Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Airbus A380 runs windows?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

I ran across this picture of the A380 cockpit.

Look in the screens on the far left and right, behind the side-stick. Looks like Windows to me. Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray6

Sven Groot wrote:

Look in the screens on the far left and right, behind the side-stick. Looks like Windows to me.

If they really are running Windows on any airplane, I can guarantee that it will not be doing anything critical.

Chances are, they're not.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ray6 wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

Look in the screens on the far left and right, behind the side-stick. Looks like Windows to me.

If they really are running Windows on any airplane, I can guarantee that it will not be doing anything critical.

Duh! Smiley

It's an extremely cool looking cockpit though... I hope FS11 will have this thing. Cool

• User profile image
    phreaks

Sven Groot wrote:

Ya, it *looks* like it could be windows...

but what exactly is it doing? My guess is probably diagnostics fuel / part monitoring or youtube browsing.

Typically most navigation systems run on LynxOS or some other flavor of BSD/Linux.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Sven Groot wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

Duh!

It's an extremely cool looking cockpit though... I hope FS11 will have this thing.

Yes. Did love the picture. One of those cockpits that makes you believe you're almost smart enough to fly the thing .... Smiley

• User profile image
    kriskdf

I was in an A330 (I think) not too long ago and they had these personal video player things in the seats.  They were running some flavor of Linux.  How do I know this?  I saw not one, not two, but three of them crash while other people were watching movies and a little penguin popped up while it was rebooting. 

I was listening to my Zune, so I didn't experience the crash myself, but it was somewhat amusing.  I realize it was probably crappy video drivers or something, but still funny.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Billions of dollars in R&D, hundreds of millions on the planes themselves, and they can't upgrade the basic cloth seats? Jeez...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

phreaks wrote:
    Typically most navigation systems run on LynxOS or some other flavor of BSD/Linux.

Er... highly doubt it Smiley

Probably P/DOS or vxWorks or some other hard real time OS. We used P/DOS for the tracking system of a telescope and that thing is a pain to program for, but when it runs, it runs forever.

• User profile image
    phreaks

PaoloM wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Er... highly doubt it

Probably P/DOS or vxWorks or some other hard real time OS. We used P/DOS for the tracking system of a telescope and that thing is a pain to program for, but when it runs, it runs forever.

LynxOS is a real-time OS and so is was IRIX
    and my assertion wasn't speculation...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

phreaks wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Er... highly doubt it

Sorry, brain fart on my side Smiley

Of cours LynxOS is hard RT... nevermind, move along, nothing to see Smiley

• User profile image
    phreaks

PaoloM wrote:

phreaks wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Er... highly doubt it

Sorry, brain fart on my side

Of cours LynxOS is hard RT... nevermind, move along, nothing to see

no harm, no foul. Cool

• User profile image
    Massif

You know if y'all gonna get really picky, there's no such thing as a real-time OS. There's just an OS which has services which make writing real-time programs possible.

(I know that there's a basic set of functionality that you need, and if you have most people will label you a "real time OS" but I also know that means nothing.)

Hell, I've written windows programs which can deterministically respond once per millisecond with a jitter of a couple of clock ticks either side... Granted, it was a device driver, and the clock tick came from a PCI card... But, y'know real-time windows...

Besides which, what would the pilots use to play solitaire on during those long and boring flights while the plane flies itself? They couldn't use playing cards, they might accidentally jam a switch or something.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Massif wrote:

You know if y'all gonna get really picky, there's no such thing as a real-time OS. There's just an OS which has services which make writing real-time programs possible.

(I know that there's a basic set of functionality that you need, and if you have most people will label you a "real time OS" but I also know that means nothing.)

Hell, I've written windows programs which can deterministically respond once per millisecond with a jitter of a couple of clock ticks either side... Granted, it was a device driver, and the clock tick came from a PCI card... But, y'know real-time windows...

Advanced modern RTOS systems also guarantee that CPU cycles and Memory will be available at any given point in time enforced by partitioned isolation in the MMU.

Some (like LynxOS) can also isolate specific processes within the MMU partition.

Talk about hardcore virtualization!

• User profile image
    MB

phreaks wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

but what exactly is it doing? My guess is probably diagnostics fuel / part monitoring or youtube browsing.

Running Flight Simulator ??  Perplexed

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MB wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

Running Flight Simulator ?? 

Actually, running a simulation of reality within a real-world application is very interesting.

It means you can tell if something's gone wrong by how much reality has differed from the controlled simulation, for example.

There was this other thing, where an OS kernel runs a simulation of itself. If the simulation goes kaput because of a faulty driver, the kernel unloads it before it can do any damage.

• User profile image
    phreaks

W3bbo wrote:

MB wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

Actually, running a simulation of reality within a real-world application is very interesting.

It means you can tell if something's gone wrong by how much reality has differed from the controlled simulation, for example.

There was this other thing, where an OS kernel runs a simulation of itself. If the simulation goes kaput because of a faulty driver, the kernel unloads it before it can do any damage.

Very Interesting, indeed.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

P/DOS is a little long in the tooth and only reall available for the older platforms (ie 68k systems), I doubt its VxWorks as this doesnt (as far as I know) have a windowing system.

It may be QNX or LynxOS (havent really played with either of them yet)...

... but Windows? in a control system for a hard real-time application?
    forget it

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

MB wrote:

It almost looks like that, doesn't it? But it's just a tail camera display. Which is really going to help with taxiing; visibility when taxiing isn't actually all that good, especially in large jets.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.