76 posts

I'm back

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Chadk

Welcome back Rory!

I hope you feel good again, and take care Cool

• Dr Herbie

Good to too you back, Rory.

Don't forget: on your next interview, ask some freaking weird questions, or just some outright rude ones.  You can now blame it on your mental state and/or pretend you never asked them.

I say if you're bipolar, take advantage of it Wink

Herbie

• rjdohnert

Great to have you back Rory.

• Maddus Mattus

Welcome back mate, looking forward to seeing some of your stuff again.

Good to see you are feeling allright!

• Bas

Good to have you back, man.

• Ray6

Welcome back!

Big Smile

Watched a fascinating programme on bipolar disorder the other day (been lying around on the Sky Box for months). Apparently some of the UK's most creative minds suffer from it.

• RamblingGeek​UK

Glad to have you back...

• littleguru

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Don't forget: on your next interview, ask some freaking weird questions, or just some outright rude ones.  You can now blame it on your mental state and/or pretend you never asked them.

I say if you're bipolar, take advantage of it

LOL that's an interesting idea Smiley

• Stebet

It's great to have you back Rory Smiley

• Colin Angus Mackay

First of all: Welcome back Rory. I hope that things work out for you much better now you are on the correct medication. Take it easy.

Next, I really have to take issue with this:

padre wrote:
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way...but it's amazing how many people try to seek fufillment via a career, money, friendships, a bottle, whatever.

They never really find it.

So, my advice is rather simple.

Find God. 

P.S. Yes, He does actually exist, and no, belief doesn't mean abandoning your intellect or your coding abilities.

A guy I know who used to run Alpha Courses (i.e. he'd convert people to Christianity) but is now an atheist told me that one of the reasons he quit was that he'd convert people who had a problem. That would work out for a while until something happened and they fell back into their old habits. e.g. An alcoholic becomes tee-total for a while after "finding god" but for what ever reason falls off the wagon. This time round they fall much harder than they did before. Because this time they hate themselves for what ever it is they don't want to be doing, but this time round god hates them too.

He realised that what was getting people out of their hole was personal will power. It was nothing to do with supernatural beings living in the sky. Yes, people occasionally failed, but when they failed "with God" they got in much worse mess than they were in before. When they failed and it was just them they weren't burdened with the additional distress of having disappointed some mythical bearded guy which they had taken to be real.

So, in short, finding god is probably the worst solution to any problem.

• Massif

Colin Angus Mackay wrote:

Except maybe the "where did I leave God?" problem.

• Bas

A guy I know who used to run Alpha Courses (i.e. he'd convert people to Christianity) but is now an atheist told me that one of the reasons he quit was that he'd convert people who had a problem. That would work out for a while until something happened and they fell back into their old habits. e.g. An alcoholic becomes tee-total for a while after "finding god" but for what ever reason falls off the wagon. This time round they fall much harder than they did before. Because this time they hate themselves for what ever it is they don't want to be doing, but this time round god hates them too.

He realised that what was getting people out of their hole was personal will power. It was nothing to do with supernatural beings living in the sky. Yes, people occasionally failed, but when they failed "with God" they got in much worse mess than they were in before. When they failed and it was just them they weren't burdened with the additional distress of having disappointed some mythical bearded guy which they had taken to be real.

That's assuming everybody thinks exactly the same way. Kind of a simplistic way of reasoning, if you ask me.

• Tensor

Welcome back! We've been saving the pointless religous flame-fests for your return. Enjoy!

• andokai

Ahhh! The inmates are officially running the asylum. Wink

Good to hear you're feeling better.

• billh

Uh...the Alpha Courses have a few well known "issues", and one of their notable downfalls is that they tend to get people "hooked on an experience" rather than sticking to what the Bible says. In some cases, they can actually make things worse. And although I can't speak for the other poster, I would argue that medicine does have its place...and in some cases it is needed. But yeah, not dealing with people's underlying problems is not good either...oh and then there is this rather sobering passage...which seems to address things such as false conversions. But it's not a person's job to force somebody else to convert. 

btw, hi Rory. Welcome back!

• eagle

Massif wrote:

How about the I am God perspective?

• Massif

eagle wrote:

Massif wrote:

How about the I am God perspective?

I think the least said about your ego the better. Tongue Out

• phreaks

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we’ve got him on the spot, 

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.