Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

Microsoft and SCO lose

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

SCO and its Microsoft allies lost.  The judge in the case ruled that Novell owns the copyrights to Unix and UnixWare.  SCO has to recognize the waiver Novell gave to IBM and Sequent and SCO owes Novell money from the licenses Sun and Microsoft took out.  If Novell is smart it will revoke Microsoft, SCO, and Suns rights to Unix source code.

Free software won.  Plain and simple.  I wonder how many chairs Ballmer will throw and I bet this really puts a damper on Bill Gates day.  Novell just schooled Microsoft and SCO.  Bill just got own3d.

SCO's stock will plummet, so will Microsofts and OpenSolaris will likely be killed.  The world was set right with this verdict.

• User profile image
    mig

I'm sure Bill cares about this loss... It's all a big conspiracy!

What should I have for breakfast tomorrow morning?

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:
     SCO has to recognize the waiver Novell gave to IBM and Sequent and SCO owes Novell money from the licenses Sun and Microsoft took out.  If Novell is smart it will revoke Microsoft, SCO, and Suns rights to Unix source code.

How can it when you already acknowledge Microsoft paid for?

You're getting dumber by the moment; can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

corona_coder wrote:
       SCO and its Microsoft allies lost.  The judge in the case ruled that Novell owns the copyrights to Unix and UnixWare.  SCO has to recognize the waiver Novell gave to IBM and Sequent and SCO owes Novell money from the licenses Sun and Microsoft took out.  If Novell is smart it will revoke Microsoft, SCO, and Suns rights to Unix source code.

Free software won.  Plain and simple.  I wonder how many chairs Ballmer will throw and I bet this really puts a damper on Bill Gates day.  Novell just schooled Microsoft and SCO.  Bill just got own3d.

SCO's stock will plummet, so will Microsofts and OpenSolaris will likely be killed.  The world was set right with this verdict.

Well Torvalds comments made me think of you, corona.

From slashdot:

Torvalds in interview wrote:
     I actually thought that whole discussion was interesting, not because of any Novell versus MS issues at all, but because all the people talking about them so clearly showed their own biases. The actual partnership itself seemed pretty much a nonissue to me, and not nearly as interesting as the reaction it got from people, and how it was reported

Herbie

• User profile image
    mstefan

I don't see how this has any direct bearing on Microsoft's relationship with Novell. It seems the two are playing nicely together on the playground; what incentive does Novell have to make things adversarial, revoke license agreements and go after Microsoft?

And how does this legal decision translate into Novell "schooling" Microsoft? Your statements have become even less coherent than they were about the whole GPL3 issue. And that's really saying something.

• User profile image
    Ray6

mstefan wrote:

I don't see how this has any direct bearing on Microsoft's relationship with Novell. It seems the two are playing nicely together on the playground; what incentive does Novell have to make things adversarial, revoke license agreements and go after Microsoft?

And how does this legal decision translate into Novell "schooling" Microsoft? Your statements have become even less coherent than they were about the whole GPL3 issue. And that's really saying something.

Novell just scored a big win in France, with 20,000 Linux desktop installations at Peugot. It seems that the deal between MS and Novell had a big part in landing the contract.

Good to see Torvalds distancing himself from the fanatics.

• User profile image
    Rossj

blowdart wrote:

corona_coder wrote:
     SCO has to recognize the waiver Novell gave to IBM and Sequent and SCO owes Novell money from the licenses Sun and Microsoft took out.  If Novell is smart it will revoke Microsoft, SCO, and Suns rights to Unix source code.

How can it when you already acknowledge Microsoft paid for?

I can't believe I am going to try and justify Beer, but please put it down to a bad nights sleep.

Microsoft paid for a licence, but they paid someone who had no right to sell it.  I can't see how the licence is valid.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Rossj wrote:

Microsoft paid for a licence, but they paid someone who had no right to sell it.  I can't see how the licence is valid.

You're right, of course. Though presumably Novell would then be obliged to refund Microsoft the money they get off SCO.

