Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Crysis coming soon trailer (HD)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • littleguru

http://www.crysis-france-dwl.com/video/Trailers/[Crysis-France]%20Crysis_Coming_Soon_Trailer.rar">http://www.crysis-france-dwl.com/video/Trailers/[Crysis-France]%20Crysis_Coming_Soon_Trailer.rar

Question is: is this a game or a movie? OK, there are differences, between a movie and in-game graphics... But they are starting to go smaller and smaller. I wonder how long it is going to take until the differences are going to be so thin that we can't see them anymore.

• Bas

I think it's still going to be a while, for human characters at least. I think that extremely realistic characters will still look odd, somehow. Perhaps simply to your brain. It'll look like a perverted meat puppet that's trying to look like a human, but you can still subconciously tell that it isn't real.

I'm looking forward to that trailer. Too bad they RAR'd it. Tongue Out

• littleguru

Bas wrote:
    I'm looking forward to that trailer. Too bad they RAR'd it.

That's the little extra work for you to do Tongue Out

• W3bbo

littleguru wrote:

Bas wrote:
    I'm looking forward to that trailer. Too bad they RAR'd it.

That's the little extra work for you to do

The silly thing being that the *.mov was stored uncompressed. Thus the RAR is actually a few kilobytes larger than the file contained.

Talk about being more than the sum of its parts...

• esoteric

Downloading...

Just use 7-zip. It's more efficient than RAR, Zip and ACE but supports many formats, including RAR.

Crysis is a big step for games, but photo-realism... a loooong ways off...

• dentaku

I like how motion blur and depth of field make games look more like watching video.
    DIRT and Lost Planet use motion blur without it being annoying but I haven't seen depth of field in a game yet so I'm not sure if it will be good or just make people nauseous.
    Sometimes the replays in DIRT look like TV, then you see the trees and it's a game again Smiley

• littleguru

You can do some nice effects with the depth blur. The problem is only that if you switch focus to something that's behind the thing you SHOULD focus it looks weird because of the blur.

• Bas

Portal has some depth of field stuff too, your weapon is constantly out of focus. Not sure if this is also the case for HL2 Episode 2. It looks great, but yeah, it's still more like watching a video than actually being there, because the focus isn't necessarily on whatever you're watching.

Next gaming peripheral: eye-tracking device that tells the game to change the focus of the game depening on the position and focus of your eyes.

• Human​Compiler

I haven't been this excited about a PC game since UT.

• littleguru

Bas wrote:
    Next gaming peripheral: eye-tracking device that tells the game to change the focus of the game depening on the position and focus of your eyes.

Interesting idea. That could fix the depth blur. Although if nothing is blured does the things you don't look at get automatically blurred? At least it is with me so. The stuff I don't watch at get automatically in the background and are some kind of blurred.

I can't agree more with Erik (aka HC). I haven't been that much excited about a game for quite some time! I'm also really excited about how they did the in-game physics, as they did it on their own.

• littleguru

This game makes me create a fund for a new PC. I neet a new Notebook to play it properly. Anybody voluntary to donate...

• Ion Todirel

littleguru wrote:
    This game makes me create a fund for a new PC. I neet a new Notebook to play it properly.
    I don't trust laptops when its come to gamming (thats not related to the fact that i'm getting an xbox), use the right tool for the job i mean a desktop Smiley ya laptops todays are powerfull but desktops are always better. But a desktop with its mobility won't work for you...

• Sven Groot

dentaku wrote:
    I haven't seen depth of field in a game yet

Myst IV used depth of field effects. Focus would follow the cursor, it was pretty neat.

• littleguru

Ion Todirel wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    This game makes me create a fund for a new PC. I neet a new Notebook to play it properly.
    I don't trust laptops when its come to gamming (thats not related to the fact that i'm getting an xbox), use the right tool for the job i mean a desktop ya laptops todays are powerfull but desktops are always better. But a desktop with its mobility won't work for you...

Problem is that half of the year I'm at home and half of the year I'm at the university location. That's why I can't have a desktop... I know that they are way more powerful - also speaking in the sense of how much you can overclock them Cool

• littleguru

Notebooks are actually a sad thing. I would just need to rip off my CPU and get a newer one. That would make it for me... but instead I need to buy a whole new box.

• W3bbo

littleguru wrote:
    Notebooks are actually a sad thing. I would just need to rip off my CPU and get a newer one. That would make it for me... but instead I need to buy a whole new box.

You can upgrade notebook CPUs, but your existing cooling system might not be powerful enough.

And if your laptop has MXM, you can upgrade the GPU too.

• littleguru

W3bbo wrote:

littleguru wrote:

You can upgrade notebook CPUs, but your existing cooling system might not be powerful enough.

And if your laptop has MXM, you can upgrade the GPU too.

Well upgrading a notebook CPU is just a pain in the arse. You know what I mean. And my notebook doesn't allow to upgrade the GPU - no MXM.

• figuerres

www.nanosuit.com

Tongue Out

Yeah my how games have gotten better gfx,  I recall the old Wolfenstine and commander keen, then doom / doom II
    Quake and so on...

Unreal -- when you had to have the custom cards, Vodo etc...

Cry Tech stuff looks amazing, I still have a copy of FarCry I might re-load just for the eye-candy Big Smile

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.