Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Nabbing Scott Guthrie

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rory

Scott Guthrie is in a meeting about five feet from my office.

I'm trying to rally support and excitement among the Channel 9 team, and the whole of DPE if I can, to steal him.

He's so close. It'd be so easy to just take Scott Guthrie. Then we could benefit from his smart.

There's a utility closet down the hall. I figure that would make a good temporary cell. I could cut a section out of the bottom and push microwaved burritos in.

In return for this kindness, he would regularly be smart at us.

I'll let you all know if we're successful.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

I saw him in there too and thought the same thing (minus the kidnapping).

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

You know now that you mention it...I saw him in there also and thought he was delivering scones....

Naw, I just didn't want you guys to have all the fun.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Rory:   get scott to do some stuff on  VS08 and the new ajax and dlinq bits...

way cool stuff....

By the way:

vs 08 ide has a cool bug, I have a form that "dances" in the web-form designer Big Smile

YEAH!  it moves -- it has a life of it's own!!

it keeps trying to update the desing view and keeps adjusting the size of some markup on the page....

UP / Down - 1 sec - Up / Down -- repeat....

the wiggle form

• User profile image
    littleguru

Get him now or never!

• User profile image
    Rory

HumanCompiler wrote:

So... you just want to put him in a closet and feed him burritos by his own free will?

• User profile image
    blowdart

I hate Scott. Really.

Because I had to present at the same time as him. And you could tell everyone just straggled in because his session was full.

So I started off by saying "Hello, I'm sorry I'm not Scott Guthrie".

And one of my friends in the Q&A session asked questions about what Scott was covering next door. Just for badness.

He was supposed to be going into London after the conference to meet his sister. When I left the pub he was still on his laptop coding and demonstrating.

He smells. Big time.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Rory wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote:

So... you just want to put him in a closet and feed him burritos by his own free will?

He is a nice guy.  He just might!  Expressionless

• User profile image
    kettch

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Instead of kidnapping his whole body why not chop his arm off and welcome his bodypart to the C9 team? It's the best of both worlds: asp.net development continues and the C9 team is one arm stronger.

• User profile image
    Blooming​Vision

Is he *that* smart? Obviously I've only seen him on C9 and know that you probably dont get to that kind of a role in MS with only a collection of good one liners and a smile like you might in say... the mortgage industry. But, the idea that he is such a solid and consistent source of good ideas while many other MS'rs might not be or that his proportional weight to his colleagues is so signifigant is... disturbing? Is he human? Alien? a first and experimental incarnation of Singularity? Did he tap the noosphere?

Would it be possible for MSR to quantify each employees 'smarts' and present it in a nice dynamic WPF/Silverlight Tree-Map? That would be 'hot'. Smiley And be a nice way for all those on the 'outside' to really see just how smart he is. And... how brightly the glow is going to be in the doorway cracks from Rory's closet (better get some good electrical tape buddy)

-Brian

• User profile image
    MasterPi

HumanCompiler wrote:

Rory wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote:

He is a nice guy.  He just might! 

Why not take the burritos and put it in the closet? If softies are anything like the scientists I work with, then they will most certainly travel to where the free food is located. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    JChung2006

From my limited interaction with Scott, I get the sense that he is bright and that he really understands the power of delegation when it comes to management.  For instance, I don't think it's just him who comes up with all that stuff on his blog, if you catch my drift.  He polls his team to come up with that sort of content, and he has quite a formidable team at his command.

P.S. Me '92. Him '97.

• User profile image
    Bas

blowdart wrote:
    I hate Scott. Really.

Because I had to present at the same time as him. And you could tell everyone just straggled in because his session was full.

I went to some Visual Studio event in Rotterdam once, and Scott was doing a presentation at the same time as some other guy. Scott's presentation had people sitting on the floor between the chairs, and standing on chairs in the hallway peering in over the heads. The other guy, so I heard later, had a nice private session with about twelve people.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Rory wrote:
    Scott Guthrie is in a meeting about five feet from my office.

I'm trying to rally support and excitement among the Channel 9 team, and the whole of DPE if I can, to steal him.

He's so close. It'd be so easy to just take Scott Guthrie. Then we could benefit from his smart.

There's a utility closet down the hall. I figure that would make a good temporary cell. I could cut a section out of the bottom and push microwaved burritos in.

In return for this kindness, he would regularly be smart at us.

I'll let you all know if we're successful.

Oooh.  Your very own Scott Guthrie. If you managed to capture him, let us know how you did it.  Did you lay a trail of burritos down to the closet, or did you dig a large pit covering it with leaves a twigs using a single burrito as bait?

They're very rare, Scott Guthries, so you should find another one to try and make a breeding pair.  Then  you could export them to collectors all over the world.

Hmmm, this is starting to sound like a script for The Goodies ....

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

Dr Herbie wrote:
    ...try and make a breeding pair. 

Most. Alarming. Phrase. Ever.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:
    ...try and make a breeding pair. 

Most. Alarming. Phrase. Ever.

... I just found details of the specific episode that I was suddenly reminded of -- they captive bred Rolf Harrises, but they escaped. Still funny 30 years later.

Herbie

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Rory, if you do manage to nab him, could you give him internet access, I've asked him a question on his blog.

blowdart wrote:

And one of my friends in the Q&A session asked questions about what Scott was covering next door. Just for badness.

LOL Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.