Coffeehouse Thread

76 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I'm back

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Massif

Tensor wrote:

Sweet zombie Dawkins* you dont give up do you.

(*) I have decided that its unfair of me to swear on various religous figures and that I should instead use famous figures from my own believe-sector to swear with. Henceforth I am using Richard Dawkins as an expletive for suprise, pain, etc.

What does Christopher Hitchens signify?

That just reminded me of Hermes in futurama: "Sweet vanilla of manilla."

• User profile image
    Tensor

Massif wrote:

Dawkins man, Give me a chance!

• User profile image
    Sabot

We do live in strange times.

In some respects I think we actually going backwards!

Not so long ago the Sciences were the popular subjects, using reason, fact and logic was helping us to discover how truly amazing our universe is.

How did we become so skeptical? When did we decide that personal truth was more important than scientific truth?

I know that many religions are growing and our belief in 'new-age' beliefs is also on the increase. I find this alarming!

I respect anyones belief's it's important that their rights are upheld but we need to look at how we are educating ourselves and our children in a balanced and truthful way, teaching all religions and sciences, not one version of a 'truth' and I can say this with full conviction being a Christian for so many years. I didn't just read the bible I used to teach it in Sunday school, on reflection I should have also been teaching the children about other faiths and science so when they were older enough they could choose, I feel now that I was letting those children down by merely in-doctoring them.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sabot wrote:
    I respect anyones belief's

I can't say I do. I give the main religions the benefit of "reasonable doubt", the rest I dismiss and honestly don't believe in "equal rights" for. I'm all for equality, but not with religion.

Scientology is the reason I'm against absolute religious freedom, and to a lesser extent new-age people.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:
    to a lesser extent new-age people.

That's wht you got a hair cut Big Smile

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Entering the ladies restroom?

Wow man... you really must have lost your rocker.

It must be Beer's fault!

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Tensor wrote:

Sweet zombie Dawkins* you dont give up do you.

(*) I have decided that its unfair of me to swear on various religous figures and that I should instead use famous figures from my own believe-sector to swear with. Henceforth I am using Richard Dawkins as an expletive for suprise, pain, etc.

That's a great idea.  Charles f-ing Darwin, why didn't I think of that?

Herbie

• User profile image
    Red5

Hey Rory,
    Good luck with the meds. I hope it helps bring about a state of "normal" for you.

I sometimes think there is too much techno-stuff in our lives.  For myself, I need to step away from the computer in moderation and see what else this life has to offer.  I'm sure most people here feel the same way, but I can't help but wonder if too much techno-stuff acts as a catalyst for a whole host of personal problems.  Brain synapses find a strong pattern of firing and won't let go...that sort of thing...

Anywho, nice to see your shining avatar around again.  Hope you're feeling better each day.

• User profile image
    padre

Sabot wrote:
    We do live in strange times.
    Some days, I actually agree!

Sabot wrote:
    In some respects I think we actually going backwards!

Not so long ago the Sciences were the popular subjects, using reason, fact and logic was helping us to discover how truly amazing our universe is.

How did we become so skeptical? When did we decide that personal truth was more important than scientific truth?
    Define what you mean by "going backwards". Are these people "backwards"?

Gregor Mendel, Isaac Newton, William HerschelBlaise Pascal, Lord Kelvin, Michael Faraday, and Galileo? Let's see...that covers some major figures in genetics, physics, astronomy, math, science, and electricity. Since when was science and Christianity mutually exclusive?

This is a fun list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

It looks like Charles Babbage and even Donald Knuth made the list.

Sabot wrote:
    I know that many religions are growing and our belief in 'new-age' beliefs is also on the increase. I find this alarming!
    Me too!

Sabot wrote:
    I respect anyones belief's it's important that their rights are upheld but we need to look at how we are educating ourselves and our children in a balanced and truthful way, teaching all religions and sciences, not one version of a 'truth' and I can say this with full conviction being a Christian for so many years. I didn't just read the bible I used to teach it in Sunday school, on reflection I should have also been teaching the children about other faiths and science so when they were older enough they could choose, I feel now that I was letting those children down by merely in-doctoring them.
    Wow, I didn't know that. I have great respect for people's beliefs, too, by the way. But to say that Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and other religions all lead to the same path is incorrect...because they all have very different concepts of God, spirituality, the afterlife, etc.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

padre wrote:
    *** Snip ***
    I've been resisting replying to your posts.. I was hoping you might just say what you have to say and let this thread be about Rory coming back and not about you and your religion.