The point is almost certainly moot though, given the agreement between the two companies.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:

Sorry no. SCO did have the right to sell it, sub licensing from Novell, that's not under dispute. SCO didn't give Novell the money as their contract required, however that does not effect the deal between MS & SCO.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

For being all HURRR OPEN SOURCE LINUX, you sure as hell don't have a problem hoping OpenSolaris getting killed. (I need to watch my language)ing hypocrite.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Why is everyone so sore at me?  You lost, life goes on.  Microsoft started this whole mess.  They probably made offer after offer to SCO.  Microsoft is the true instigator in this case and needs to be punished. Revoke the license for one of their server products. OpenSolaris doesnt need to exist.  As Andrew Morton said, no one wants it.  No one uses it.  SCO needs to be punished, what better way than to revoke their license for their core product. 

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:
    Why is everyone so sore at me?  You lost, life goes on.  Microsoft started this whole mess.  They probably made offer after offer to SCO.  Microsoft is the true instigator in this case and needs to be punished.

Prove it. You know, in real terms, as opposed to believing your imagination.

corona_coder wrote:

Revoke the license for one of their server products. OpenSolaris doesnt need to exist.  As Andrew Morton said, no one wants it.  No one uses it.  SCO needs to be punished, what better way than to revoke their license for their core product. 

SCO doesn't produce OpenSolaris.

You're getting over excited again aren't you? Best go upstairs and ask mommy for your medication.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

blowdart wrote:

Its already been proven by BayStar and PJ of Groklaw.  As the voice of the Linux community, SJVN says. " "You poor dumb jerks." It's over."

blowdart wrote:

No but SCO illegally gave Sun permission to produce OpenSolaris.  Jonathan Schwartz must be taking a dump in his pants because Novell is going to kill OpenSolaris or release Unix under the GPL3

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Its already been proven by BayStar and PJ of Groklaw.  As the voice of the Linux community, SJVN says. " "You poor dumb jerks." It's over."

So where's the court case then? Bzzt, Oh dear, there isn't one.

corona_coder wrote:

blowdart wrote:

No but SCO illegally gave Sun permission to produce OpenSolaris.  Jonathan Schwartz must be taking a dump in his pants because Novell is going to kill OpenSolaris or release Unix under the GPL3

Again no they didn't. Even PJ says SCO had the right to sell licenses; both Microsoft and Sun have VALID licensing agreements

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Heh...

Now is not a good time to be named a Unix vendor!

I wonder what drove Apple to do so.

I dont see Novell killing off OpenSolaris. If required, Sun will relicense their Unix contracts with Novell to make everything "happy".

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Chinmay007 wrote:
    Why does Microsoft need a "Unix" licence exactly? Did I miss something because I thought Microsoft sells an operating system called Windows.

They didnt.  Microsof took out a Unix contract specificallyto fund the SCO mess.  It was money well wasted.  Microsoft embarrassed themselves as did Sun.

OpenSolaris doesnt need to exist and since Sun didnt get the license from Novell like they were supposed to redistribution is illegal.  OpenSolaris's days are numbered.

Its in everyones best interest to kill OpenSolaris.  SCO's days are done.  They have no core product, their lawsuit is dead and so are they.  Bill Gates better start quaking in his boots because Darl and his crew are going to start pointing the fingers at Microsoft.  Rightfully so of course.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

corona_coder wrote:
    Why is everyone so sore at me?  You lost, life goes on. 

You poor, misguided, myopic fool.  You think that this was some kind of competition?  If you take a step back, you'll see that the only people who lost are those who have anything to do with the whole *nix mess in the first place.

Now, what company brainless company executive will say "Hey, let's use *nix."?  Peugot, not withstanding (their cars suck), the monsterous bugaboo of the whole *nix mess is that since nobody can figure out who truly owns the rights to license it, you could get scammed repeatedly by alledged 'rights holders'.

Who the hell wants to worry about it.
    Beer28 wrote:

Microsoft started this whole mess.  They probably made offer after offer to SCO.  Microsoft is the true instigator in this case and needs to be punished.  Revoke the license for one of their server products. OpenSolaris doesnt need to exist.  As Andrew Morton said, no one wants it.  No one uses it.  SCO needs to be punished, what better way than to revoke their license for their core product. 

Yes, that will not only cement the idea that *nix licenses are impossible to obtain legally, but it will surely guarantee it's continued existance as a niche product, unfit for public consumption.

Enjoy obscurity.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

corona_coder wrote:

Sun bought a license from SCO for a set of drivers. Their Unix license was bought directly from Novell, probably before you were born. But hey, go on with your bullshit.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.