1MB = £5 ($10) on pay as you go when using your phone abroad Sad?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rahsoftware wrote:
    Hi,

thanks for the reply, do you know any cheap 3G pay as you go phone companies, 1MB = £5 ($10) on pay as you go when using your phone abroad ?

No such thing. The profit margins are next to 99% on PAYG data, no sane cellphone company would dare do otherwise.

The only way to get a good data fee is getting a specific data-plan.

But even so, it's still terrible. Even with 5 bars of signal, my GPRS phone gets me 1700ms latency and sub-28.8kbps (that's kiloBIT, there) speeds.

I'm guessing 3G and EDGE are better.

"3"'s data plan looks attractive, but like all the plans from all the companies, they're only worth it if you're going to use it a lot.

Why not just go without Internet access? It'll do you good y'know Smiley

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

At the rates they are charging, think I might have to go without internet access. Sad.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo wrote:
    But even so, it's still terrible. Even with 5 bars of signal, my GPRS phone gets me 1700ms latency and sub-28.8kbps (that's kiloBIT, there) speeds. I'm guessing 3G and EDGE are better.
    Dude you need an upgrade Tongue Out,  even so EDGE is not much better. We need to extend those free Wi-Fi WAP's if we want cheap internet.

• User profile image
    An_Angel

Personally I'd go and find the nearest cyber cafe.  They seem to be about in most towns, it would be cheapest option I'm sure.  Datacard or Phone will be hugely expensive and not worth the hassle. 

Does all your work require you to be online, or can you collect the online data that you need before going, if so do as much prep that requires internet before you go and then work offline for as much time as possible, and nip into the cyber cafe when you need a connection. 

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

Hi,

I don't need it all of the time no, just to pick my e-mails up mainly, but I know where the cyber-cafe is in town and I have one of those 3U Memory Sticks so I suppose I can always nip in every 2 days or so.

I'll have to wait a few years then until the phone companies decide to lower there prices.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rahsoftware wrote:
    I'll have to wait a few years then until the phone companies decide to lower there prices.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

The telco monopolies and price-fixing has frozen the Internet on mobile devices. They've got a lot to lose by allowing cheap internet access on the move. Say goodbye to the profits from SMS messaging or ringtone downloads, for example.

This is also why when you get a PAYG handset the Wifi has been disabled.

Your only hope is by creating your own cellphone network company with the slogan "We're not evil" and sell things at reasonable prices. It's an idea I've been toying with, wanna start a startup? Smiley

• User profile image
    rahsoftware

Well, why cant someone big i.e. Microsoft start up somehing like "Business Connect" (i'll leaving the naming to the experts) but basically provide 3G data cards and charge good rates and put all the other guys out of business Smiley muhahahahah

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

rahsoftware wrote:
     when using your phone abroad ?

Get a local sim. That'll reduce the cost.

At least there are no more roaming charges in the EU any more.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.