Let this thread be about how happy we are that Rory is back and on his way to getting better. Sure, give him some advice you feel might help him. But hijacking his thread is just wrong.

• User profile image
    irascian

Somewhat late to the party, but welcome back Rory. Good to see you around again and take your time in working out where you want to go and who you want to be with or without meds.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Tensor wrote:

Massif wrote:

Dawkins man, Give me a chance!

A little meditation for children before they go to bed:

"Now I lay me down to sleep,
    pray to Dick Dawkins my self realization to keep.
    If I should die before I wake,
    I won't really notice..."

It needs a little bit of work, but I think  you're on to something with this.

• User profile image
    jamie

welcome back rory Smiley

i have a question..

when C9 opened,  they had "customer/platform evangelist" scoble. 
    he blogged - quite publicly about ms or which ever.

you are such a great writer, personality, and all round tech guy - do you think your napleon blog (ranks quite high on itunes if i remember = mac users) would start to have more ms related content on it?

you are quite witty - and the napoleon site is more of a "diary" now (as you said before)

Im just wondering if there will ever be an extention of C9 - like scoble provided - that you could so totally do better - but it maybe doesnt seem like its in the cards anymore?  (ie videos, the od troll fighting on c9 and napoleon)

i think if anyone could get out there and speak about the possitive stuff coming out at ms - it would be you

..or does C9 no longer need a customer / platform evangelist?

* business/corp evangelists dont count...need someone with personality to spare (like you) Smiley

?

Edit: Cue dylan:  "naw naw naw it ain' me babe - it ain me yr lookin fr babe"

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jamie...he blogged about me.  I work at Microsoft.  What more do you want from him?  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    littleguru

@padre: please don't turn this thread into a religious flame war. We are all happy to have Rory back and please, please don't make this bad! Thank you!

• User profile image
    jamie

haha i know im being the evil marketeer...

<cellphone> ya - i got the guy that almost did himself in ... hes back..  i figure he could take out every other blogger on credability  alone now ... not that he couldnt before

..what..? how do i know if hes feeling up to it! this guy is gold now!
     </cellphone>

i was jus...thinkin...if rory is indeed back... that there is a HUGE hole to be filled at ms to step up too... (or maybe there is no hole)

does c9 need (like old days) BS deflector blogger and human-esque evangelist .. was my question

rory could blow away the previous footprints..if he wanted..
    (*to me it would seem something worth ............. for )

[y]

edit: ..should that .."job" actually exist...  its probably the most important job in the entire computing world. 

• User profile image
    padre

littleguru wrote:
    @padre: please don't turn this thread into a religious flame war. We are all happy to have Rory back and please, please don't make this bad! Thank you!
    @littleguru

I'm not trying to turn this into a flamewar. I'm trying to suggest to you (and him, really) what actually works.Whether or not you believe in that is still up to you of course. But I wouldn't be telling him if I hadn't gone through some similar issues myself (sans medication, but still had the issues). It goes way beyond philosophies, intellectual arguments, debates and all that. But fine, I'll leave this thread and leave you to your own devices. But I still have a right to pull out some code once in a while on here, right?

• User profile image
    littleguru

padre wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    @littleguru

I'm not trying to turn this into a flamewar. I'm trying to suggest to you (and him, really) what actually works.Whether or not you believe in that is still up to you of course. But I wouldn't be telling him if I hadn't gone through some similar issues myself (sans medication, but still had the issues). It goes way beyond philosophies, intellectual arguments, debates and all that. But fine, I'll leave this thread and leave you to your own devices. But I still have a right to pull out some code once in a while on here, right?

Don't get me wrong! If this discussion remains serious, it's OK for everyone... but we had so many flamewars on stuff that is just believe and nobody can proof it - which makes it also that everybody has a slightly other opinion about that topics and turns out to be a bashing and fighting asap (usually).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.