Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

HP WHS prices leaked

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • blowdart

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/08/20/hp-mediasmart-pricing-leaked-systems-listed-at-amazoncom/

There will be 500Gb and 1Tb variants, with the following US pricing:

500Gb HP MediaSmart EX470 (GG795AA#ABA) - $596 (£299)
    1Tb HP MediaSmart EX475 (GG796AA#ABA) $745 (£374)

Both systems will be powered by a 64-bit (and therefore WHS v2 compatible) 1.8GHz AMD Sempron processor

£374? I am so there next month.

• Bas

I'm buying. Wait, does Amazon even ship hardware overseas?

Edit:

Amazon wrote:

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

Sigh...

• Massif

blowdart wrote:
    http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/08/20/hp-mediasmart-pricing-leaked-systems-listed-at-amazoncom/

Both systems will be powered by a 64-bit (and therefore WHS v2 compatible) 1.8GHz AMD Sempron processor

But that's a straight currency conversion! Surely they'll be adding extras onto that price. I'd be surprised if it actually went on sale here in the UK for less that £450.

Then again, I'd love to be surprised, because keeping photos / videos and music available constantly across my Two PCs is becoming a headache. Not to mention backups, and all the other goodness.

• tezzer

Yep - I did do a straight conversion (for guidance more than anything else), and would also be astounded if HP didn't whack on a premium for the privilege of buying the system here in the UK.

Terry
    We Got Served

• Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:

blowdart wrote:

But that's a straight currency conversion! Surely they'll be adding extras onto that price. I'd be surprised if it actually went on sale here in the UK for less that £450.

I'll bet 10p that the price will be £745 (the old 'swap the currency symbol' ploy).

How much would this item add to a household electricity bill?  I'm never any good at figuring our power consumption.

Herbie

• W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    How much would this item add to a household electricity bill?  I'm never any good at figuring our power consumption.

Isn't it powered by a Celeron?

I reckon my LAN's DC uses about 100W I think, maybe 150W when all the HDDs are wirring and the CPU's doing something (it's an AMD Sempron).

My father reckons it costs about 20p a day to run, so about £73 a year. That's quite a bit, actually.

• Bas

W3bbo wrote:

1.8GHz Sempron, according to Wegotserved.

Dr Herbie wrote:

I'll bet 10p that the price will be £745 (the old 'swap the currency symbol' ploy).

I'm guessing €745 for the European market, too. Yay, customer trust.

• Bas

Dupe.

• Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

I reckon my LAN's DC uses about 100W I think, maybe 150W when all the HDDs are wirring and the CPU's doing something (it's an AMD Sempron).

My father reckons it costs about 20p a day to run, so about £73 a year. That's quite a bit, actually.

Surprising, isn't it?  I do remember at my previous job that the electricity bills were truly shocking -- due to the server room (with air con).  Don't really want a server at home if it's going to add to the electricity bill.   Not until solar panels get a lot better and cheaper, anyway Wink

Herbie

• W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Not until solar panels get a lot better and cheaper, anyway

Some company's got a new concept: photovoltaics integrated into standard roofing tiles. Each tile can give you 52W.

• phreaks

Does anyone know if WHS supports IIS?

I can't seem to find anything detailing specific features.

• W3bbo

phreaks wrote:

WHS runs IIS6, standard accross all NT5.2-based OSes.

• Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Not until solar panels get a lot better and cheaper, anyway

Some company's got a new concept: photovoltaics integrated into standard roofing tiles. Each tile can give you 52W.

Thanks for the link.  There was a government grant you could get to pay for half your roof if it used integrated solar, but I don't know if it's still available, plus you still have to pay several hundred (nearly 1K?) yourself. Was only really worth it if you already had to re-roof a building.
    Plus newer solar tech is more that twice as efficient.  I'm planning on waiting until the improvement rates level out a bit and the price drops some more, and I've got some money to spare.

Herbie

• phreaks

W3bbo wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Great, thanks. So WHS is a mini different version of Win2k3 server ?

• W3bbo

phreaks wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Great, thanks. So WHS is a mini different version of Win2k3 server

It's a cut-down version of Windows Server 2003. They removed Active Directory and Domain Membership (which is just silly), then replaced them with that backup software and a Terminal Services Gateway suite (which will appear in WS2008)

• Bas

phreaks wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Great, thanks. So WHS is a mini different version of Win2k3 server ?

WHS is a certain flavor of Windows Server 2003, yes.

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

blowdart wrote:

aren't those prices a bit inflated? a 500gb hard drive usually costs about 120$ and with the remaining money you could build a epia-based system that would consume far less current than a sempron (the new C7-m consumes about 0.1watt of power when idling!).

• W3bbo

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    aren't those prices a bit inflated? a 500gb hard drive usually costs about 120$ and with the remaining money you could build a epia-based system that would consume far less current than a sempron.

Ah yes, but that money includes:

• MFG's warranty
    • Support services (because home users will break this thing)
    • Quality hardware (HP isn't going to use a cheap £10 case to make this thing)
    • That fancy-shamcny drive mirroring lights indicator

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.